Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope recommendations? Short and light.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Scope recommendations? Short and light.

I am looking into putting a scope on a non-collectible Swede M38. I am planning on a Timney trigger install, and probably swapping out the original safety for a scope-friendly one too.

Being a small ring Mauser, this severely limits my choice of bases... Leupold being the only brand I can find that I even recognize. I am looking for a small light weight scope to put on it for hunting. Assume 200yds to target or LESS. I am thinking of the Leupold VX I-II in 2-7x33. Anybody else got a suggestion? Price is a concern--this is a meat-Mauser, not a target rifle. I don't need to count fleas on the deer at 400yds! I have thought about the Vortex 1-4x line but need to get eyes on one to see how much light it brings to my aging eyes.

TIA,
    Vic303
    Last edited by Vic303; 12-25-12 at 09:55.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're never wrong with a 4x Leupold on a meat gun. Brownell's has a ton of mounts for the M38 Swede. They should solve the whole "small ring" problem, which I'm not sure is a problem at all.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    A simple 4x Weaver would work well too. Nice bright Japanese glass, track properly and the price is right.

While I have Nightforces, IORs USOs, Leupolds, etc, I have more than a few Weavers on other general purpose guns and have been quite satisfied with thier quality.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The IOR Valdada 4x scopes are quite good for the money. The vortex pst does an excellent job of light transmission in low-light for the money.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I suppose I should post the proposed budget for this scope as under $250. I am considering one of the Vortex Viper 2-7's but not the PST as that one is more scope than the rifle merits.

LR, are you recommending a new Weaver 4x, or an old one? If new, what are they running, cost-wise?
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    Redfield 2-7.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    1-4 shotgun scope with turkey plex that leupold sells

Feedback Score

Found: one 2-7 Leupy

Call 515 351 7032 for Dave. He's asking $275 with matte finish. This is listed in GUNLISTINGS under accessories for this past Sunday in IOWA. He shows an Ames-Churdan area, at most 65 miles from my house. Now, if he sends you a box of rocks call me 515 274 5541 and I'll Deliver him to Justice. Nah, most Iowans are quite honest, at least after 7 years in Chicago I think so. Came back to Des Moines for the peace and quiet-it's all relative. Good luck. Posted 1/1/13 @10:35 pm.

Feedback Score
    I'd go with the IOR Valdada 4x as mentioned. Very good glass.
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just got a Vortex Diamonback 4-12 for 200. They had 3-9s and 2-7s for the same price. I've been very pleased with every Vortex I have used and my friends and family all say the same.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast