Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JP Rifles GMR-13 9mm AR feedback

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah I am having a hard time understanding how a completion rifle is somehow less reliable or not battle ready compared to say a colt. Besides having to be accurate, don't competitors run the crap out of these rifles? If they were unreliable why would they be a good choice for competition? What am I missing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's an old thread floating around here somewhere where Grant mentions Colt made internal changes such a ramping the BCG which sounds like a fairly recent addition(with regards to the overall Colt 9mm SMG platform history). Here it is, from 2011 https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...450-s-are-here!

There is another thread about disconnector and disconnector spring breakage issues that are premature compared to 5.56mm. The breaking of hammer pins is also a reoccurring thread on multiple forums on the 9mm AR platform and Colt changed to a stainless pin replacement at some point with the ramped bolt. Here are some more mixed experiences:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...lt-9mm-Carbine

I'm not sure how "battle ready" the Colt SMG is simply "because it's a Colt". The 9mm SMG has a long history, but mostly in niche LE roles with limited military distribution (DEA, DOE, etc) It's not like their M4 with (tens?)millions of rifles and hundreds of billions of rounds expended in battlefield conditions. It is certainly more proven than any other AR-based 9mm platform but that isn't an argument to dismiss the others, or we wouldn't hold BCM, DD, Noveske, and other makers in high regard simply because they don't have millions of battle-proven rifles with half a century of battlefield data behind it.
    I
    Does anyone actually have experience with the JP? My anecdotal contribution is in the late 90's, I shot the Colt 6950 (sportster? Fixed carry handle, 16") and ran a full case of 1000 FMJs through it in one session without any cleaning. No failures at all.
    Last edited by Cesiumsponge; 06-05-14 at 10:28. Reason: Fookin' phone autocorrect
    “The practical success of an idea, irrespective of its inherent merit, is dependent on the attitude of the contemporaries." Nikola Tesla

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bababoris View Post
    Yeah I am having a hard time understanding how a completion rifle is somehow less reliable or not battle ready compared to say a colt. Besides having to be accurate, don't competitors run the crap out of these rifles? If they were unreliable why would they be a good choice for competition? What am I missing?
    Reliable may not be the correct choice as much as forgiveness with adverse conditions and different ammo. Most competition guns are tuned to run reliably with a particular load in clean(er) situations, and are not as forgiving when those variables change. I used to run multi gun and a thousand round carbine course is much more adverse than a 3 gun match. With my set up once I had everything set up for my loads it was very fast cycling and soft shooting, If I changed my loads my gun would not always run.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalkismet View Post
    Might you be able to provide some examples of them going down easier? I'm interested as its contradictory to my experience.... Obviously I wouldn't use their lmos for a combat type rifle but they have regular mass components for those type of rifles or for those who don't want lmos.
    A local LE department picked up a couple JP LE rifles to test and when they did some intensive training they failed. Of course there is the chance they happened to get a bad batch, but they were not as reliable as their current issued Colts. Even with JP law enforcement rifles, they aren't built up to the same specs as a fighting rifle. They are not a true 556 chamber, gas ports are not correct, etc. Sure they are accurate and they come with a nicer trigger than a comparable colt, bcm, dd, (brand of the month here) but the core components are not up to par for a fighting rifle.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 06-05-14 at 10:44.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bababoris View Post
    I appreciate the feedback but with all due respect I wasn't asking if the JP GMR was combat quality. I have other stuff for that is combat quality including a Colt AR. The 9mm will be primarily used at the range for shooting steel and for perhaps some basic individual drills / training.

My point was the Colt 9mm system is the most trouble free and has all the bugs worked out.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ok Scott. Appreciate the feedback. I moved the colt to the top of my list. I also have to confirm I can buy and own it here in commiefornia

Feedback Score
    One point I can think of only applies to the hand guards.

Your typical M4 drop in rails hand guards take a beating, but are not FF, are short, etc.

I love my JP FF tubes. But in all honesty they have to be tightened up, etc. I do not think they would last long outside the wire night after night.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP, have you cosidered buying the lower and upper seperately?

I am considering buying the complete 9 mm CMMG lower, and building it first as a pistol. This will allow me to add a rifle upper and stock when I want, and go back and forth between pistol and rifle. If I buy a rifle first, I won't have that option to go back and forth between configurations.

This absolutely makes no sense, but that is the ruling. There is no way to look at a pistol and determine if the lower was built first with a rifle upper. I have my receipt showing the AR 15 stripped lowers I purchased, one of which I am building into a 5.56 pistol. They were recorded as "other" on the 4473, so I can prove that they were virgin lowers if necessary. . I hope Grant will have the 6951 upper as an option now that Colt is releasing uppers only.

With the BATFE approval of the SB15 brace, I am looking at pistol builds a lot more now, even though I have an SBR lower. The CMMG is a dedicated lower with no aftermarket blocks, or modifications, and it is pretty cheap. I'm not sure if you can have one in california though. You have great weather and no humidity which is great for classic cars, but your gun laws sure suck.
    Last edited by DWood; 06-13-14 at 16:00.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am torn to be honest. CMMG isn't on the ban list so buying a lower or complete rifle is doable. Colt is on the banned list. I am leaning towards buying a barrel and bold and assembling my own 9mm upper and using it with one of my lowers with a spikes mag block. I plan on finishing several 80% projects so will have several lowers to use for this. Btw California is bat sht crazy in so many ways it's scary

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It would be hard to build a lower with an adapter for less than this:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...iver+wM4+Stock

Of course if you already have a lower and just want to drop in a mag well block, that is a cheaper, non-permanent option. I like the idea of the CMMG because there are no adjustments needed and I prefer purpose built rather than adapted. But, that's just me.

Too bad about the Colt being on the banned list. Question, does your crazy State follow Federal law and allow you to build a lower first as a pistol, and then go between rifle and pistol configurations when you want to? If so, it sure would be nice to have a 16" 9mm upper along with a short upper of your choice and change as you want.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here is the summary of California law as it relates to pistols. I am going the 80% route
    http://www.vcdefense.com/ar-pistols-...-a-legal-note/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast