Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Mitchell Arms M90 Price?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0

    Mitchell Arms M90 Price?

    I found someone selling a Mitchell arms m90. It looks to be in 99% condition. Possibly unfired from what I can tell. What is a good price for this rifle?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,325
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I "believe" A M90 is a post 89 compliance import sporter.

    It looks as if this one has been returned to preban configuration but likely lacks a bayo lug and muzzle threads or a muzzle device has been permanently mounted.

    Can't tell exactly from the pics obviously.

    A true preban Kassner import can go from $1500-2000 depending upon condition. Yugo imports are extremely well made and generally compete with Polytechs as one of the more desirable early AKs.

    A reconfigured sporter would probably be worth $1000-1200 depending upon exactly what was done with it.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    A Cardboard Box
    Posts
    1,222
    Feedback Score
    0
    Jeez Steyr, you think that you would be an expert with AK's or something...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,325
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Jeez Steyr, you think that you would be an expert with AK's or something...
    Scary what I've learned ain't it?

    I honestly don't consider myself an "expert" on AKs, but I've managed to learn quite a bit along the way.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,098
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    I "believe" A M90 is a post 89 compliance import sporter.

    It looks as if this one has been returned to preban configuration but likely lacks a bayo lug and muzzle threads or a muzzle device has been permanently mounted.

    Can't tell exactly from the pics obviously.

    A true preban Kassner import can go from $1500-2000 depending upon condition. Yugo imports are extremely well made and generally compete with Polytechs as one of the more desirable early AKs.

    A reconfigured sporter would probably be worth $1000-1200 depending upon exactly what was done with it.
    The Kassnar is not Yugo, it's Hungarian. The Yugo rifles differ from AKMs (like the SA-85M) in a number of ways, they use RPK receivers, use different furniture, and don't have chrome-lined barrels. Many people (myself included) find the stock awkward and uncomfortable to shoot.

    The Mitchell M-90s are post-'89. Steyr's price range is about right, $1000-$1200, with the underfolders bringing $1200-$1500 (or so). A very small number of pre-'89 M70s (which is what this rifle actually is, Mitchell re-stenciled them M90) were imported by Mitchell and they command more.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,325
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    The Kassnar is not Yugo, it's Hungarian. The Yugo rifles differ from AKMs (like the SA-85M) in a number of ways, they use RPK receivers, use different furniture, and don't have chrome-lined barrels. Many people (myself included) find the stock awkward and uncomfortable to shoot.
    Shit, you're right. I got them mixed up with the FEGs. Thanks for the catch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    The Mitchell M-90s are post-'89. Steyr's price range is about right, $1000-$1200, with the underfolders bringing $1200-$1500 (or so). A very small number of pre-'89 M70s (which is what this rifle actually is, Mitchell re-stenciled them M90) were imported by Mitchell and they command more.
    The rear push button for the top cover told me they were Yugos but I confused them with the Hungarians. Too many ****ing AKs to keep straight. I'm assuming the M90s were imported in a thumbhole stock config?

    Last edited by SteyrAUG; 09-24-12 at 20:20.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,098
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post


    The rear push button for the top cover told me they were Yugos but I confused them with the Hungarians. Too many ****ing AKs to keep straight. I'm assuming the M90s were imported in a thumbhole stock config?

    No, they were imported in M70 state but got caught in customs when the '89 ban came down. The rifles were neutered to the liking of the BATF (though how I'm not entirely sure) and released for sale in 1994.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow.... Lots of great info. I know a decent amount about AKs but had never heard of a mitchell arms.

    Here are some more pics if it helps






  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,325
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The M prefix really should have tipped me off given all the CAI M70s floating around. Redmanfms is dead on with his ID, you can even see the beefed up receiver in your recent pics.

    Not sure exactly what was done for compliance but it looks very much like an intact bayo lug. I'm ASSUMING the flash hider has been replaced although I have no idea how a birdcage makes it more compliant than a slant brake.

    The electro pencil markings are obvious (and that was my major clue as to post ban status along with the "90" number) but other than that I'm not seeing a lot of differences between that and what would be a preban.

    Looks like correct (possibly original to the firearm) Yugo furniture.

