Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R700 accuracy issues

Feedback Score
    I was getting the same groups with my 223 tactical but after firing around 500 rounds through it, my groups have begun to tighten. I take it the break in period is longer than expected. Now it prints clover leafs with Hornady Vmax 55 grainers.
    My next question is what did you do with your stock?! I love it. Did you shave off that beaver tail off the for-end? Looks sweet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warg View Post
    What kind of experience do you have behind the trigger? Not an attack, just gathering info. Do you have, or have you had, a rifle that consistently shoots 5+ round groups at < .75 MOA?
    This is a very good question and no offense taken. I do have a Savage .223 that consistently puts .6-.8" groups together. But if I'm a significant portion of the shot spread I wouldn't be all that surprised. I do feel that the Karsten cheek rest makes the buttstock 'fat' and has increased the difficulty to get consistent and comfortable cheek welds. Without it my weld is too low to see through the scope and is much worse. These are the lowest rings I could find and they are "xtra low". I did shave down the buttstock to make it thinner with the rest installed to help get my head more centerline with the rifle. Suggestions? Thin out the rest some?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spookm14 View Post
    I was getting the same groups with my 223 tactical but after firing around 500 rounds through it, my groups have begun to tighten. I take it the break in period is longer than expected. Now it prints clover leafs with Hornady Vmax 55 grainers.
    My next question is what did you do with your stock?! I love it. Did you shave off that beaver tail off the for-end? Looks sweet
    I am closing in on 500 rounds so hopefully that will help the more I shoot it. But I have a feeling a portion of that is collecting data of what works and simple trigger time.

I did alter the stock quite a bit. I shaved down the sides of the forend significantly to remove the 'bulges', thinned the palm swell as I thought it was huge, and thinned out the buttstock area for the cheekrest installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    You did probably the best thing you could possibly do and that was to throw away the POS Xpro trigger. They are junk. I had to do a lot of work to mine and in hindsight I wish I just switched to a better trigger like a timney or jewell. I adapted and over came, this also helped me as a better shooter to see what could possibly cause my shots to be so inconstancy and I worked on my technique and that has helped my groups as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spookm14 View Post
    You did probably the best thing you could possibly do and that was to throw away the POS Xpro trigger. They are junk.
    This.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123