Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Zero

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Laser Zero

Since we are all spun up over the ATPIAL-C...

I searched for a thread on zero distances and preferences with lasers but found nothing.

Do people prefer a DIFFERENT zero distance with their lasers from their primary RDS/BUS; i.e. RDS at 25y, laser at 7/10y? What are the SOP for most people?

Thanks!

Sparky
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    300 meters, point of aim/point of impact.
    100 meter zero makes it hard to put the laser on target past 200 due to drop, and the realistic limit of NODs/lasers is under 300 meters.
    Having the laser offset and lower than the familiar sight-line of normal optics and irons forces re-training anyway, so the difference in zero distance is minimal.
    Having the crossover at 300 minimizes the offset issue out to 600, but if you're good, you can offset the laser from the group at 300 by the lateral distance from the bore to the laser emitter. This keeps the trajectory parallel to the laser, eliminating the offset crossover issue, but it really doesn't matter since everything will more than likely be kept under 200 meters anyway.
    Having a 300 meter zero makes it easier to have something to hold on, since the ground is almost always available for those 175-275 shots on small targets close to the ground.

During zeroing, use a black matte target, larger than the diameter of the laser at the distance, regardless of what distance you choose. It will make zeroing much easier as it will reduce on-target bloom and allow greater precision and consistency in point of aim.

The easy way is to take a zeroed optic out to 300 (or whatever you decide), and with a buddy, hold the dot of the optic on the point of aim needed for center impacts and adjust the laser to fall onto the point of impact. From there, refine the zero with live-fire using the laser.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks Jack!

This is going on a SBR/CQB rifle. That rifle, though capable, rarely to never gets used beyond 100. Would you still zero it to the same POI as your RDS/BUS?

Thanks!
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    tag in order to follow

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If I was unconcerned with use past 200 I'd go with a 50 or 100 meter zero, with the laser running parallel to trajectory.
    Due to the low sight line (I used 1.75 in this, but will be between 1.5 and 2.0 generally), ***assuming that the laser module is placed on the top rail***, zeroing at 50 or 100 will give very similar trajectory, but with an edge to the 100 for refinement.
    Now, another approach is to mount the laser on a side (bottom is dumb) rail, however, depending on what module you have, the laser may emit from below the bore plane.
    This offers some interesting effect, and can be advantageous in certain instances, however, I find that the difference in application, especially at close range, makes this non-preferential for me.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    200m POA/POI.

I mount my PEQ on the top rail, as far forward as possible, zero on paper at 10m with boresight target, confirm with live fire on modified 25m paper target due to the limitations we have on ranges.

Don't zero it co-witnessed with your irons at 25m or such. The laser travels in a straight line and at 100m+, the horizontal offset will be pretty bad. Using a 200m POA/POI, your offset all the way to 200m will be no more than the height of the laser over bore and within 2.5" to the right (at the muzzle) to less than or equal to an inch from 75m-200m. The 200m zero makes it pretty easy to make hits inside of windows/doors and hit the upper chest of a man out to 250m.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Also, if you're near Fort Bragg, I'll be home in November-ish and have access to a range that's basically 24/7/365. If you'd like a short class on the PEQ-15 and to have a night shoot, I'm more than willing to help out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I generally get a rough zero by pointing my zeroed optic over the designated strike point over the zero target, then align the laser over the center of mass of the target. I confirm with a grouping and make adjustments if needed. Gets me generally where I need to be on target.
    "Soldier, you need to turn your ACOG off before the batteries die." - PMI Instructor, subject matter expert

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If I was unconcerned with use past 200 I'd go with a 50 or 100 meter zero, with the laser running parallel to trajectory.
    Due to the low sight line (I used 1.75 in this, but will be between 1.5 and 2.0 generally), ***assuming that the laser module is placed on the top rail***, zeroing at 50 or 100 will give very similar trajectory, but with an edge to the 100 for refinement.
    Now, another approach is to mount the laser on a side (bottom is dumb) rail, however, depending on what module you have, the laser may emit from below the bore plane.
    This offers some interesting effect, and can be advantageous in certain instances, however, I find that the difference in application, especially at close range, makes this non-preferential for me.
    Thank, Jack! Makes sense. I may just have to mess around with it some and see. Do you know of any good articles (similar to your's on 100m zero) out there?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Also, if you're near Fort Bragg, I'll be home in November-ish and have access to a range that's basically 24/7/365. If you'd like a short class on the PEQ-15 and to have a night shoot, I'm more than willing to help out.
    Thanks man! I'm in the triad so not near FB in general terms. I may be down in Wagram occasionally over the next few months for some shooting events. If you want I'll let you know and maybe we can meet up. PM me your contact info if you're interested!

Thanks for the cowitness info! I knew they were straight line. That's what can make this process confounding!
    Last edited by Sparky5019; 09-10-14 at 09:20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast