Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of the hand cannons. Which to get?

Feedback Score
    This is on my phone so dont mind the typos and punctuation.

I have not owned or fired a 460, but do own a 500 sw with 8 3/8 inch barrel as well as several 44 magnums. For a range toy the 500 and I'm sure the 460 as well, are both fun.

I lean towards the 500 sw. My preference with handguns for hunting is big heavy projectiles. I personally think it is going be a more reliable way to make sure the bullet does what I want it to. Myself and plenty of big bore handgun hunters like big hard cast bullets that penetrate. Not to say a 460 isn't fun and from what I hear fast, effective and flat shooting for a handgun [for however flat shooting a handgun can be].

Fwiw I will probably add a 460 to the safe at some point. I like wheel guns even if just for range toys.

But....

If you are serious about carrying the gun I would get a 44 magnum or 454 cassull gun on one of the smaller than X framed revolvers.

I hunt pigs and deer as well as frequently carry a handgun while hiking and scouting. I can tell you that the 500 sw doesn't go with me, It's enormous.

Now it's worth mentioning that I don't have optics on the guns I carry the most. If you throw big optics on the gun and need a big messenger bag looking holster anyway, then I guess the 500 size wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chumly; 02-05-14 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintovka View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a big bore revolver. That means either the .460 S&W or the 500 S&W. At this point, I'm leaning toward the .460 due to the ability to shoot .454 Casull and .45 Long Colt and the fact that .460 itself seems a little bit cheaper to buy than the .500 ammunition. The purpose of this would basically be for fun. For something different to shoot at the range. It would also be used for protection on hikes and camping trips. But mostly for the "it's loud, powerful, and it's mine" factor. I want to get either the 5" .460 or the 6.5" .500. I don't want a long barrel.

Can any owners of them here speak up and explain your reasoning for getting whichever one you bought? For me, the .460 is getting the edge for being versatile while maintaining huge muzzle energy and velocity but the .500 still speaks to me for raw sledgehammer factor. Help me make up my mind.

ETA: recoil isn't an issue. I've spent a few afternoons shooting a titanium air weight .44 magnum
    Actually, recoil IS an issue. You may not think so now, but you could be looking at serious long-term damage if you spend too much time with handguns that kick too hard. See the case of gunwriter John Taffin for details. Human arms and wrists can only take so much punishment before they fail and you need help zipping up your pants and tying your shoes...

Many years ago, I had David Clements build me a 5-shot Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt. A few years later I had him build me one in 454 Casull. The 45 Colt would push a 350-grain bullet an honest 1,350 fps, and would push a 325-grain bullet about 100 fps faster. From those two guns, I learned that you get the most from a big-bore revolver when you push a very heavy bullet at normal velocity. Pushing a standard-weight bullet at rifle velocities doesn't get you the deep penetration and tissue disruption that make the juice worth the squeeze.

Of the two cartridges you mentioned, I'd go for the 460 because it can shoot lighter loads. I would avoid the S&W X-frame, and have something built on the Ruger Bisley purely for recoil abatement. Recoil in my Clements guns was brutal, and it would have been much worse in a gun that did not have the Bisley grip frame.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    I own and shoot several 'Hand cannons' and have hunted with handguns for 30+ years. The advice of the FA. 454 is probably the best option if, as you say, you want to tote this on walks in the woods. I have several Ruger SBH's in various configurations and they are probably the second best all-around wheelguns I own. I personally don't feel much difference in recoil between the heavily loaded .44 mag over the .454 but then I shot them frequently. As other state, that X-frame is one heavy MoFo!!! I think I would rather carry a light weight rifle before haulng around that unweidly chunk of metal!!
    One of my trully, attention getting, handguns in a 10" barreled T/C Contender chambered in 444 Marlin. I made the mistake once of firing it at a range with a roof......the entire firing line ceased firing when I touched the first round off!!!! I have killed deer with it and surprisingly it is very accurate as long as I do my part. It will get your attention in both muzzle blast and recoil.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a big bore revolver. That means either the .460 S&W or the 500 S&W. At this point, I'm leaning toward the .460 due to the ability to shoot .454 Casull and .45 Long Colt and the fact that .460 itself seems a little bit cheaper to buy than the .500 ammunition. The purpose of this would basically be for fun. For something different to shoot at the range. It would also be used for protection on hikes and camping trips. But mostly for the "it's loud, powerful, and it's mine" factor. I want to get either the 5" .460 or the 6.5" .500. I don't want a long barrel.

Can any owners of them here speak up and explain your reasoning for getting whichever one you bought? For me, the .460 is getting the edge for being versatile while maintaining huge muzzle energy and velocity but the .500 still speaks to me for raw sledgehammer factor. Help me make up my mind.

ETA: recoil isn't an issue. I've spent a few afternoons shooting a titanium air weight .44 magnum

I have shot a 500, but not the .460. But the bold parts seem to give the edge to the fact alone. If the gun does not have a specific need to fill per se, other than fun range blaster, I'm assuming what ever differences in terminal ballistics there are between the 500 and .460, is a non issue to you. The .460 gives far more practical and $$ options it seems with 3 different rnds you can shoot. I'd opt .460.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the insight and help everyone. I ordered the 5" barrel 460V at my local shop today. I'll have it in 5-7 days. $1,200 out the door. They ordered a bunch of different .460 offerings for the shop too. They had ample .45 Long Colt and a decent amount of .454 on the shelf too, which is nice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Based on your actual use of the gun I'd get the 500 simply because its a 50 cal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Based on your actual use of the gun I'd get the 500 simply because its a 50 cal.
    That's what I was thinking, but since I don't reload and have no interest starting, I felt that the .460 would be more economical for me since I love high volume blasting. The .460 ammunition is about 50% cheaper than the .500 rounds and is nearly as powerful in terms of muzzle energy.

Feedback Score
    If you don't reload and you are not independently wealthy a big bore magnum revolver is going to be a total waste of time and money since you won't be able to shoot it enough to become proficient. Good luck nonetheless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    If you don't reload and you are not independently wealthy a big bore magnum revolver is going to be a total waste of time and money since you won't be able to shoot it enough to become proficient. Good luck nonetheless.
    I went with the .460 instead of the .500 for the exact reason you mentioned. I can get Hornady 200 grain for $34.99/20 rounds all day, 454 Casull for $25-$28/20 rounds and my local Walmart has .45 Long Colt for $26/50 rounds.

.500 S&W starts at about $60 per 20 rounds and you can't buy any cheaper alternatives.
    Last edited by Vintovka; 02-06-14 at 18:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for all the insight and help everyone. I ordered the 5" barrel 460V at my local shop today. I'll have it in 5-7 days. $1,200 out the door. They ordered a bunch of different .460 offerings for the shop too. They had ample .45 Long Colt and a decent amount of .454 on the shelf too, which is nice.
    You'll be happy with your choice. They are no different than shooting any other revolver. Enjoy!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast