Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original AR-10 Picture Thread

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Original AR-10 Picture Thread

I've always liked the "second gen" main battle rifles that were developed and were issued after WWII. The FAL, HK G3, M14, BM-59, and the Armalite AR-10.

The original AR-10 as produced in the Netherlands for the governments of Portugal, Sudan, Nicaragua, Burma, and several other countries never suffered from the spotty reputation for reliability that the more current AR-10 systems do.

The Portuguese used them widely in their colonial wars in Mozambique and Angola, where they were issued side by side with FN FAL's and HK G3's. Articles by Chuck Taylor in the 80's lead me to believe that they were favored over the FAL and G3 systems that the Portuguese used in theater.

There were a few US made semi auto clones built using original military uppers on semi auto lowers, made by Sendra and Telco. You don't see them often, and when you do, they are usually running over $3K now.

Anyway, here are some pics of Portuguese troops taken during the colonial wars in Angola and Mozambique during the late 60's and early 70's.

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If it wasn't for George Sullivan(then Armalite's president) using the untried aluminum/steel composite barrel during the test, we very well could have had this instead of a band-aid.
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 02-03-10 at 04:51.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    If it wasn't for George Sullivan(then Armalite's president) using the untried aluminum/steel composite barrel during the test, we very well could have had this instead of a band-aid.

Actually if we'd gone with the original NATO compromise, a FAL chambered in .280 British, we'd probably still be using it, with updates through the years.

I *believe* that this belongs to a guy named Timkel, who's been a member of the various boards for a while. It's the Sudanese version, which doesn't have the bipod or heavy handguards of the Portuguese model.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Actually if we'd gone with the original NATO compromise, a FAL chambered in .280 British, we'd probably still be using it, with updates through the years.

I *believe* that this belongs to a guy named Timkel, who's been a member of the various boards for a while. It's the Sudanese version, which doesn't have the bipod or heavy handguards of the Portuguese model.

Wow, that's nice. I have never seen that rifle posted before. Thanks for the great education as always.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Woefully ignorant...

but to me, the handguard in the first photo looks very FAL-ish. Is there a history lesson here?
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Wow Templar - looks awesome. I remember Armalite(not the original company) started making the original(ish) upper with the charging handle inder the carry handle. I think you even got a toaster with it.
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score

spoood

I remember, when I was a wee crawler barely able to look over a gun counter top, at a shop my Father took me to, there were two exotic rifles on the upper shelf that drew my attention time and again; one was a Sig AMT and the other was a Portuguese/Nato model AR-10. I fell in love with them both and had always wanted one of each. Years later, I finally found an AR-10 and then a few years after that, an AMT. Now, I have 4 Portuguese model AR-10s (semi, of course) and have been searching for the Sudanese model which was supposed to be built in larger numbers. Anyhow, no pics of mine at this time, but I do have a few online images of the Portuguese in Angola if anyone wants, and here's a good site to read more about them: http://www.xs4all.nl/~harmar68/schie...rame%20pag.htm Also, in response to M4fun's statement; the new Armalite did make the in-handle charger model for a couple of years. The charger was more like the Sudan version; a one piece design, vice the 4 piece collapsable charging handle like the Ports. I have an early AR-10B with the standard A2 stock and handguard, and I have the later version with the brown Sudan style handguard and stock. Both are a joy to shoot, tho I wish they had flash suppressors instead of breaks.
    Last edited by Aardvark; 02-03-10 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    Woefully ignorant...

but to me, the handguard in the first photo looks very FAL-ish. Is there a history lesson here?

The Portuguese contract AR-10's used a handguard that was fiberglass for half of the length, and the remainder had a steel shroud over the barrel.

Here's a pic of a real Dutch production Portuguese contract AR-10 from the Knight collection. This one also has the optional bipod attached.

Very different from most FAL handguards.

Although, the Israeli FAL set up uses a similar concept, it's still different from the AR-10.

Last edited by TOrrock; 02-03-10 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yup, it was the Israeli handguard that it reminded me of. Looking at the first photo you posted, it looked a lot like a wooden handguard that stopped short of the gas block and forward assembly. The Dutch one has a similar look. Not to say that it's a spitting image of the FAL, but they just look similar to me.
    Thanks for the update.

Damn you have a sweet collection!
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    Yup, it was the Israeli handguard that it reminded me of. Looking at the first photo you posted, it looked a lot like a wooden handguard that stopped short of the gas block and forward assembly. The Dutch one has a similar look. Not to say that it's a spitting image of the FAL, but they just look similar to me.
    Thanks for the update.

Damn you have a sweet collection!
    Not my collection, unfortunately.

I have had a Springfield Armory SAR-48 Israeli HB, but that was long ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast