Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vltor A5 Buffer system - KA SR-15 problems

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Vltor A5 Buffer system - KA SR-15 problems

I just purchased a A5 Buffer and spring and Tube and put it on my brand new KA SR-15 and had to take it off and put the gun back to stock because it would barely eject the brass 2 feet and occasionally would not reset the trigger. I spoke to Robb Jensen and he suspect low powered PMC ammo is the problem. The squeeze aint worth the juice for me. I'm not turning a 2000 dollar gun into a finicky eater.

In contrast I also added the A5 System to my other Middy and it seems to run flawless.

Any input here is appreciated.
    Last edited by Tzoid; 03-05-11 at 20:44.
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    SR-15 has a proprietary gas tube length....might that be the prob?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I thought of that since my other mid-length gas gun runs fine on the PMC ammo.

I know this A5 Buffer set up is supposed to be the heat but it didn't work for me out of the gate.
    Tzoid

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The KAC is longer than a midlength.

I had bought a MSTN/Noveske 16" with an intermediate length gas system. The intermediate is roughly the same length as the KAC one.

In using it with the A5, I haven't had any issues at all. I don't know if there is a gas port size difference between the two.

Are you using the stock A5 buffer (equal to an H3) or one of the heavier ones?

I had just assembled the rifle, and only ran about 80 rounds through it at an indoor range, but no hiccups to report. Ammo was factory loaded 55gr HSM...free practice ammo.
    Last edited by bp7178; 03-05-11 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    It was the stock A5 Buffer that comes with the Spring kit.

This...

http://www.vltorstore.com/products/A...uffer-Kit.html
    Tzoid

Feedback Score
    I believe that the SR-15 buffer is carbine weight, and the SR-15's gas tube length and gas port size is designed for that weight. PMC is on the weaker side, but still runs fine in my stock SR-15 E3, with very soft recoil impulse. Ammo like PMC is probably the weakest ammo that is still reliable with the stock SR-15.
    The A5 buffer is heavier than the SR-15 buffer, meaning that PMC won't be powerful enough to be reliable. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this makes sense to me. It might run awesome with more powerful ammo.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I think you correct and others have said the same thing...

I just don't want to make my SR-15 into a picky SOB. It's a rally soft shooting gun stock with the Battle Comp 2.0.
    Tzoid

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I'm sure I posted this in the wrong area so if the Moderators see this thread please move it to the AR Technical area.

Thanks
    Tzoid

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If the KAC is designed for a carbine weight buffer, that could be the problem.

There was another member here that was running a A5 on a KAC, and I don't recall there being any issues. It's very likely this is ammo related. Check the A5 thread that was a few pages long. Lots of info in there.

If PMC is all you have to shoot, you may have to switch back to the standard carbine extension.

I put the A5 on my intermediate 16" knowing at some point there could be issues. Both are so new to the market, they really haven't been tested with each other. Im using a Battlecomp 2.0 on mine as well. Very smooth shooting.

That being said, I generally stay away from known weak ammo. I'm going to order some 77gr and 75gr ASYM ammo when the weather gets warmer for accuracy testing.
    Last edited by bp7178; 03-05-11 at 21:44.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I have about 6 thousand rounds of PMC and about the same in Fiocchi , Black Hills Blue box , M855 and Remington UMC. so I have ammo choices.
    Tzoid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast