Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with 3 point jam, DW Valor. update page 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I finally found something that may be off. When compared to my other 1911s the frame feed ramp on the valor is the farthest forward. I will measure it when I get a battery for my calipers.

Does anyone know what the measurment should be from the back of the magwell to the frame feed ramp?

I measured from the top of edge of the upper part of the magwell (lip forward of the disconnector)to the top edge of the frame feed ramp

Valor 1.533
    TRP 1.512
    Kobra 1.518
    Last edited by silvery37; 10-03-11 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

This is identical to the issues I had with my '09 CCO.

I sent it back and the work order that returned with the gun stated that they had" throated the chamber,polished feed ramp,replaced/tuned slide stop,polished breech face"

No more problems.

It would only run using the factory mags,and even then,it was sporadic.

I am sure you will have no problems with it after DW's cs gets done with it.

I just wish that the qc would have caught it before it went out the door.

DAT85

Feedback Score
    These type issues are what make me wonder if these companies test fire all their guns before sending them out the door.
    Last edited by Redhat; 11-06-11 at 10:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is frustrating to have bought a rather expensive gun and not have it work. Keith at Dan Wesson has been good so far. My biggest fear is that they get it back and run 50 rounds of ball ammo through it and say there isnt a problem.

I compared the valor to my other 1911s again this morning. I was trying to see where the bullet strikes the frame feed ramp on the trp. I couldn't really tell if it strikes at the same spot as the valor or not. It appeared close. What I did notice on the trp is when I moved the slide forward by hand as slow as possible as soon as the nose of the bullet touches the frame feed ramp it is instantly deflected up to the barrel. It was so sensitive to being deflected that I couldn't get the bullet to stay there so I could see where on the frame feed ramp it initially makes contact. With the valor the bullet hits the feed ramp and just stops. I cant see any dimensional differences but I am wondering if the feed ramp on the valor is too narrow.

I took a picture of the kobra feed ramp. It is also appears to strike low but it doesnt have any problems feeding. It appears that I was probably wrong about the bullet striking too low being the problem. Something else is happening at the feed ramp that is stopping the round.

Kobra, feed fine

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Valor, not so much...

Last edited by silvery37; 10-04-11 at 11:22.

Feedback Score
    silvery37,

check your PMs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I took a video. It seems like the problem is worse when the feed ramp is clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33hJA6hk09k

Factory and new ETM mag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_lP0PHgXh8

230grain gold dot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xc68g_uXOY

with slide down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mTM4BowoPg
    Last edited by silvery37; 10-04-11 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    After looking at your pictures of the problems, something doesn't look right in pics 1 and 13. It looks like the round is nose diving into the feed ramp. Did you take a look from the side when a loaded mag is inserted into the frame with out the slide on the gun?? The round presentation to the feed ramp doesn't look right. I hope DW clears it up for you, as you said, nothing worse than shelling out serious cash to have this happen. Thank goodness you were not staking your life on this pistol. I hope it gets sorted out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The more rounds that are in a 1911 mag the worse they nose dive. From what I can tell the Valor doesnt nose dive any worse than my other 1911s. The only difference is that the other 1911s are still able to deflect the round off the frame feed ramp and into the chamber.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got the pistol back today. It was a little over a two week turnaround so that is reasonable. A receipt in the box said they tuned ejector, tuned extractor, throated barrel, removed line and polished feed ramp. Apparently a machining mark had been left on the feed ramp and this was causing the feeding problems.

Here is what they did to the feed ramp.

I asked them to adjust the ejector if it wouldn't effect the reliability. I was having problems ejecting live rounds. It looks like the ejector is gone now.

I plan to shoot it tomorrow. If it works I will be happy. I am a little irritated with the feed ramp. I paid 300 dollars more for this pistol over their stainless model because of the black "duty treatment" coating. This coating is no longer on the feed ramp.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would not want the coating on my feed ramp. I personally think you are better off.

Most important thing is how does it shoot now?

any pics of the barrel throat?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast