Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KeyMod Drama

Feedback Score

KeyMod Drama

As the KeyMod system continues to grow, so does the internet supposition, conjecture, and just flat out wrong information. I know how frustrating this can be to everyone; especially those that are part of a new product. They have to sit by and watch... releasing only overly judicious small details, so as to not be accused of polluting fact with personal interest.

I am in a unique position, wherein I was very close to the inception of the KeyMod system - and in a strange twist of fate, am also quite close to the production of one of the upcoming KeyMod rails... So, as a matter of record, I would like to share how the KeyMod system got to where it is.

I imagine that anyone in the industry is always looking for a better way to do things... but I have to believe that the impetus for the KeyMod was mostly forged by the PCAPs System. Some years back, while Eric Kincel and I were both at Vltor Weapons, we were working on something related to the XM-8 project and we were introduced to PCAPs.

PCAPs is a story in itself, but the very short version is that during development of the XM-8, PEO Soldier wanted something other than Picatinny Rails... so HK introduced a system based on the their existing O5 optics mounts used on their commercial hunting rifles - and Picatinny Combat Attachment Points was born. PCAPs did offer some interesting abilities, but in the finest Teutonic tradition, it was very precise and complex piece of machinery... I distinctly remember Eric saying "there has to be a better way to do this."

Enter the locking key slot... there is no question that the attachment system used in warehouse shelving is a "key" part of the KeyMod system - but for those who think they have "discovered" the similarity, please go back to the original release of the KeyMod TDP and you will see that warehouse shelving was credited... along with other people and companies that were already working on a similar idea.

When we first started looking into using the keyslot, we found out that a few other people had started down the same path... but nothing had really broke out. The "Ah Ha!" moment came about when Eric had an idea for a fast attach system that accounted for both recoil and counter recoil and the KeyMod system was on its way.

Eric has always had a knack for seeing solutions that seem to evade others, but it is what he did after contributing to the "locking key slot" problem that makes KeyMod really unique. Realizing that KeyMod was a collaboration of work and ideas, Eric worked out a few remaining problems and packaged everything together in the KeyMod TDP - then he released the TDP as "open source" technology for the industry to use at will.

So that's pretty much it... KeyMod is the result of a lot more than most people realize. Is it the do-all-to-end-all? Is there something better just around the corner? Is it just a fad that will pass before the snow melts? Only time will tell... but it is for sure another option, a practical solution to a demand that started over a decade ago - and a technology that I know will be considered on future weapon systems.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    It may not be the "be all/end all" but it definitely seems like a great step forward. The Picatinny rail, too, was a great step forward, but seems overly busy, and I think its day has passed. I think the KeyMod has a great future. (I've been wrong, once or twice, in the past, though.)

Feedback Score
    KLD, what is your opinion about the overall strength of the KM system vs the Pica system?

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Thank you for the post. It is always good to see where the inception of a product was. The Keymod debate seems to be falling into two categories. One side claiming it isn't needed and is a fad, and the other thinking it is the second coming. Me personally I am just glad to see a new development that the industry as a whole is adopting. The problem with rails like the Troy TRX/Alpha series and the DD MFR is that you are stuck with only their accessories. Keymod offers the same flexibility we have seen with traditional rails at a reduced weight, without everything being proprietary.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    As a Noveske NSR user, I'd like an alternative to T15 screws for fastening. They seem to strip easily.

Feedback Score
    K.L. Davis, could you please elaborate on the PCAPs more, data on the net is a little limited and I find it fascinating.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for posting. I really think KM is the future & am grateful for this to not be proprietary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorLonghorn View Post
    As a Noveske NSR user, I'd like an alternative to T15 screws for fastening. They seem to strip easily.
    I have never stripped one yet however I use a torque limiting screwdriver.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorLonghorn View Post
    You are simply making it too tight. The work falls on the lug to rail interface. There isn't any reason to tighten them more than a good snugging with a plain old "L" shaped key.

Feedback Score
    Try to catch all the questions here...

I would be out of school to talk about the specs of PCAPs, it has been a long time - the gentleman who was behind PCAPs posts on HKPro, I do not have an account there, but I believe he goes by "G3Kurz" there. ETA: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-g...tml#post972107

How strong is KeyMod? That depends on how a company incorporates it I guess... I can say that BCM did some computer model analysis of staggering and spacing of the holes specifically for structural strength - anecdotally, I have seen a guy at about a buck-seventy put a BCM KeyMod rail over an overhead pipe, grab each end and crank out some pull-ups with no distortion, bending or any damage at all to the handguard section... while this is not a mil-standard test, I was impressed.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast