Thread: Turning Targets?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Turning Targets?

Turning targets are a really good way to break yourself of any type of standard response. When I first started working with turning targets I would often stop shooting before the target had fully turned away. My brain was so used to shooting a predetermined number of shots that I was taking my gun out of the fight on my own. Turners are especially helpful if you use them with a shooting buddy. If you don't know the exposure time you can't even estimate the number of rounds to fire.
    Which turning targets do those who use them recommend?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The turners I've used have been permanent fixtures on the range were they are located. After The Katar mentioned looking for a cheaper solution in the other thread, I started to think about how to make a turning target stand. If you made a target stand that could turn 90 degrees, then attached some rope to it, you could have a really cheap turning target solution. Only problem is that it would require a second person to operate the target for the shooter.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Only problem is that it would require a second person to operate the target for the shooter.
    You could do an automated system setup to run on random timers.

Action Target makes turners:
    http://www.actiontarget.com/
    Last edited by MarshallDodge; 01-30-10 at 19:31. Reason: Hit the button too soon
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Portable turners:

Pop-up:

On GSA Schedule.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The turners I've used have been permanent fixtures on the range were they are located. After The Katar mentioned looking for a cheaper solution in the other thread, I started to think about how to make a turning target stand. If you made a target stand that could turn 90 degrees, then attached some rope to it, you could have a really cheap turning target solution. Only problem is that it would require a second person to operate the target for the shooter.
    Here is a plan for a drop turner: Drop Turn Target. There is a link at the bottom of the page for a PDF of the plans, but the build does require some skills. Here's the link to the main page of that site, which has some other target plans: FreeIdaho.org

If you wanted to trip it yourself, you could probably rig a large popper to fall on a wire and release the turner.

Feedback Score
    Beacon makes solid turning targets that are affordable compared to everything else on the market: www.beacontarget.com
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Portable turners:

On GSA Schedule.
    Does this mean there is .gov pricing?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    Does this mean there is .gov pricing?
    Several years ago, I speced out an eight station turning target system from the big names like Action Target. IIRC, Beacon's cost was roughly 33% of the big names. There system is very simple and therefore easy to maintain.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.