Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You can build one cheaper???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You can build one cheaper???

I often get asked my opinion on what AR to buy, inevitably my reply is, "You really need to do your own research." then I send them here to do so. If the answer after that is, "Really, I don't want to spend eight hours doing the reading" I simply say, "Buy a Colt 6920 and you'll be fine."
    Inevitably someone will pipe in with "You can build one cheaper".
    You know, I'm beginning to hate those people. Yes, you can build one cheaper, but a lot of things factor in to being able to do that, like having the tools, available knowledge, perhaps a tutor and the ability to research the parts, a place to work, the list goes on and on.
    If someone cannot or will not do the basic research on "which rifle to buy?", how will they do the "which parts to buy?" I wont say you can't build a better rifle, but you can't without putting the work in and then there are the costs of the right tools.
    So in the end, how is "Go buy a Colt 6920" wrong if the issue is really, "I don't want to devote the hours of research on what a good rifle is."?

Feedback Score
    If they aren't willing to do the research on which to buy/avoid, I seriously doubt they will do what's required to research how to build an AR to begin with.

I usually use the analogy that a 6920 is "the glock of AR's". It does exactly what it's supposed to, without regard to anything else. It's not pretty, it's not expensive, it's not a precision gun. It's a go bang every time gun.

Most people get it, as everybody knows glock is a working tool standard. Even "non" gun types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Tell them if they don't want your opinion, don't ask.

Lately, it seems you can't build comparable quality for cheaer. If you want crap parts thrown together improperly, there are plenty of options to buy that for cheaper than you could build as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would have to agree.
    What is cheap? It comes down to time or money. If you want a good gun at a cheap price, there are few better choices than the 6920 or 6720.

Feedback Score
    Maybe it doesn't have to be a complete build. I started my build recently with a striped lower that I traded some stuff in my closet for at a pawn shop. Then ordered a lower parts kit from Sionics - $88.90. I didn't need special tools just my fat fingers and a pair of pliers, and a magnet to find the pins and springs that flew off a couple of times. Then when Sionics had their 4 of July sale I ordered the complete upper with magpul handgaurds, B5 bravo butt stock, and receiver ext. kit - 600.36. So for 689.00 and some change I have a complete rifle I can stake my life on. If You are going to be assembling AR's more often then yes you need to invest in proper tools.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I tell most guys that say that shit that they could probably build they're car cheaper too but the outcome wouldn't be near as good. But that's just me.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I may be in the minority - but I've never built a complete rifle for cheaper than I could buy a 6920 when they are discounted.

I enjoy the ritual of putting them together, and prefer a rifle or mid-length system with a tube, other wise I'd judt buy them - I feel it is cheaper to watch the sales and buy.

Feedback Score
    I only trusted myself to assemble the lower, but the upper I will leave to the professionals.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can build one better quality but cannot build it cheaper. Usually it's about 3x more in price for all the best quality parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    I get wanting to build one, I just don't get wanting to do it cheap? Might as well just buy one then. Building exactly what you want every step of the way is a very enjoyable and satisfying experience. I think in the past building vs buying was a bit of a double edged sword. For example, years ago I bought a 6920 and ended up changing all the furniture, the trigger, and the charging handle. At the time, I probably should have just built one. That was before the 6920 OEM was around though. Today, if you can find them, that would be the way I'd go. IMO, that's the best option.
    Last edited by Jewell; 08-13-16 at 15:44.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast