Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Bolt from Brownells (223 vs 5.56)

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I would return your order, but not for the caliber. There are much better deals on Colt products available. You can get the entire bcg from ratworx for $40 more or even order the bolt from Specialized armament for $60 less.
    Last edited by amd5007; 10-23-12 at 13:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    .223 and 5.56 cases are identical...the difference is in the powder charges, 5.56 being hotter and in the chambers themselves...
    Actually this is incorrect. The exterior dimensions of the brass are the same, but the thickness of the shoulder is not the same (5.56 NATO has a thicker shoulder). You are correct on the majority of difference being in the actual chamber dimensions though. This is a pretty good explanation: http://weaponsman.com/?p=604.

As to the initial question; there are no dimensional differences between the .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO AR-bolts - the difference is in the chamber and throat.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The bolt is fine. There's ONE SPEC for a Colt Bolt.
    Having talked to one of the Colt reps not to long ago I asked this same question. I was told they are the same across the board.

OP

I think it's listed as .223 because its a standard description across the board. Just my speculation though.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Even though Brownells is a well regarded sponsor here, $170 for a Colt bolt assembly is pretty steep. amd5007 gave some good alternative sources. You might want to consider BCM bolts for $70.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Even though Brownells is a well regarded sponsor here, $170 for a Colt bolt assembly is pretty steep. amd5007 gave some good alternative sources. You might want to consider BCM bolts for $70.
    That is insanity. $170??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That is insanity. $170??
    wish I had asked here first before buying.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Return it. Brownells has a good return policy. Put the money right back on your CC.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    A complete BCM bolt carrier is only 159.00 and there are a few Colt BCG's on Gunbroker for 175.00.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Brownell's seems to be such a good vendor....I wonder why their price on this item is so high?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
    Brownell's seems to be such a good vendor....I wonder why their price on this item is so high?
    It seems to me that their prices were based on market value from years ago before Colt offered their products through other vendors or via their website. In which case, Brownells was the only retailer selling the majority of Colt items and charging a premium. I guess they never reevaluated their pricing in the current market.

In my own experience, several years ago when I was building more 1911s, Brownells was the only place to source Colt parts at a reasonable price. Now even Midway sells Colt parts.
    Last edited by amd5007; 10-23-12 at 15:32.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast