Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Trident how far down are the rebar posts in the soil? Looks like clay soil. I like the simplicity of your stand but I would think that the steel swinging back and forth(especially with .308) would cause the stand to cut a channel in the soil until the stand fell over.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    You never disappoint Trident.

What are you doing, taping the small White Lighting containers to the steel?
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    About $60 worth of 1" black pipe and some elbows and T's. The legs will unscrew for easy transport if necessary.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I like that Hmac.

Does the steel plates hung from the bunjee cords jump around alot when hit?
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post

Hey guys, another installment of my DIY themed threads, this time around it's making an ultra portable/cheap steel target stand on the super cheap.

Goal:

Create a longer term steel target stand solution focusing heavily on three aspects.

A. It must be incredibly portable, in order to be humped into LR shooting locales vs. drive up shooting ranges.

B. Must be able to be constructed very easily, or with very minimal effort, tools, and time invested in the DIY process.

C. The overall cost of the finish product must be on the super cheap....for me the definition of super cheap is around $20 or less.

I'll be overall brief here, since the video hopefully will portray the general idea better than I can by typing it.

DIY: Ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

I'll be happy to elaborate on anything, or answer any particular questions for those interested.

You know how you know that you're getting old? When you look at the pics of this target stand system and you say to yourself, "that is really cool, brilliant even". Then you notice the cast iron garden seat and think, "wow, that's worth some bucks. With just a little paint....."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Trident how far down are the rebar posts in the soil? Looks like clay soil. I like the simplicity of your stand but I would think that the steel swinging back and forth(especially with .308) would cause the stand to cut a channel in the soil until the stand fell over.

That's an excellent point, and one that should be considered when setting the target up initially. I usually shoot this target with .308...however it's almost always at 700yds +. So it's not rocking to bad. Large round counts of .308 at 100yds....yeah, better stake the hell out of these posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    You never disappoint Trident.

What are you doing, taping the small White Lighting containers to the steel?
    Thanks brother...and you're correct on the taping.

I like to spread it thinner and increase the target's surface area in order to assure it gets hit...therefore I make my own "containers" with thick paper and plastic wrap.

Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-21-13 at 19:55.

Feedback Score
    Simple and cheap, but all the fence posts combined are a little heavy. However, the fence posts remain behind and do not make the trip forth and back.

Feedback Score

Re: DIY ultra portable/cheap steel target stand

This is some great stuff. Thank you for sharing it. I just have one question. Is there any place you guys recommend going to for the plates them selves.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdog View Post
    This is some great stuff. Thank you for sharing it. I just have one question. Is there any place you guys recommend going to for the plates them selves.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

http://www.custommetalprod.com/shoot...-23-size-torso
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    I like that Hmac.

Does the steel plates hung from the bunjee cords jump around alot when hit?

Yeh, they do swing around on the bungees. Here's a youtube video -- first part shows shooting those plates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtpGrPpxIEA

It wouldn't be hard to stabilize them, I guess, but I've found that the movement actually adds some interest to the exercise and have never gotten around to it. We shoot these with ARs from 50 yards and out and closer than that with pistols, paying attention to the angles of the plates. They hang on standoffs at the top so that they angle down about 20 degrees.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast