Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Scout or Tikka T3

Feedback Score

Ruger Scout or Tikka T3

I'm looking for a General Purpose Rifle,I'm considering a Ruger Scout Rifle and a Tikka T3 stainless synthetic both in .308,I'd like to know your opinions please on how they compare?I would have to have the barrel cut on the Tikka,16"-18",any opinions on that also please?I'd also like to use a conventional scope set-up any suggestions on optics?Thanks for any help.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    I'm looking for a General Purpose Rifle,I'm considering a Ruger Scout Rifle and a Tikka T3 stainless synthetic both in .308,I'd like to know your opinions please on how they compare?I would have to have the barrel cut on the Tikka,16"-18",any opinions on that also please?I'd also like to use a conventional scope set-up any suggestions on optics?Thanks for any help.
    I spent quite a bit of time and money working with the Scout concept back in the 90s. After that, I settled on a short, light 308 with a 4x Leupold scope.

The Ruger Scout has a lot of features that you may or may not need. If I wasn't going to carry it much, it might be worth putting up with the Ruger's extra weight. If I was going to carry it, I'd go with the Tikka. But I also wouldn't cut the barrel at all unless I had to get the rifle in and out of a vehicle several times a day. Even then, I wouldn't cut it shorter than about 20". The noise and blast of the 308 in a shorter barrel are pretty spectacular.

Get the Tikka, scope it with something like a Leupold 1-4 variable, put a good sling on it, and go kill stuff.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Okie John,sir,thanks for the reply,in the Tikka would you go .308 or 30-06?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Okie John,sir,thanks for the reply,in the Tikka would you go .308 or 30-06?
    There is little if anything a '06 brings to the table that the .308 does when it is all boiled down, IMO. The '06 is heavier, longer throw, potentially more expensive. Unless you plan to reload and then I guess the 30-06 gives you a little more latitude.

I'd go with the 308. 2 bits. Especially in a 'scout' type setup
    Last edited by PrivateCitizen; 12-13-12 at 12:19.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Private Citizen pretty much nailed it. They're both great cartridges, but a 308 rifle can be a little lighter.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Look at the new Winchester M70s.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My brother has a Ruger Scout and so far I am not impressed. I have been able to shoot this rifle quite a bit the past couple of months and have made some early observations.

The trigger feels quite heavy and I do not have a scale to measure it. We were getting 4 inch groupings at best with a variety of Winchester and Federal loads at 100 yards.

Again, these are just some early observations with the rifle. When I get more trigger time with it I will report back.

Feedback Score
    With factory ammo, I'd go .308 for the reasons mentioned above. If you handload, you can do heavier bullets (200-gr, 220-gr) in the .30-'06, and sometimes that's necessary or useful (a good all-purpose light-medium African rifle, for instance). But if you want a light, handy medium rifle for shooting most anything in the lower 48 states, I'd go with a .308 and get some of the Barnes TTSX loads.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had too many disappointing rifles, pistols and revolvers from Ruger. I will only buy a Ruger now if no comparable gun is available from someone else. I then buy with the expectation that the gun will have problems that will have to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    My brother has a Ruger Scout and so far I am not impressed. I have been able to shoot this rifle quite a bit the past couple of months and have made some early observations.

The trigger feels quite heavy and I do not have a scale to measure it. We were getting 4 inch groupings at best with a variety of Winchester and Federal loads at 100 yards.

Again, these are just some early observations with the rifle. When I get more trigger time with it I will report back.
    Pretty much typical of my experience. I have two Ruger bolt actions now, both re-barreled, re-triggered and glass bedded. Neither of them were worth a shit out of the box. Several others I have had over the years were much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    ....... Even then, I wouldn't cut it shorter than about 20". The noise and blast of the 308 in a shorter barrel are pretty spectacular......Get the Tikka, scope it with something like a Leupold 1-4 variable, put a good sling on it, and go kill stuff. ....Okie John
    Amen to that. I have several ARs, SCARs and such in 308, all with short barrels. The blast is amazing out of those short barrels. It has to be horrible without ear protection. I will not put a muzzle brake on anything I might shoot without ears on. That includes 458 Win mag and 416 Rigby. I'd suggest a 4X Leupold. I have six or seven on various rifles, very simple, light, durable and effective.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 12-13-12 at 18:51.

Feedback Score
    I would rather have the Tikka in 308 over the Ruger.
    Plus you can get the Tikka cheaper.

I am wary of Ruger rifles but the Ruger American sounds good so far.
    It could be the poor mans Tikka??
    Would like to hear more reports.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast