Thread: 300 Blackout and 30-30 round nose projectiles?

Feedback Score

300 Blackout and 30-30 round nose projectiles?

This is not a new idea, however I searched this forum and my search results yielded no answers. Do any of you have experience handloading .30-30 round nose projectiles in the 300 Blackout? Perhaps the Sierra Pro Hunter 150gr? For an AR15 of course, so feeding reliably is a must. I'm sure T.O.S. has discussed this but I'm not a member.
    "The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government" -Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used the 125 gr Sierra pro hunters that are round nose and flat base. I tried them for hunting but they would not expand reliably so I stopped using them. I've also used 150gr flat nose copper washed lead rounds and they worked just so so. I would have a jam with about 1 in 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    Beaux, I'm not about to claim to be an expert on reloading for 300 BLK. That said, I've been reloading them since shortly after the cartridge was developed and standardized and I built myself an AR chambered for it.

I've tried several powders and bullets and here is what I've found works for me so far in the AR platform.

Powders
    H110/Win296 are both excellent for supers w/ bullets 110 - 180 gr
    Lil'GUN is also very good for supers w/ bullets 110 - 180 gr
    Alliant 300-MP is great for supers w/ bullets 110 - 150 gr
    IMR4227 and AA9 is good for supers w/ bullets 100 - 150 gr (leaning toward being better w/ lighter in that range)
    Alliant 2400 was also good for supers w/ bullets 100 - 150 gr

I haven't done much experimentation with subs.

Bullets
    Hornady 100 gr SJ - great little plinking bullet that feeds/functions much better than the RN bullets designed for 30 Carbine and also very economical
    Hornady 110 gr V-MAX
    Sierra 110 gr HP
    Barnes 110 gr M/LE Tac-TX (Black Tips) generally considered the benchmark for 300 BLK bullet but pricey
    Sierra 125 gr Spitzer
    Speer 125 gr TNT-HP
    147 gr FMJ military ball 'pulls' also very economical heavier plinking round
    Hornady 150 gr Interlock SP
    Hornady 165 gr Interlock SP
    Hornady 180 gr Interlock SP

The RN and FP bullets I tried from different manufacturers in 150 and 170 gr didn't feed/function well, possibly because of the amount the bullets are canted inward in the magazine. I've considered but haven't yet tried the 140 gr Monoflex or the 160 gr FTX. YMMV

Lobo
    Last edited by LoboTBL; 02-28-16 at 12:16.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Good info. May have to do some testing myself.
    "The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government" -Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    There are also some very informative threads at 300blktalk.com
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

I use the Speer 125gr TNT bullet and 18.1gr oh H110 for hunting/SD/HD loads. The Sierra 135gr Varminter will work too. As far as plinking loads go I still use the 125gr TNT bullet because it's cheap and works great in my gun.

Subsonic loads I use the Nosler 220gr BTHP-M bullet and 9.2gr of H110.
    HTH

Paul