Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Project: Li'l Wolf Pup

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thompson Center took the BATF to court over the same issue. BATF claimed T/C receivers had to be registered as SBRs because it was simple to add a stock. As a result, the BATF has determined that-
    -A receiver that is originally assembled and sold as a complete rifle is forever a rifle
    -A receiver that is not sold as a complete firearm, is an "OTHER" and may be configured as a pistol or a rifle whether it's fitted with a rifle stock or not. As a receiver may be configured as a pistol, the purchaser must be 21 and can only take possession of it in their state of residence
    -A receiver that is first configured as a rifle is forever a rifle; that is the lower receiver, complete with rifle stock, is mated to a complete upper
    -A receiver that is first configured as a pistol, is a pistol
    -A pistol may be re-configured as a rifle. A pistol that has been re-configured as a rifle may be returned to a pistol configuration

Note that the BATF has determined that a receiver, even fitted with a rifle stock, cannot be not sold as a rifle as it may still be legally configured as a pistol.

Other pistols are configured as to readily accept rifle stocks, such as the Browning Hi Power & Broomhandle Mauser, yet they are not required to be registered as SBRs until the stock is actually installed
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-30-14 at 14:31.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    However, possessing a rifle buttstock that could readily be installed on your pistol could constitute possession of a short-barrel rifle.
    This is the statement that gave me concern. Does the installation of the Sig Brace make it not readily installable? Or are you not allowed to possess a 'loose' rifle buttstock?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    This is the statement that gave me concern. Does the installation of the Sig Brace make it not readily installable? Or are you not allowed to possess a 'loose' rifle buttstock?
    To install a SB15 on a rifle RE, it has to be wrapped (I used gaffer's tape) to enlarge it's OD so the arm brace will fit. To install a rifle stock, the SB15 and the tape would have to be removed. That means the stock cannot be readily installed. Do your research with due diligence, use common sense and don't go inventing trouble for yourself. Let's get this thread back on track- discussing jut what a great shorty AR the Li'l Wolf Pup is and how it will further evolve to become the epitome of awesome

I am American

Feedback Score
    Sorry about the tangent, Mist.

I had a 10.5" pistol and am running an H3 buffer in it very reliably (now a SBR). I just picked up a Wolff extra power buffer spring to slow it down some more (I run it suppressed often). I recommend you try the H3 in yours, too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No worries, mate.

The H3 buffer is too short to work in a rifle RE and the weight of rifle buffer is close to that of the H3. I figured since I wanted a longer RE to better support the SB15 and use a heavier buffer to soften recoil, I'd go rifle and get both. Felt recoil isn't bad with the current setup, which includes a Tubbs 308 action spring but I wanna try an adjustable gas block and an LMT enhanced carrier to see if they'll help move the Li'l Pup closer to awesome. The adjustable gas block will also come in handy when I get a suppressor.

Let us know how that Wolff spring works out

I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The H3 buffer is too short to work in a rifle RE

Let us know how that Wolff spring works out
    Haha, got me Yeah, that rifle RE should make things pretty nice. Is it safe to assume the Tubbs 308 spring is heavier than stock?

I'll let ya know on the Wolff spring!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    ...Is it safe to assume the Tubbs 308 spring is heavier than stock?...
    That, I don't know. It was in the spare part bin of a friend of mine. He let me take it to try it out

I am American

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Having seen the gas port in question, you'd really benefit from an adjustable gas block. I just put one on an SBR build and pulled the A5 off and now it's running with just a regular H buffer. Made a big difference, but only about 100 rounds thru it so far.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Mistwolf,

For you, using the arm brace, is the juice worth the squeeze? Is the brace really that useable? Or is it a compromise? Is a 10.5" barrel that more useable vs a 16"?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, the juice is worth the squeeze. It's firm enough to be used against the shoulder without squirming or collapsing, especially when the RE runs the full length of the brace. The Wolf Pup isn't any less controllable than it would be if equipped with a rifle stock. There are compromises. It lacks easy adjustment of LOP and it's wider, heavier and more expensive than most adjustable stocks. To answer your question directly- yes, it really is that usable.

The 10.5 inch barrel trades velocity for handiness to good effect, while retaining the terminal performance of a rifle within practical self defense ranges. The 10.5 barrel will also keep over all length shorter when using a suppressor

I am American

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast