Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable sights on a carry gun?

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)

Adjustable sights on a carry gun?

Thoughts? Considering ordering a Dawson Adjustable rear and matching front for my carry and training Glock 17's. This would be on my daily carry gun carried AIWB, not in a duty or exposed context. Anyone carry adjustables? Thoughts from anyone using the Dawson adjustable rear? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would never put target sights on a carry gun.

Feedback Score
    I would maybe do it but if I remember correctly the Dawsons require a very tall front sight which might not fit my holster

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911fan View Post
    Thoughts? Considering ordering a Dawson Adjustable rear and matching front for my carry and training Glock 17's. This would be on my daily carry gun carried AIWB, not in a duty or exposed context. Anyone carry adjustables? Thoughts from anyone using the Dawson adjustable rear? Thanks.
    For many years I was of the belief that this was a no go. Then I bought a set of Dawson's for my Glock. I carefully looked them over and realized that (if properly fit), they were not going anywhere. Then I found out that a lot of HSLD types are running them (along with many Tier 1 backgrounded instructors) with no issues.

Now here is the questions you must ask yourself:

1. Is your gun accurate enough to take advantage of them?
    A)No need to install these precision sights if your pistol cannot shoot sub 2" groups at 25yds.

2. Are you an accurate enough shooter to take advantage of these sights?
    A)No need to put these sights in if you are not capable of delivering sub 2" groups while standing.

3. Do you routinely shoot beyond 25yds with your pistol (50yds, 100yds, etc)?
    A)If you stop at 25yds, you probably don't need them on your gun.

Realize that most ALL Civy gun fights are at distances that most people would point shoot at (somewhere around 10ft). The argument can be made that you don't even NEED sights on your pistol. With that said, I shoot out to 100yds all the time, can shoot 1" groups at 25yds and have a half inch capable gun at 25yds. I am a plan for the worst and hope for the best kind of guy. So if you like knowing that you have the capability to make accurate shots at distance, I would say go for it!

YMMV.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-28-14 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Much wisdom in Grant’s reply.

I’ve been running Meprolight adjustable night sights on my EDC, a Gen3 G17, for the last 2½ years with no problems. I also have Dawsons on a couple of other guns that I would carry without hesitation.

Back when cops carried revolvers, LAPD and many other agencies issued them with adjustable sights. When the cops in other agencies had latitude, many of them upgraded from fixed-sight pieces to ones with adjustable sights as soon as they could, so there's a long and storied history of using adjustable sights on duty guns. They're far from being as dainty as some would have us believe.

In regard to Grant’s first and second requirements, I’d add that your pistol AND AMMO must be accurate for you to benefit. The real test is with your carry ammo--most pistols today are very accurate and most duty ammo is very good as well, but most FMJ practice ammo is pretty bad. I also think that 3” groups are probably the tipping point—if you consistently get 3” groups at 25 yards, then you’re well on your way to consistently getting 2” (or smaller) groups. Once you reach this level of accuracy, adjustable sights make it easy to put the group exactly where you want it, especially when range increases beyond 25 yards.

Another benefit is the speed and ease of getting a zero. You can zero fixed sights with the hammer-and-punch method or with a press. But the more precise you want the zero to be, the harder it is and the more time and ammo it takes to dial it in properly. With adjustables, you need half a box of ammo, a screwdriver, and 20 minutes. (Verifying your zero will be the same in all cases.) This matters when ammo is in short supply or you’re forced to switch loads—contrary to popular opinion, POI between loads can vary in both windage and elevation, dramatically in some cases. POI can also change between lot numbers of the same load.

They're also a godsend when working with Gocks, which may not be regulated properly as they come from the factory.

One downside I have found to adjustables is that they may not be fully dehorned. You may need to get after them with a file or a stone to remove the burrs that make carrying them uncomfortable. My EDC rides in a Dale Fricke holster built for an RDS-equipped pistol, and the RDS hood keeps the sight out of my side. Ordering a holster with an extra-long sweat guard will usually do the same thing.

Here’s an interesting thread with input from someone whose opinion we can probably trust: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ustable-Sights

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 10-28-14 at 12:43.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    On one of my 1911s, I have Kensight rear adjustable sights that have smooth edges and don't require a tall front sight.

Feedback Score
    Probably the biggest advantage is that you can adjust vertically for different loads. Horizontal adjustments are no big deal with dovetail sights (albeit annoying) but vertical is restricted (you can only go one way- and it is permanent).

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)
    Thanks Grant, good info! While i'm not at the level where I can pull of 2" @25, I can keep a 10 round group in the black of a B8. I like the idea of getting a precise zero as my prefered 147gr carry loads tend to print high with the sights i've tried and like.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911fan View Post
    Thanks Grant, good info! While i'm not at the level where I can pull of 2" @25, I can keep a 10 round group in the black of a B8. I like the idea of getting a precise zero as my prefered 147gr carry loads tend to print high with the sights i've tried and like.
    This is probably a given but 2" at 25 yards might be better than the limits of the pistol itself while zero can still be a significant issue. I mean I have used fixed sights which were close to 2ft high at 50 yards (so let's say close to a foot high at 25 yards).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't see the purpose. The engagement distance is going to measured in single ft digits and happen very fast. There seems to be a fair number of robustly built adjustable sites, but at the ranges of engagement what's the value? Sites designed to get the front site on target as fast as the eye can get it there and the brain can process, seems the goal and speed with a slightly larger groups a possibility but the trade off seemingly worth it, assuming you have time to use the sites at all.

No one adjusts for elevation or windage in CCW scenario right?

Having said that, I have had Wilson adjustable sights on a few CCW 1911s that came on the guns, and no complains, they didn't lose zero, never broke, etc. and I had no urge to change them, but I wouldn't opt for them on a CCW gun nor change good fixed sights for them on a CCW gun.

Your mileage may vary but never understood the value of adjustable site on a CCW gun.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast