Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: civilian ownership of peq 15a

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    yes, it's legal

Feedback Score

civilian ownership of peq 15a

is it legal as a lay person to purchase and own a peq 15a or comparable device from a law enfforcement officer who obtained it legally? your thoughts and ideas would be most appreciated. i cannot seem to get an answer to this question. hill 300

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the item is not stolen military equipment, it's legal to purchase. IR lasers/illuminators are not sold to the public widely because of consumer safety concerns, namely people burning their eyeballs with the lasers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have yet to see a retailer that will sell one to someone who does not hold DoD or LEO ID.

You can find them on Ebay from time to time.

The PEQ-15 uses a class 3B laser which is not eyesafe.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    To put it in perspective, a good quality laser pointer is .5mw. Even on LOW a PEQ-15 (non-DBAL version) is 10x more powerful.

At HIGH it's 90 times more powerful. So just something to consider.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    The regulation applies to sales and not ownership. If you can find a used one for sale you can legally own it BUT you will not be able to legally purchase one new.

There are very strict regulations on how the sales go down through dealers. Items must be purchased on dept letterhead/PO, to be delivered to a dept address, with dept payment. Individual purchases are not allowed.

I have been on both sides of the fence, end user and now dealer (for LDI). It's unfortunate but thems the rules.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    To put it in perspective, a good quality laser pointer is .5mw. Even on LOW a PEQ-15 (non-DBAL version) is 10x more powerful.

At HIGH it's 90 times more powerful. So just something to consider.
    Think maybe you're thinking of the PEQ-15A (DBAL), after all. It's got more juice.

Insight AN/PEQ-15
    Aim Laser(s)
    VIS = 4mW, +/-1mW
    IR LO = 600uW, +/-100uW
    IR HI = 25mW

Illuminator (IR only)
    LO = <3.5mW
    HI = 30mW

As mentioned before, since the aim laser on HI is a Class 3B laser (NOHD = 234m; Army says different, but they're test protocols for such things are pretty...well, shitty), the PEQ-15 a restricted item. Being able to purchase one as an everyday individual is supposed to be nigh-impossible, however, it's merely very difficult.

While I can't think of a single earthly reason why a civilian would need one, I also don't think that that means that the tectonic plates are going to catastrophically shift because one manages to get his meathooks onto one. It can be done if you look around hard enough. If you get the opportunity to make a purchase, call Insight and run the serial # to make sure it's cool (i.e., not stolen, on some list that states it was/will be destroyed, etc.), presuming you have no interest on being party to a felony. Cover your ass, legally. If the seller objects, dime his ass out immediately, it's a sure flag that they're in the wrong.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverine View Post
    Think maybe you're thinking of the PEQ-15A (DBAL), after all. It's got more juice.

Insight AN/PEQ-15
    Aim Laser(s)
    VIS = 4mW, +/-1mW
    IR LO = 600uW, +/-100uW
    IR HI = 25mW

Illuminator (IR only)
    LO = <3.5mW
    HI = 30mW

As mentioned before, since the aim laser on HI is a Class 3B laser (NOHD = 234m; Army says different, but they're test protocols for such things are pretty...well, shitty), the PEQ-15 a restricted item. Being able to purchase one as an everyday individual is supposed to be nigh-impossible, however, it's merely very difficult.

While I can't think of a single earthly reason why a civilian would need one, I also don't think that that means that the tectonic plates are going to catastrophically shift because one manages to get his meathooks onto one. It can be done if you look around hard enough. If you get the opportunity to make a purchase, call Insight and run the serial # to make sure it's cool (i.e., not stolen, on some list that states it was/will be destroyed, etc.), presuming you have no interest on being party to a felony. Cover your ass, legally. If the seller objects, dime his ass out immediately, it's a sure flag that they're in the wrong.
    While I agree with most of your post (except there are 2 versions of the DBAL and ATPIAL with different power outputs), I will have to ask why you think any civilians may not need one? There are NUMEROUS night hunters out there for instance that a IR laser helps them immensely with varmint control for starters. Self protection is another. I wish ALL IR lasers could be FDA legal for sale as folks can be trusted with a firearm, but not a laser? Just my humble opinion on this coming from someone who uses a lot of these devices.

Vic
    Last edited by Victor; 03-15-10 at 22:51.
    Victor Di Cosola
    sales@tnvc.com
    http://www.tnvc.com
    "Eliminating our adversaries 940nm at a time"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I wish ALL IR lasers could be FDA legal for sale as folks can be trusted with a firearm, but not a laser? Just my humble opinion on this coming from someone who uses a lot of these devices.
    i'm totally against federal regulations that don't directly affect interstate commerce as it relates to the actual interstate travel of money and goods, and only then when there is an exceptional need for mature interference, as all other federal regulation is completely and totally unconstitutional..

however, people can be pretty stupid, and i'm sure eye-damaging IR laser NDs would be a lot more common if everybody and his uncle could just walk into Walmart and buy one. should they be able to? hell yes. would most people be stupid with them? hell yes.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverine View Post
    While I can't think of a single earthly reason why a civilian would need one...
    With the exception of designating a target for optically guided ordnance, I would presume the uses for civilians would be identical to that of the military. Hunting and defense at night.

I personally can't seem to find it in my budget, but would consider it just like a white light in regards to tools available for use in a specific role.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 03-15-10 at 23:02.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast