Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dumb Glock question

Feedback Score

dumb Glock question

Long story short I was an idiot and used the wrong tool for stripping the slide on my new G19 that I bought, which ended up slipping and scratching the metal above the striker channel. I should have known better, given that I have stripped the slides on my other Glocks the proper way countless times before.

I questioned whether this small scratch could end up being a stress riser and turn into a crack given enough time and shots fired, and was told that it was nothing to worry about, as "metal does not work this way" or "this not how cracks form."

These comments were never expanded upon, so I am hoping either an armorer or someone with greater metallurgical knowledge than I could explain to me these comments.

Here is a link to an album with pictures of the scratch (the darker one on the left).

http://imgur.com/a/pnCCm
    Last edited by roar; 08-14-12 at 10:55.
    AR-15 Novice

Feedback Score
    I'm not an expert, but it looks like a cosmetic scratch. Duty weapons get hell of a lot more scratched than that. I wouldn't worry too much.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I seriously doubt that would ever be a problem. Go forth and shoot.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    I know that guns get scratched all the time and its completely fine. If I got scratches or other marks on the outside of the slide I wouldn't care one bit. The location of this scratch on top of the thin metal covering the striker channel just made me go "hmmm."

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether recoil could ever make this scratch turn into something worse.
    AR-15 Novice

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    I know that guns get scratched all the time and its completely fine. If I got scratches or other marks on the outside of the slide I wouldn't care one bit. The location of this scratch on top of the thin metal covering the striker channel just made me go "hmmm."

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether recoil could ever make this scratch turn into something worse.
    I'm no expert either but I'd say if your really worried about it just check on it every once and awhile, you'd be able to notice if it was getting bad enough to be worried about. Otherwise it looks like no big deal. Shoot, rinse, and repeat

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I questioned whether this small scratch could end up being a stress riser and turn into a crack given enough time and shots fired, and was told that it was nothing to worry about, as "metal does not work this way" or "this not how cracks form."
    Whoever told you that is right.

That just looks like a finish scratch. The black coating is just that, a coating.

You would have had to use a tool that was harder than the Tennifer "case hardening" to actually scratch it.

What type of tool were you using?

Remember Tennifer or Melonite or other nitrocaburizing have nearly the hardness of diamonds. (Rockwell 60 on the C scale, I think)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post

That just looks like a finish scratch. The black coating is just that, a coating.

You would have had to use a tool that was harder than the Tennifer "case hardening" to actually scratch it.

Remember Tennifer or Melonite or other nitrocaburizing have nearly the hardness of diamonds. (Rockwell 60 on the C scale, I think)
    It was the tiny flathead on my Leatherman squirt. It was nearby when I was cleaning my new 19, so I grabbed it thinking it would be good enough. I was wrong!
    AR-15 Novice

Feedback Score
    I'll bet your glock slide is a lot harder than your leatherman squirt. Drive on. Check it occasionally if you are worried about it.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    Shooting my new Glock and keeping an eye on the scratch I created has been the plan all along!

Quote Originally Posted by greatnw View Post
    I'm no expert either but I'd say if your really worried about it just check on it every once and awhile, you'd be able to notice if it was getting bad enough to be worried about. Otherwise it looks like no big deal. Shoot, rinse, and repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    I'll bet your glock slide is a lot harder than your leatherman squirt. Drive on. Check it occasionally if you are worried about it.
    I'd sure hope that my Austrian made Glock has harder steel than the steel parts in a Taiwanese multitool!

Here is one of the original reasons why I was so surprised at the scratch: A long time ago at a range far far away I accidentally dropped my Glock 22 onto the concrete floor. It hit pretty hard, but the end result was a bit of concrete that ended up transferring to the slide. This concrete wiped off to reveal a completely flawless slide with absolutely no marks or anything. Now I realize a pokey little flathead screwdriver is not the same thing as a concrete floor, but there you have it

Thanks for the replies everyone. If any additional lessons on steel or nitrocarburizing are to be had, I'd love to listen.
    Last edited by roar; 08-14-12 at 16:50.
    AR-15 Novice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    does not look very deep so I would not worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast