Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable NFA Gun Trust

Feedback Score
    I meant this as a serious question, and I have never used legal zoom for anything.

There are a lot of 'how to' threads for NFA on the internet. I have seen quite a few 'my application got rejected because of (forgot form, forgot to sign, single sided copies, filled out form wrong, didn't send copy of entire trust, didn't send 'schedule A', forgot to include the check) posts. I don't think I've ever seen one, anywhere, ever, where a packet got rejected, or had any problems because of a self done trust.

I'm sure someone can scour the web and produce one or two, but compared to the volume of home made trusts being submitted, I just can't believe that all of these people got 'shy' when their trust got rejected. Nobody seems to be shy when they forget to sign the form, or only include one copy of the form 1, I'm not sure why they'd be shy when their trust got rejected for content, if this were happening.

I would expect a load of threads titled 'You guys all told me this would work. What do I do now?'.

Feedback Score
    An issue with the trust used to transfer an NFA item might not result in the transfer being rejected. In fact, the worst scenarios would occur after a transfer had been approved. Simply having them reject an application up front may very well be better than potentially-serious legal problems in the future if it was approved.

The fact that the regulations are somewhat open to interpretation by the ATF is a big part of why I feel it's appropriate to be so cautious with this process. The fact that the laws could change at the peril of law-abiding citizens, who thought they were in compliance, creates the opportunity to find yourself in a questionable situation.

Feedback Score
    Since Im new to this Trust and NFA items.
    Serious questions:
    What things can happen if the trust is written up incorrectly? How will it get someone in legal trouble?

Matt

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MValdez17 View Post
    Since Im new to this Trust and NFA items.
    Serious questions:
    What things can happen if the trust is written up incorrectly? How will it get someone in legal trouble?

Matt
    Imagine the atf accepts your trust, transfers the item to your trust, then your trust takes possession of an nfa item or two. Except your trust isn't legal because it's missing something important. I'm not an expert in trusts and estates, but I think a non legal trust is the same as no trust at all. Thus, you could be in illegal possession of NFA items, which would be a felony and remove your right to own any firearms for life.

But that's the worst case scenario.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Thank you.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    Imagine scary stuff happens. Picture it: Jack booted thugs, kicking your dog.

You can imagine it, but you can't find examples of it, because there aren't any. It's just not happening.

Here is a link to a guy that says he talked to the chief NFA examiner of the ATF...and asked him if Trusts have ever been invalidated after the fact; and he says it's only happened once, because the trust was set up in a foreign country, and was not lawful.

http://ncsilencer.blogspot.com/2011/...fa-trusts.html

But please, don't let me stop you finding all the examples of these 'bad' lawyer free trusts... I'd really like to see them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Imagine scary stuff happens. Picture it: Jack booted thugs, kicking your dog.

You can imagine it, but you can't find examples of it, because there aren't any. It's just not happening.

Here is a link to a guy that says he talked to the chief NFA examiner of the ATF...and asked him if Trusts have ever been invalidated after the fact; and he says it's only happened once, because the trust was set up in a foreign country, and was not lawful.

http://ncsilencer.blogspot.com/2011/...fa-trusts.html

But please, don't let me stop you finding all the examples of these 'bad' lawyer free trusts... I'd really like to see them.
    that is a good article thanks for sharing it

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    That was a good article. Thanks for sharing it. As I already have a trust, I was wondering if anyone has used the MyNFAtrust website to obtain a trust. Has anyone had any issues? Money is too tight for me to try it out. But then again, if I did it and it turned out to be the exact same as mine, I would be pretty mad, I paid $600 when I could have spent six time less.
    Last edited by Evil Bert; 11-27-12 at 13:31.
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Paterno is about as innocent as Eric Holder in F&F...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I don't have an issue with reviving a necropost. It's much better than 30 new lube threads every week.

Feedback Score
    I can't speak to the trusts that web site provides, but I'm 5 or 6 trusts deep in Willmaker and haven't had a problem yet. I just got a copy off of Amazon for $8 shipped (2006 edition new in box). Doesn't get much better than that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been looking into the various ways of creating a trust (Willmaker, mynfatrust.net, and lawyers) and one of the lawyers i contacted, told me this

Finally, when deciding whether to create a trust, please beware that only a licensed attorney may create a trust for you. It is a crime for others to so, even if it’s a friend or a gun dealer. Moreover gun dealers have a conflict of interest in providing you legal advice concerning your purchase from them.
    Is this specific to my state (ohio) or is he taking the laws out of context or something? Thanks

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast