Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Choice for CCW in 45??

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Best Choice for CCW in 45??

Was looking at the S&W M&P line the other day and saw a pistol that I had forgotten about. It is their mid-framed 45 (109307).

It has all the features I like in a CCW weapon:

1. 4" Slide
    2. Adjustable back straps
    3. Ability to use Crimson Trace Laser Grips

Could this gun be the G19 of the 45 world?

This might be one of S&W's best kept secrets.

Thoughts?

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The way I carry, grip length matters waay more than slide length (assuming the slide is under 4.5" or so), so the M&P45 Compact is more to my tastes. Besides, the M&P45 compact to me feels more G19 like with a "just enough" grip. This is more like a G17 w/ a G19 slide...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I could hang up the 4516 for that I may have to check one out

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Thoughts?
    Yeah Grant, I think that about nails it. If you check 10-8 forums, Hilton Yam and a number over there seem to think that the mid-size .45 M&P is pretty much the 'sweet spot' of the series, for those who like to carry a .45.

To me, the pistol balances nicely, is extremely accurate, fits my existing M&P 9 full-size holsters, and soaks up recoil to the extent that it actually shoot softer than a full-sized govt model 1911! The only thing that is a LITTLE disappointing on mine is that gritty, crunchy trigger that is so common on newer M&P's. But I assume mine will break in after I get 1K rounds or more through it, plus dry firing.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Grant - don't know if you have read this before or not, but Hilton Yam thinks the 4" is the best of the M&P .45s:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...0&page=1#72516

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

The Best of Both Worlds

You could build your own version like this. Long slide, 4.5 barrel, on the compact frame. No CTC laser grips avaliable yet.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Grant I have one that I carry when I'm not carrying one of my G19's. If you have been carrying a G19 it will take a little getting used too because of the little extra weight. Also there is a little extra length involving the beaver tail and grip to get used to as well.
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 01-25-10 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have the ambi-safety version. As a former 1911 and HK .45 fanatic, the M&P is the least pleasant .45 I've shot. For my puny hands, the beavertail is simply too wide and flat. Strangers that have shot my gun haven't liked it.

Perhaps the regular version is better. I thought it would be a good carry gun (Colt Commander/HK V9 substitute), but quickly lost interest.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Was looking at the S&W M&P line the other day and saw a pistol that I had forgotten about. It is their mid-framed 45 (109307).

It has all the features I like in a CCW weapon:

1. 4" Slide
    2. Adjustable back straps
    3. Ability to use Crimson Trace Laser Grips

Could this gun be the G19 of the 45 world?

Thoughts?

C4

I carry one when I'm not carrying a G19, and yes, I think it is the best kept secret (and the best model) of the whole line. Put it in a Raven Concealment holster and it's light, has plenty of firepower on tap, and is accurate as hell. I've almost completely hung up my 1911s in favor of it.

Feedback Score
    I've been thinking about buying a 4" slide assembly and barrel myself. Cheaper than buying a 45c but I don't really get size reduction where it matters

Off topic question: What sights are those? Rear looks Novak-esque in profile but the "boot cut" is new to me. I like the Novak sight picture so this intrigues me.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast