Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum-cased 9mm

Feedback Score

Aluminum-cased 9mm

I see this every now and then at the local Wal-Mart (usually Federal 100 round packs for $19.95). Never ran aluminum-cased ammo in my guns, but is there any reason why it doesn't seem to be more popular? You would think the softer metal would be easier on extractors, ejectors, etc.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I see this every now and then at the local Wal-Mart (usually Federal 100 round packs for $19.95). Never ran aluminum-cased ammo in my guns, but is there any reason why it doesn't seem to be more popular? You would think the softer metal would be easier on extractors, ejectors, etc.
    It works just fine, but the diff between brass & aluminum isn't going to matter on wear unless your pistol is made of pot metal. It's non-reloadable, so some think it's not as good. If you don't reload, it's just fine.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have shot a lot of Blazer aluminum 9mm. It works fine for practice ammo. I get occasional failures to extract with my Shield.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I am out of my normal range ammo, so I bought this exact ammo from Wal Mart yesterday. Ran perfectly through a Magpul, ETS, and factory Glock mags in my G19. I liked it.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I've never ad a problem with aluminum case ammo. I don't reload, so if it's cheaper, I buy it. If it's the same as brass, I buy brass just to give others some reloadable brass.

I also like that nylon jacketed aluminum case ammo, but haven't seen any for a while.

Feedback Score
    I don't reload 9 and use the fed Al stuff a bit. It's suprising accurate and cheap and reliable.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Federal aluminum case ammunition runs well in my Sig P938, S&W Shield 9mm, Glock 19 and Glock 17. It is accurate enough to get acceptable groups at 25 yards.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I didn't like it in .357 magnum or .44 magnum. Sticky extraction. I don't think I've tried the .38.

Shot a ton of it in 9mm. They seem a little weak. Some Glocks would throw every casing in my face but never do that with Russian steel case or brass cased ammo. I recall a dud or two. That might have been in .40. Also fired hundreds of 10mm and don't recall a problem.

IMO it's like Wolf quality but with a little less pressure behind it.

Feedback Score
    Here is a post I made in a thread about FTEjects I was having with a Glock some time ago. Pretty much the only issue I've had so I still buy and shoot Blazer Al when I find it for a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    I did more shooting with Magpul mags using Blazer Aluminum and had lots of failures to extract with this combination this time.

I was able to further diagnose and speculate on what is actually occurring. As the slide comes to the rear after being fired, the slide extracts the empty casing but the rim of the empty casing is impacting the leading edge of the top round's casing while in the magazine. The impact is significant enough on some shots that the extractor claw loses grip of the casing and leaves it partially extracted.

Speculation as to why: It appears that the rear rim edge of the Al casing is beveled much less than the brass or steel cases allowing it to catch the next round in the magazine much more easily. Here is a picture. The aluminum is the aluminum colored one and the brass...well, you can figure it out

Original thread https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ag-causing-FTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No problems here with the Federal stuff, 150 rounds. I bought it from Walmart because it was the cheapest they had and my reloading hasn't been set up yet. Ran 100% in my well used '91 CZ 75.
    I have heard that some pistols don't work well with aluminum cases but the Federal stuff is very slick, sometimes hard to reload mags because as one pushes down on the top round it would slip off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast