Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Initial thoughts on the Walther PPS

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    OP, Im curious to know why you went from a G19 to a Wather PPS and not to a G26?. Why not a sub compact Glock? I only ask because I went from a G19 to a 26. I looked at the PPS, but I could'nt get past the mag release & the PPS are $200 more here in Ct. Also it was an easier transition & I already have plenty of hi cap magazines (btw, vote no to RB1094). I dont want to start a Glock/Walther debate, Im just interested to know the reason. Thanks. Dan

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For those that have carried this AND an M&P 9 Compact, is the difference significant?

Obviously the single stack makes it thinner and a few ounces and 4 rounds lighter.

With the M&P it can still use full size mags, familiar grip, etc.

Just wondering if is 'that' much smaller than the M&P for a summer CCW.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by onado2000 View Post
    OP, Im curious to know why you went from a G19 to a Wather PPS and not to a G26?. Why not a sub compact Glock? I only ask because I went from a G19 to a 26. I looked at the PPS, but I could'nt get past the mag release & the PPS are $200 more here in Ct. Also it was an easier transition & I already have plenty of hi cap magazines (btw, vote no to RB1094). I dont want to start a Glock/Walther debate, Im just interested to know the reason. Thanks. Dan
    I don't know about the OP, but for my wife (and me) the deal-breaker was the thickness of the grip with double-stack mag and lack of 5th finger support, as well as the overall pistol thickness and weight of the whole package. We both looked hard at the G26, and with blue-label discount the price difference was significant, but went PPS anyway. No regrets.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateCitizen View Post
    For those that have carried this AND an M&P 9 Compact, is the difference significant?

Obviously the single stack makes it thinner and a few ounces and 4 rounds lighter.

With the M&P it can still use full size mags, familiar grip, etc.

Just wondering if is 'that' much smaller than the M&P for a summer CCW.
    The PPS is MUCH lighter and thinner than a G26 or M&P compact.

The PPS is so small and light, that I almost forget that it is on me.

C4

Feedback Score
    I've got 1,700 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through my 9mm PPS with zero malfunctions to date.

I've also been very impressed with the excellent accuracy from a pistol with a 3.2" barrel.

After approximately 500 rds. my trigger smoothed out considerably.

Good luck zacbol, I feel sure you'll get your PPS's quirks worked out.
    "Never confuse movement with action."
    Ernest Hemingway

Join the NRA - protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I don't know about the OP, but for my wife (and me) the deal-breaker was the thickness of the grip with double-stack mag and lack of 5th finger support, as well as the overall pistol thickness and weight of the whole package. We both looked hard at the G26, and with blue-label discount the price difference was significant, but went PPS anyway. No regrets.
    +1

The G26 is still a double-stack. My problem with the G19 isn't it's length or height, it's that it's so damn thick. As I noted, I have no problem concealing the G19 (or really even that much problem concealing my HK45), but I constantly know it's there because of the big heavy lump in my back. As C4IGrant said, with the PPS and a good IWB leather holster you basically forget it's there.

Add to that with the Walther and the 7-round mag I can have a full grip (which is not possible with the G26) that feels *more* comfortable to me than even the G19, and it was an easy decision.

Provided I can get the gun running smoothly, I may try to standardize on Walther (pick up a P99 or PPQ) and ditch Glock for carry, though I can't imagine getting rid of the G19 and the load of magazines I have. Everyone should have at least one G19.

I actually started to find myself faster with the weird trigger safety (though I still have some safety concerns about actuating something so close to the trigger). The only real thing I dislike about the gun (provided I get it running smoothly) is that you can't do admin reloads while holstered. This may seem like a minor thing, but in handgun classes I've done I've found this a big deal, particularly with the lower capacity magazines where you're constantly trying to make sure you're topped off.
    Last edited by zacbol; 04-04-11 at 12:29.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is the PPS small enough to pocket carry, with the right holster? Always seemed like an interesting gun.
    I've carried my PPS with the 6 round mag in a crappy-ass Uncle Mike's pocket holster every day for the last year and a half, 95% of the time in slacks and 5% of the time in jeans without issue, but then again I'm a big dude and my big pants may come with bigger pockets than most.

Now that I've finally gotten a job that actually pays decent money I fully intend to get a much better holster for it.

On the plus side, on the 2 or 3 times I've holster carried it, it fits just fine in both my Glock 26 Galco Fletch and Glock 26 Crossbreed Supertuck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post
    I've carried my PPS with the 6 round mag in a crappy-ass Uncle Mike's pocket holster every day for the last year and a half, 95% of the time in slacks and 5% of the time in jeans without issue, but then again I'm a big dude and my big pants may come with bigger pockets than most.

Now that I've finally gotten a job that actually pays decent money I fully intend to get a much better holster for it.

On the plus side, on the 2 or 3 times I've holster carried it, it fits just fine in both my Glock 26 Galco Fletch and Glock 26 Crossbreed Supertuck.
    What holster are you looking to upgrade to?

I have a buddy who is very averse to the size of things he puts into his pockets. He is a nut about small phones, and he is a big guy.

I forget when I have iphone in my pocket, sometimes even a wrench- so I'm pretty immune to weight, and unfortunately, I have big pockets too
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand
    What holster are you looking to upgrade to?
    Was seriously considering a FIST. I really like the push-tab design, especially for loosely fitting slacks pockets where the friction of the outside of the holster can be unreliable.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post
    Was seriously considering a FIST. I really like the push-tab design, especially for loosely fitting slacks pockets where the friction of the outside of the holster can be unreliable.
    I've used a FIST Kydex pocket holster for years. Had one made for a Glock 26. Great holster for what it's intended usage is.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast