Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Overgassed Barrel Champion!!

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)

The New Overgassed Barrel Champion!!

With the DD MK18 10.3" upper I had at a .082 gas port causing nothing but headaches until I put Adj. Gas block on it. I figured that was the large side of the gas ports on the market. Until I received my 12 inch Carbine gas Larue Stealth Barrel yesterday. With a .092 gas port!!!! I have come to the conclusion that this SBR will not even be attempted to be shot without an Adj. Gas block. Let alone suppressed as I had intended. This is my first go at a Larue barrel as I wanted to see first hand what kind of groups I could get from this thing. Plan was to scope it, run a surefire Socom can, and go blast away. $200 for the barrel seamed to be a deal, as I have 450 in my Noveske, figured why not give it a go. I opened the box, pulled the barrel out, first thoughts were... Nice barrel.. Taper profile.. Looked at the gas post and first thoughts were... OH NO! If you look at enough barrels, you can just tell right off the bat something was wrong. Maybe this should have been a 12" mid length gas with a .092

Can anyone really think of a reason to have this large of a gas port? If it was even the .082 like my MK18, with 2 more inches of dwell time, it would still be grossly over-gassed. I can do all the remedies to tame it down, with A5 and E-carrier, etc. But at .092... COME ON MAN!!

Looks like I wont be shooting this thing this weekend, and a SLR gas block hit the short list.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow. I'd guess that 75 percent of LaRue's customers are imbeciles from AR15.com and he has to cater to the shit ammo, those dirt shooters are going to run in their guns. But .092 is excessive.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe they are trying to make it cycle with 223 subsonic. maybe that's the next fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Have you called them to see if that port size was intended?? Not a LaRue apologist, but they could have simply screwed up your barrel. It's worth a call.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ugh!

There seems to lots of variation in GP sizes from different Mfgs, and that's putting it nicely.

One possible explanation may be the use of light buffers and non-optimal gas system configurations.

If the action is on the verge of opening too early due to gas length and light buffer, adding more gas drive just tries to open the action earlier, while the chamber pressure is increasingly higher.

The higher gas drive is fighting an increasingly stickier cartridge, so there seems to be a range of bigger GP sizes that all appear to "work" the same.

That said, 12.5" carbines run very nicely unsuppressed with our .070" port.
    Last edited by Clint; 07-05-15 at 12:11.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Yes a phone call is in order. That's on the Monday list. I wonder if the port size is "Top secret" like some others.. Noveske for example. I agree the .070 would be a good size. But anything above that is large in my opinion on this barrel. Maybe I'll get some more Dillo dust out of the deal.

Already got another SLR on order today. Running suppressed I'll be wanting the Adj GB anyway. I was just taken back by the size. Hope it likes the 77gr rounds and groups as well as my Noveske.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Yes a phone call is in order. That's on the Monday list. I wonder if the port size is "Top secret" like some others.. Noveske for example. I agree the .070 would be a good size. But anything above that is large in my opinion on this barrel. Maybe I'll get some more Dillo dust out of the deal.

Already got another SLR on order today. Running suppressed I'll be wanting the Adj GB anyway. I was just taken back by the size. Hope it likes the 77gr rounds and groups as well as my Noveske.
    That is gargantuan! Noveske also makes heavily gassed barrels but not that bad! I think BCM is one of the few to use ports of more appropriate size with the balls to say, " use good ammo!"

Feedback Score
    I am in the same boat will a new stealth barrel that just arrived, what's the proper way to measure the port? I am actually having an issue with a Faxon 10.5" 300 BO barrel that seems to be under gassed at .075 per the specs but want to measure it.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brider View Post
    I am in the same boat will a new stealth barrel that just arrived, what's the proper way to measure the port? I am actually having an issue with a Faxon 10.5" 300 BO barrel that seems to be under gassed at .075 per the specs but want to measure it.
    You need a pin gauge set to measure a gas port.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    You need a pin gauge set to measure a gas port.
    Thanks Steve L. I just measured it with the "cheap" way with a drill bit and a 3/32 fit almost perfect and putting a mic on it I was at .092 as well. Not what I wanted to see.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast