Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light primer strikes when cycling rounds through chamber?

Feedback Score
    i've never heard of an ar slam firing. ever. can any one here point to a documented case of an ar slam firing due to the firing pin?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfish95747 View Post
    Gotcha. Loud and clear. I'll load up some dummy rounds.
    Don't load up some dummy rounds go buy some. An inert round that looks exactly like a live round is asking for trouble. The MagPul dummies are only a buck apiece and don't look like a real round.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Walk outside and point the muzzle to the ground if you must cycle rounds.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    Slam firing is rare and from very soft primers.

Another risk is that since the primer is dented, when trying to shoot a round that has been cycled a few times, there is not enough impact on the primer to fire the round. Iirc a department had issues of this, they had multiple misfires due to repeated chambering of the same rounds.

Edit: good article describing everything very well. http://preparedgunowners.com/2015/09...5-round-twice/
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-08-16 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfish95747 View Post
    Sounds good. My thoughts though are if there is a risk of a slam fire, shouldn't the light primer strikes not happen at all. I mean, if when a round is being loaded into the chamber while I am firing it, and it goes off without the trigger being pulled. Isn't that a problem?
    Op, I have a solution to your problem. Disassemble you bcg, and remove your firing pin. Use wire cutters and trim 1/4"-1/2" off the end of your firing pin. Re assemble as normal. No more light primer strikes, no worries about a slam fire or AD/ND. The gun wont even fire so you will also be making the liberals happy too. But all kidding aside, you are getting good information about not rechambering live rounds due to the chance of a misfire and the slim chance of a slam fire.
    As for range ammo I have no problems shooting ammo that's been chambered multiple times. I just inspect it for bullet setback. As for SD ammo I have a rule, if it's been chambered twice, then it gets tossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    This can be even more important in 308/762 rifles. The sheer weight of the FPs is impressive. Armalite chose to spring-load their FPs to combat the issue. There's mixed feelings on running Ti FPs, but I do on my SR25 platform guns because of this. A little insurance with no ill-effects.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Walk outside and point the muzzle to the ground if you must cycle rounds.
    Guys I appreciate the advice. Just so you all know, the gun was outdoors, pointed in a safe direction, nothing was in danger of being destroyed that shouldn't have been (pointed at a target). Gun safety rules were being followed by all that were present.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Op, I have a solution to your problem. Disassemble you bcg, and remove your firing pin. Use wire cutters and trim 1/4"-1/2" off the end of your firing pin. Re assemble as normal. No more light primer strikes, no worries about a slam fire or AD/ND. The gun wont even fire so you will also be making the liberals happy too. But all kidding aside, you are getting good information about not rechambering live rounds due to the chance of a misfire and the slim chance of a slam fire.
    As for range ammo I have no problems shooting ammo that's been chambered multiple times. I just inspect it for bullet setback. As for SD ammo I have a rule, if it's been chambered twice, then it gets tossed.
    Ha-ha, thanks I'll get the clippers out tonight! I haven't even shoot this particular gun yet so I'll remember the advice about the SD ammo when I do. Like I said, I appreciate the advice... And the humor. Ha-ha.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Don't load up some dummy rounds go buy some. An inert round that looks exactly like a live round is asking for trouble. The MagPul dummies are only a buck apiece and don't look like a real round.
    I make dummy rounds for cycling actions using real brass cartridges and real bullets with all processes normal except for leaving out primer and powder. When I'm done, I color the cartridges to look radically different from live ammo. Several different cold bluing chemicals do a reasonable job of coloring the cartridge in a way that won't wipe off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    My jaw dropped while reading the first part of that post. Glad to see you were joking as well as offering good advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast