Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Times: Flaws in The M4?

Feedback Score
    The M4/M4A1 weapons get no shortage of press.

Our newest, bestest 7.62 rifle (the SCAR), however, seems to be the opposite. You never read or hear anything about that particular rifle, good or bad.

Feedback Score
    Mauser KAR98K,

Great rebuttal but too long, and needed bullet points. Lack of lube, quality mags, followers, and not having a Mx schedule to replace spare parts: buffer springs, gas rings, extractors, and bolts when necessary, has always been the weak link. Above all, institutional BS at all levels about this weapon, has been the bigger problem to address, but will not die. It's like a phantom ghost or dark cloud plaguing the effing gun, as far as big army is concerned.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Junk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I stewed over the inaccuracies in the article as well. What really perturbed me was the allowance of competitors to put their two cents in as if it were unbiased. Every issue raised has been refuted by users and experts for years.

Much of the issue is a "software" problem and NOT a "hardware" problem, would you all agree? If guys are firing 830 rounds on full auto (28 mags?) with a dry bolt what we have is a training problem. The M4 is not a squad operated machine gun. That is not its role or purpose. When a mechanical device that has known to function well for over 40 years has a hiccup by some users, how is it that the mechanical object that is intelligently designed and tested at fault?

I have put multiples of thousands of rounds through the Colt 6933 while at work and in training. I can honestly say I cannot recall a single malfunction with that carbine.
    I quickly tried to address the issue yesterday.

http://dennyducet.blogspot.com/2014/...4-carbine.html
    Last edited by TacMedic556; 02-23-14 at 23:47.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    The M4/M4A1 weapons get no shortage of press.

Our newest, bestest 7.62 rifle (the SCAR), however, seems to be the opposite. You never read or hear anything about that particular rifle, good or bad.
    They break stocks and optics. Mags were in short supply for a while, and are very heavy even before the heavy ammunition is added. Some SOF loves them, some don't.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    They break stocks and optics. Mags were in short supply for a while, and are very heavy even before the heavy ammunition is added. Some SOF loves them, some don't.
    In a unit, what percentage of stocks break? Is there a cost effective fix for the problem without purchasing a whole new weapon system?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    A Friend of mine was a green beret in Afghanistan. He passionately talked about the SCAR Heavy destroying optics. It had something to do with harmonics. I looked it up and sure enough its a valid concern.
    Last edited by TacMedic556; 02-22-14 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    In a unit, what percentage of stocks break? Is there a cost effective fix for the problem without purchasing a whole new weapon system?
    I don't know. I do know that they couldn't get parts so they just set them aside and issued new ones with the intention of getting parts when they were available after orders for complete weapons were filled.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    A Friend of mine was a green beret in Afghanistan. He passionately talked about the SCAR Heavy destroying optics. It had something to do with harmonics. I looked it up and sure enough its a valid concern.
    There is documentation from Crane floating around about this.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    Atricle has a lot of bad information, and inaccurate comments from some of the sources.

This was my letter to the Washington Times in regards to the article:

Feel free to hammer me on my response, but I'm sure it is more accurate than the main article itself.
    A good well thought out piece, but no one who works at the Washington Times has time to read all that, and I bet it'll fall on deaf ears. You need to keep your shit short and to the point.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast