Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 bbl hood peening

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Glock 19 bbl hood peening

Has anyone ever seen this before? I haven't.

It's the raised lip at the rear end of the hood, that I'm concerned about.

The pistol is a 2nd gen model 19. Bought used, all springs were replaced (along with the striker, trigger bar, extractor and other small parts - other than the locking block). They were since replaced every 5k rounds. I believe there are about 20k through it, total.

The locking block broke on the range within the last 500 rounds. I had 3 malfunctions (2 double feeds, 1 FTE) in the first 300, relubed it a little heavier and it ran the next 200 just fine. Cleaned it today, and noticed it being broken.

This is the first time I've noticed this wear on the bbl hood...I'm thinking the few hundred rounds which were fired with the broken locking block may have allowed this to happen. I already have a replacement locking block and springs on order.

Has anyone ever seen wear here on Glock barrels? I'm going to contact Glock tomorrow and get their take on it...but I didn't know if this is something relatively common on high-mileage Glocks that I just haven't noticed before.

I'm not really excited to send it back...as I don't feel like ripping the sights off it, and I need it for work. But I'm getting the feeling that I might need to.

Anyone seen this before? Is this nothing to get excited about?

Feedback Score
    Oh my, that's a new one for me!

Feedback Score
    cool,
    i would not worry about it to much. i had the same thing happen to my service gun and that barrel now has over 70,000 rds thru it. if you run your finger or a cleaning patch over it does it feel rough or does it pull little fibers off the patch that stick to the area? trust me it doesn't get any worse. shoot the gun and have fun with it. mind you about 3/4 of the ammo thru that barr. are +p or +p+ just to give you an idea.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detmongo View Post
    cool,
    i would not worry about it to much. i had the same thing happen to my service gun and that barrel now has over 70,000 rds thru it. if you run your finger or a cleaning patch over it does it feel rough or does it pull little fibers off the patch that stick to the area? trust me it doesn't get any worse. shoot the gun and have fun with it. mind you about 3/4 of the ammo thru that barr. are +p or +p+ just to give you an idea.
    Yeah, you can feel it with your finger...not really any rough edges that caught on a patch, though.

Almost ALL of the rounds I've put through this have been std pressure target loads...all factory new. Just a few boxes of Speer 124gr +P from time to time.

I just wonder if it was the result of the locking block going, or if it'd been there and I never noticed.

Feedback Score
    i don't think it had anything to do with the locking block breaking. i broke a locking block in my g19 and the gun was shooting way left (like four or five inches) i found it when i cleaned the gun. the peening happened long befor the locking block broke. it will only peen so far, then i usually will get no worse.

Feedback Score
    sorry just to give you an idea about 50,000 plus rounds of gold dot 124 gr. +p went thru that barr..

Feedback Score
    The locking block does seem to be a week point, too bad they could not make it out of a stamping, like the rest of the mechanism. I beleive there are billet/machined versions of this component???
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 10-25-09 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Interesting haven't see that before either and I own a few Glocks.

BTW- I just did my recert and they are now recommending replacing the recoil spring assembly every 3500 rounds. You may also consider contacting Glock as I remember something about some batches of G19's that had issues. The factory did fix or replace them however. I'll look at my notes and see if I can find something.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Interesting haven't see that before either and I own a few Glocks.

BTW- I just did my recert and they are now recommending replacing the recoil spring assembly every 3500 rounds. You may also consider contacting Glock as I remember something about some batches of G19's that had issues. The factory did fix or replace them however. I'll look at my notes and see if I can find something.
    Thanks.

I'm going to call them in the morning...I'm just not really excited to ship this thing back to them. Between needing to rip the sights off, pay for shipping, and go without it at work.... I'd rather just put in the new locking block and be done with it.

It figures that I just stippled the grip this week, and now have to send them a gun which has obviously been modified (though only the grip and sights)...all the springs and all, are stock.

The SN is AVC1##...if that helps identify it within the notes you may have.

I brought it up because I've seen quite a few 9mm Glocks go 40k+...never noticed this before, though.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    The locking block does seem to be a week point, too bad they could not make it out of a stamping, like the rest of the mechanism. I beleive there are billet/machined versions of this component???
    Huh...didn't know that. I just ordered another stock one from glockmeister. I might try to catch Glock customer service before the order ships though....see if they want to replace it (if the gun ends up needing to go back).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast