Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Hk 416 user feedback?

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I'm by no means an expert, but I've used a 10.4" and 14.5" HK416 in carbine classes and found them to be very reliable over the 6-8K rounds I've shot. I just sold my last upper (keeping the lowers) as the prices they fetch are crazy! The recoil impulse made getting follow-up shots harder for me than with a DI gun. Great guns, though.

Jake

Feedback Score

As I have mentioned previously, the HK416N has been upgraded to ensure higher reliability.

The issues that have arisen are:

-Adjustable Gas Regulator popping out, or wiggling to Suppressed setting during firing. It is a maintenance issue, but disassembly of the AGR is as of now not part of 1st line maintenance.

-Disconnector breaking. At first thought to be due to poor materials used by HK during manufacturing, turned out to be a result of the environmental ammo being "hotter", causing more strain on the disconnector when the hammer struck it during cycling of the bolt. Mostly an issue on the 10.5" HK416K.

-Wrong dimensions on roll pins. Mostly an issue on the charging handle and buffer, although there has been one incident where the ejector assembly roll pin was pushed out during firing. It finally protruded so far out of the hole to cause an out of battery incident, with the gun blowing up. Thankfully only minor injuries to the shooter.

The modifications done to my gun are:

-New AGR, with new pin and spring assembly. It will not come loose anymore due to carbon build up, and is much easier to clean. No disassembly needed. It also has bigger ports, allowing for increased gas flow.
    -New trigger assembly group. Two stage trigger, same as on the HK416S, and a hood protecting the disconnector from wear
    -New roll pins on charging handle
    -New ejector roll pin
    -Staking of the roll pin in the buffer

Pics of new gas regulator:

Pics of new trigger assembly group:

I haven't been able to shoot it yet, so cannot comment on the effects of the new trigger, or if the bigger holes in the AGR smooths out the action at all.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good pictures Arctic, are these your personal modifications or are these HK modifications?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Arctic out of curiosity is you rifle semi/auto or semi/burst?

Also thanks for the pics and info. It's good to hear it straight from a military user.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    @HKGuns:

These mods are done by our armorers, with parts and tools supplied by HK.

@C-grunt:

The rifle is semi/auto.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I don't get your point? I said (and so have others) that unless you are shooting a lot of rounds suppressed and/ or full-auto then DI is the best option.

Since I am not CAG or ST6 pouring thousands of rounds down range (and 99.9% of us here aren't) I still think a well built DI is the way to go.
    I have to agree with this.

just because some special forces use a certain gun does not mean its the best. it just means its the best for their uses.

for 99% of everyone DI is the way to go. there is nothing wrong with DI, but maybe if you fire thousands upon thousand of rounds out of a suppressed SBR, like certain groups do a piston gun like the HK416 may be the way to go.

for the rest the DI works fine
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 03-27-12 at 23:43.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    For the Marines and Army DI is the way to go.
    Dude, how on earth would you know what is good for the Marines or the Army considering you've never been a part of the military?? I know you're basing your opinion on what LAV a lot of SME's here say but you're crossing the line and making their opinions your fact.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutfsu99 View Post
    Dude, how on earth would you know what is good for the Marines or the Army considering you've never been a part of the military?? I know you're basing your opinion on what LAV a lot of SME's here say but you're crossing the line and making their opinions your fact.
    You are correct about my lack of service, but I'm basing my opinions off of family and friends, of which I have almost 20 in active duty today.

All have seen numerous deployments and numerous engagements and all of which never have issues with their rifles.(Army and Marines)

Since I don't want to offend anyone else or be called out again I will edit that part out, since obviously you have to have active combat backing you to be able to say whether something works for a Branch.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 03-27-12 at 23:44.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    There's no need to get all hurt about it. Think about it this way....it would be like me telling the Coast Guard what boats they need for their jobs because I read it online or a family member/friend told me. Maybe if I was a boat SME, then I'd have a leg to stand on....but I'm not. It's called a lane.

We all get told to get back in it sometimes

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutfsu99 View Post
    There's no need to get all hurt about it. Think about it this way....it would be like me telling the Coast Guard what boats they need for their jobs because I read it online or a family member/friend told me. Maybe if I was a boat SME, then I'd have a leg to stand on....but I'm not. It's called a lane.

We all get told to get back in it sometimes
    If you say so, back in my lane I go

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast