Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is there a "scout rifle" option in 223?

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine said he spied a few M700 Youth Remingtons in 223 and 243 at a gun show in the 300-400 dollar range.

That is probably my best option and the cheapest - hit the shows with cash for a 223 caliber M700 or maybe a push feed Model 70 in 223.

They are still out there and very affordable.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
    purely informational, steyr does make a 223 "scout".
    http://www.steyrarms.com/products/hunting-rifles/scout/

as far as price of the project...do compare the cost of piecing it together, time to do so, with just saving and buying a steyr.

If you don't mind used, you might save some money there. I once saw a pre owned 223 steyr scout for sale....$650... I still kick my self for not buying it right then and there.

cheaper than dirt has one listed for $1760. I found another on gunsamerica listed at 98% for $1400. After you add up your cost and time to make your home made scout, can you beat that? just some food for thought.

Jeez...where was I at when those offers were on the table! haha
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Check out the CZ 527. Short barrel, iron sighted, and has detachable mags. Also comes in 7.62x39.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/a...auction_show/1

This one shows no irons but I'm almost certain they can be had with irons.
    Second on the cz 527. I own a few cz452s and love them. A 527 is at the top of my current list.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Too bad they don't make the 527 with a 1:7 twist..even better yet a 6.8

Feedback Score

Wink

Col Cooper is turning over in his grave...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper
    "There is no possible reason for a scout-type rifle in that caliber".
    "One would ask what possible use there might be for that piece. An answer, of course, is "to sell!" I suppose people will buy it, but if anyone shows up here at the Ranch with one, he will be viewed with scorn."
    "I now await the Luftscout, which is an airgun riding in a Scout stock."

Feedback Score
    Col. Cooper also poo pooed the Glock and thought it was junk.

I admire the Colonel and what he brought to the table but not everything he said or believed is golden.

...there...I said it...flame away! LOL

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    Or the Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter.

It has a 20" barrel though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Years ago, I did extensive research on the Scout, which included exchanging several letters with Cooper on it. After building one and hunting with nothing else for several years, I went to a short, light .308 that has a conventional scope. Several fairly high-profile Cooper disciples did the same.

As you look at Scouts today, remember that Cooper only outlined the concept. Most of the rifles that he had built, like his daughter’s rifle, do not meet his own demands. Also remember that we have components that he didn’t: he wrote that a Scout scope should not be more than 2.5x (1x was fine) and that it should have a colored reticle, which sounds a lot like a T-1 or an ACOG to me.

He focused on bolt guns because no 308 semis were light enough, but he often wrote that a Scout could be a semi or a lever gun if it made weight. So if you want a 223, then why not build a featherweight M-4 as described in many threads on the custom forum? You’d get nearly all key Scout criteria: good trigger, detachable magazines, folding sights, three-point sling, and forward-mounted scope. You’d probably still be able to make weight, which is where most people depart from the original concept.

If I had to build a 223 Scout on a bolt-action, then I’d use a Remington M-7. I’d put a T-1 on the forward receiver ring, then add iron sights, a three-point sling, and a better stock. The CZ and the Remington 788 are also good choices, but it costs more to get them across the finish line.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234