Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night sights on a rifle

Feedback Score

Night sights on a rifle

I can't figure out if I like the idea or not and I can't figure out if they would be usefull or just expensive. Google hasn't been any help so I thought I'd check here.

Do many people run night sights on their ar15 do they come in handy or no?

Sorry for any poor grammar/spelling.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have tritium Troy BUIS on one of my rifles. Have never used them. I'm buying polymer Magpul sights now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have given this thought in the past.

I would go with a tritium front sight only, as the rear would be too close to your eye and mess with your vision. It would still not take the place of a weapon mounted light, but would be useful for indexing without silhouetteing/giving yourself away.

I think you should also pay close attention to some problems associated with them as well. Depending on the specific one you get, the tritium dot may be lower than the sight post top. Some will also have limited adjustment as they are fixed facing a certain direction requiring a full 360° rotation either up or down which limits zeroing ability, or avariation of that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ive messed with them a little on a Valmet. I really like them. The front has a vertical bar, the rear is a horizontal bar. Both flip up to use, the rear peep flips over forward for night sight use and is adjustable for elevation. Clever system. I believe rifle sights aren't as bright as pistol sights but don't have much experience to compare. Id like to see how the concept works on an AR, and also on a lever gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Night sights on a rifle.... it's called a red dot and wml.

With the tritium dot, it glows and you can see the sights but not the target in the dark. When you hit the target with the light then the tritium washes out and it looks like a regular (but wide) front post.

The wml is a must have so you can see your target. The tritium sights are just a gimmick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I thought it was a waste of money. My son put some Troy BUIS on his rifle. I tried them at dusk and completely changed my mind. It really does make a difference.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    I thought it was a waste of money. My son put some Troy BUIS on his rifle. I tried them at dusk and completely changed my mind. It really does make a difference.
    Could you be a little more specific as to what difference you noticed?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfoecke View Post
    Could you be a little more specific as to what difference you noticed?

Dusk conditions - not completely dark. The low light from the tritium sights made for faster target acquisition. Total darkness they don't help.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I quit using them. I tried for awhile, but once there's smoke, movement, and muzzle flash, the white light and silhouette of the front is all I'm using. Tritium helps for the first shot in transitional or ambient lighting, but not much else in my experience, and the front width is more of a hinderance to me in daytime use and silhouette use than the tritium is useful.

Just my experience with them, anyway.

Feedback Score
    As a handgun instructor I see night sights as a just slightly better way to make sure you have your dots oriented in the correct manner. Shooting at things in the dark is a very bad idea and can get you in a great deal of trouble. If you are into shooting in the dark, buy the proper night vision equipment and even then make sure you understand and follow gun safety rule #4.
    My 2¢

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast