Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wear marks on buffer face

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Huh, I thought that wear was normal.

Ironically I am experiencing the same issue with my 10.5" and Vltor A5H3. Can someone go into more detail in explaining the carrier/preload aspect to look for?
    Some wear is normal. Other wear is not.

It just depends on what and where.

Tom already did a great job of explaining the retaining pin.

In short, the retainer pin should only be active when the upper is open or removed from the lower.

Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Make sure that the carrier takes the preload of the action off the detent with the upper and lower assembled. It's easy to mistake preload when pivoting on the front pin. Verify that the carrier fully locked takes the preload off the pin when sliding the upper and lower halves into assembly held together without the take down pins engaged. There should be no contact between the retention pin with the buffer when assembled.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I really never gave this a second thought, but I do have a buffer that looks beat up. I just chalked it up to high round count. Time to investigate!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You would be misled or mistaken to think that companies examine every single part for stuff like this. It may be unsightly, but it's ging to have very little impact on function.
    My only concern is if it may damage the buffer in some way leading to some issue down the road. But at least its an easy fix, ether file off the sharp edges or get a new BCG problem solved. If it was an out of spec lower that would be a headache.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    My only concern is if it may damage the buffer in some way leading to some issue down the road. But at least its an easy fix, ether file off the sharp edges or get a new BCG problem solved. If it was an out of spec lower that would be a headache.
    Replacing the buffer would be both easier and cheaper than replacing the BCG. Removing the burr/edge is also much easier and cheaper.

MM

Feedback Score
    A cheaper and easier solution would be to simply locate the offending areas on the carrier and deal with them before assembly. If you can "feel" a burr or whatever that would wear into the buffer contact area, deal with that issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Honestly this kinda sounds like a complaint that the inside of your tail pipe turns black every time you go for a drive.

The amount of material needed to form a burr on the aft end of a carrier that would eventually cause a buffer to fail would be almost impossible to miss. The face of the buffer is so stout it would take an event beyond catastrophic for it to fail completely and send the weights into the action.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Honestly this kinda sounds like a complaint that the inside of your tail pipe turns black every time you go for a drive.
    That's almost sig line material right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Replacing the buffer would be both easier and cheaper than replacing the BCG. Removing the burr/edge is also much easier and cheaper.

MM
    That's what I'll end up doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12