Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time buying sights with tritium lamps

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Target practice at night is not normally productive..
    Most fights happen at night, so target practice at night is extremely productive. You also may find that your night zero is not the same as your day zero because the lamps aren't always installed exactly where they should be, and you won't find that out shooting in broad daylight.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I've never jumped on the tritium wagon due to wanting to avoid issues that many people report to have. I can't stomach the price knowing the possible issues. My brother dropped almost $200 on 'new' tritiums & front sight was dead (super dim) a week later.
    He obviously had a leak. Who installed them? I had meprolites that were great and cost $80. That's eating out 1 night at a nice restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Most fights happen at night, so target practice at night is extremely productive. You also may find that your night zero is not the same as your day zero because the lamps aren't always installed exactly where they should be, and you won't find that out shooting in broad daylight.

Okie John
    This. Also - tritium is helpful for MUCH more than just at night.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-09-14 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    He obviously had a leak. Who installed them? I had meprolites that were great and cost $80. That's eating out 1 night at a nice restaurant.
    Wasn't gonna jump to conculsions because it hasn't been resolved yet. They were purchased online & installed by a respected local shop. I'll know details soon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I'm picking up a GLOCK later this week, so I had some Warren/Sevigny two dot sights ordered and shipped to me. Anyway, this is my first experience with buying night sights and I noticed that the lamp date for the front sight was "10" whereas the rear was "13".

I understand that the tritium lamps are guaranteed for 12 years. So my question is, is it normal to receive a sight whose lamp life is already 33% spent? I was wondering if this is normal at all. Otherwise I'll talk to the dealer who sold it to me though I doubt it's his fault as he most likely didnt package the product.
    Its not 33% spent. Tritium has a half like of around 12.3 years. That means after 12.3 years there is half as much of the isotope. So its closer to 12% "spent". Personaly, I wouldn't worry about.....I would wager that you will either sell/trade the gun or replace the sights with someone else before the vials go dull.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I've never jumped on the tritium wagon due to wanting to avoid issues that many people report to have. I can't stomach the price knowing the possible issues. My brother dropped almost $200 on 'new' tritiums & front sight was dead (super dim) a week later.
    It's not a bandwagon, its the only viable option for low/no light shooting. What issues are you talking about? Most guns come with garbage stock sights (glock) that need to be replaced anyway.... is it really that hard to stomach an extra $40 for tritium vs plain sights? That is just silly.

The only way they were almost dead was a ruptured vial.... either incorrect installation (idiots banging on them with brass punches) or dropping/abusing the weapon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12