Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anecdotal evidence for anti gun/2A types

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    Does that stat include suicides? I read somewhere it did, and haven't researched it yet.
    FBI data does not count suicides. Only murder and non-negligent manslaughter.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Since we're discussing talking points and rebuttals
    I tried to start a thread that addresses this but it was locked

Essentially I brought up the point that the anti gun folks are trying to ban
    To save children
    While swimming pools actually are killing just as many children and harms many thousands more
    Thus if these people truly want to save children why don't they want to ban swimming pools?

There's also statistics that show that a child is about 5x more likely to die from a pool than from a gun

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    I like to rephrase their statement in racist (or identity politics) terms. It exposes their sentiment and makes them change course. Or the average person reconsiders. It makes them sound like a KKK supporter.

“A black guy shot up a school. We need to make sure blacks lose some rights. Just a few. They should be okay with that.”

You can play this with a lot of points the antis make.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    Does that stat include suicides? I read somewhere it did, and haven't researched it yet.
    "But guns make it easier to kill yourself" is the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Yet they all kill more people a year than AR15’s. Lightning averages 51 deaths a year, so it may be close.
    "But you have no control over lightning and ARs are designed specifically to kill people" is the reply

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    It's called a 'Bill of Rights,' not a 'Bill of Needs'
    Fixed for ya "and the Bill of Rights is outdated" will be the reply

Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Since we're discussing talking points and rebuttals
    I tried to start a thread that addresses this but it was locked

Essentially I brought up the point that the anti gun folks are trying to ban
    To save children
    While swimming pools actually are killing just as many children and harms many thousands more
    Thus if these people truly want to save children why don't they want to ban swimming pools?

There's also statistics that show that a child is about 5x more likely to die from a pool than from a gun
    "But swimming pools are not designed to kill people" will be the response.

Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I like to rephrase their statement in racist (or identity politics) terms. It exposes their sentiment and makes them change course. Or the average person reconsiders. It makes them sound like a KKK supporter.

“A black guy shot up a school. We need to make sure blacks lose some rights. Just a few. They should be okay with that.”

You can play this with a lot of points the antis make.
    Exactly, you have to do it in such a way they can't deflect or move the goal posts and used their own logic (or lack their of...) to counter. Per above, posters using "our" approach (logic, data, history) which does not have an impact on emotionally driven types. I like to point out that gun laws are inherently racist as they were created in the US to prevent free black slaves from having guns and did not apply to whites. That makes their head spin. Looking for that emotional trigger they can't refute,
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    It's called a 'Bill of Rights,' not a 'Bill of Technology.'
    This is perfect, and I will be sharing this if you don't mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I pulled this out of my pocket this week and I am not sure if I pissed off the antis at work or scared the **** out of the paranoid.

Had everyone going on and on about what to do about an active shooter and how to defend yourself, without guns because they be evil or some shit while me and a few others are brainstorming how the **** we can get them in. I actually brought up pros and cons of designated defenders.

Anyway when everyone was going on and on about how many people an active shooter could kill I pointed out rather bluntly that I could wipe out the entire place with nothing more than some home made termite, some 550 cord, and a little bit of websearching. Kind of killed the active shooter conversation. It isn't the gun that kills people. If that were the case, trust me, some of the competitions I have been at would have been bloodbaths. And while I have been at shoots where people got shot, every time because of stupid asshats, no one in their right mind would hit one. I shoot competition with my CCW on me for that matter. Hell somedays with the wind I might as well open carry because my shirt is blowing up and everyone is seeing that Glock and mag on my belt. But, then again, there is another half a dozen around who are carrying there too. A honest shooting competition is one the safest environment that most people would ever enter, and the friendliest and most respectable group of people you will meet.

Anyway, I am ranting. Those who have made their mental choices about what is right and wrong can not be swayed. Those who are on the fence, sometimes breaking the arguments of the antis down to nothing may help. At least that is my experience. I am not going write a term paper tonight. I will end with saying that not getting fired up and emotional when the enemy is can make you appear to be the more reasonable party. I've won people over being the one who is calm, collected, and able to use statistics, and facts opposed to being the screaming bitch.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12