    Except for the non chrome barrel (as is correct for a Yugo) it would be a very desirable AK variant. So if you are looking for a collectible (and in this case even a postban is sorta rare) this would be a fine addition.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    The M prefix really should have tipped me off given all the CAI M70s floating around. Redmanfms is dead on with his ID, you can even see the beefed up receiver in your recent pics.

    Not sure exactly what was done for compliance but it looks very much like an intact bayo lug. I'm ASSUMING the flash hider has been replaced although I have no idea how a birdcage makes it more compliant than a slant brake.

    The electro pencil markings are obvious (and that was my major clue as to post ban status along with the "90" number) but other than that I'm not seeing a lot of differences between that and what would be a preban.

    Looks like correct (possibly original to the firearm) Yugo furniture.

    Except for the non chrome barrel (as is correct for a Yugo) it would be a very desirable AK variant. So if you are looking for a collectible (and in this case even a postban is sorta rare) this would be a fine addition.
    The birdcage in the second picture of the new batch of uploaded pics does appear to have a different finish. Receiver does look beefy. The furniture in my non-expert opinion does look to be original (aged look).

    Thanks for all your input. After checking completed listings on GB prices are all over the place. All seemed to have the electro pencil M90 with the RPK47 marking removed.
    Last edited by jdk32581; 09-25-12 at 00:37.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0
    After looking more closely on GB, all models labeled as preban and bringing a high price have a slant brake. I was unable to find any rifles with a birdcage. They also have the RPK47 marking intact. Furniture is all over the place with different types and finishes. If the evil slant brake and threads were removed during the ban why would the bayo lug be intact? Also if the slant brake and threads were removed that would have to mean that someone re-threaded the barrel and added the birdcage? I am no expert and this is kind of confusing. Gonna keep researching........

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0
    FWIW
    "Basically these were pre 89 guns caught in customs when the ban went into effect........to get them out and be able to sell them, Mitchell and ATF came to a agreement to bring them up to the then new current regs.......Mitchell scrubbed the original AK-47 + RPK-47 markings which were banned by name....and replaced with " m-90" - model 90.......they also had to remove original stock sets , pin flash hiders in place, remove nite sites, shave sides of bayonet lug...The original stock sets were usually included in the box and were later approved by the ATF to put them back on the gun- There is a letter somewhere online attesting to this .....Great guns i have a Few M90 mitchells , and a bunch of the pre 89 ones as well........ Essentially same gun...... You cannot compare these to the current kit guns/U.S. builds......"

    Could not load the ATF letter because I am not a member of that forum but here is the link-

    Found this in this thread- http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...er-Certificate

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,325
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk32581 View Post
    FWIW
    "Basically these were pre 89 guns caught in customs when the ban went into effect........to get them out and be able to sell them, Mitchell and ATF came to a agreement to bring them up to the then new current regs.......Mitchell scrubbed the original AK-47 + RPK-47 markings which were banned by name....and replaced with " m-90" - model 90.......they also had to remove original stock sets , pin flash hiders in place, remove nite sites, shave sides of bayonet lug...The original stock sets were usually included in the box and were later approved by the ATF to put them back on the gun- There is a letter somewhere online attesting to this .....Great guns i have a Few M90 mitchells , and a bunch of the pre 89 ones as well........ Essentially same gun...... You cannot compare these to the current kit guns/U.S. builds......"

    Could not load the ATF letter because I am not a member of that forum but here is the link-

    Found this in this thread- http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...er-Certificate
    That explains quite a bit.

    This can be a problem with rare AKs. If you have a Polytech pretty much every collector knows everything important about it, even the rare variants. But give them a GSAD import that is virtually the same rifle and they often don't even know what it is.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0
    Found this completed listing on GB. It has some type of flash hider not sure which kind. Here is the link but you must be signed into GB to view this page (I think)- http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=302139034

    Also found this thread which is about an M90 underfolder that seems to have some good info.

    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_89/13...derfolder.html

    The flash hider pictured above is just a A2 style bird cage correct?
    Last edited by jdk32581; 09-25-12 at 03:09.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    A Cardboard Box
    Posts
    1,222
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk32581 View Post
    Wow.... Lots of great info. I know a decent amount about AKs but had never heard of a mitchell arms.
    Diddo, it's a nice rifle! The only turn off for me would be the huge lettering of SAFE and FIRE.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,325
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk32581 View Post
    The flash hider pictured above is just a A2 style bird cage correct?
    Except that it would have to be threaded for 14x1LH.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •