Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for SBR (10.5") users: What muzzle device if not suppressed?

Feedback Score

Question for SBR (10.5") users: What muzzle device if not suppressed?

I have a 7.5" barrel, and with the A2 flash hider, the noise and the fireball were beyond belief.
    Went with a PWS CQB muzzle device, and it pretty much tamed both issues.
    The negatives: expensive ($150), heavy (~1 lb.), large, and funny looking.

So, now I've got a 10.5" upper.
    Haven't shot it yet with the A2, but I'm wondering if the noise and flame still be a lot worse than a 16" barrel?
    What are you short barrel guys using if you don't have a suppressor on, and why did you pick it?

Thanks for any knowledge you can share.
    Last edited by mini14jac; 08-26-15 at 13:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    10.5 without a suppressor can still rattle your teeth. It is pretty painful.

I had a noveske KX5 on my 10.5" pistol upper to direct the sound downrange. Best option I had considering I am not in a free state. You being in TN, I would say your best option is to invest in a suppressor.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I run a suppressed/unsuppressed about 50/50. I have the AAC 51T muzzle brake and could not be happier with it. Noticeable difference over the standard A2 device; and AAC brakeout comp for that matter.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    To me, that depends if you are shooting indoors or out. I find an A2 outdoors on my 10.5 and 11.5s to be acceptable. Indoors, anything short of a suppressor is not a ton of fun. A2's indoors will rattle some teeth. Shooting unsuppressed indoors, my SureFire brake is lights out. People leave the range if I shoot it. SBR=Suppressed if indoors.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm gonna check this one out
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Wolfpup needs a Covert Comp to tame that blast.

The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I had no issues with an A2 flash hider on my 10.5". No flame (daytime shooting), not too 'blasty'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use a BattleComp 1.0 on both of my 11.5 SBRs

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have a Vortex flash hider on an 11.5" SBR...I've never noticed it being excessively louder than other flash suppressors I have tried, but it does reduce the fireball to almost nothing. I tried a BCM Mod 0 comp on the 11.5 and almost every shot created a muzzle blast that eclipsed the view plane of the Aimpoint T-1, which I didn't like, so I went back to the Vortex. I would agree with Firefighter37 that outdoors it doesn't seem to be much of an issue, but indoors, I chase people away when I shoot it.

NC

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I use a BattleComp 1.0 on both of my 11.5 SBRs
    I had a BattleComp 1.0 on my 10.5" at one point, before I owned suppressors and didn't find it overly objectionable outdoors, indoors was a different story. It did negate all muzzle rise on that 10.5", I shot it side by side vs a 10.5" A2 equipped gun and there was a noticeable difference.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question for SBR (10.5") users: What muzzle device if not suppressed?

I thought about going with a flaming pig or other flash can but decided not to because the weight and length. On another rifle I have a ferfrans brake with the CRD. Decided not to move this to my 10.5 because the brake alone is crazy loud and the CRD is heavy. It does work very well however if weight is not an issue for you.

On my SBR I have a VG6 Gamma, works well. Not too loud. Got a definite pop sound. I don't shoot often indoors. They have a concussion reducing device that goes over the Gamma. Unlike the ferfrans its low profile and light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AssGasOrBrass; 08-26-15 at 21:47.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast