Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Volund Gearworks Atlas Belt

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Volund Gearworks Atlas Belt

There aren't too many things to come along and spark me to want to start a thread over but this belt is one of the few. I spied them on Facebook through another friends company and was instantly drawn towards what I hoped would be my next belt. I have had belts made by all the people everyone is thinking about but they just don't work out for me like they do for others.

Stiffness: I wanted a stiff belt but found other belts to be too stiff. Some were perfect. This is pretty damned close. It can hold up a gun and some mags like many of the other great belts. What this doesn't do is cut into me like I felt others doing. I have sold off all my other cobra buckle type belts so I am unable to make a direct comparison but this feels a little better.

Ease of use: It wasn't until the cobra buckle belts came along that belts became a pain in the ass to use. This belt is easier to use but you lose the (in)convenience of the cobra buckle. That is a plus for me, I found them to be a major pain in the ass. The pals spacing on the non-buckle end can be a little tough to thread through some gear but nothing outrageous. There is also nothing to lose unlike the male buckle end on some cobra belts.

Noise: Not that it matters to everyone but I hated taking care of business and having a belt chatter the whole time. This is silent.

Quality: Seems very well made, much like all the other belts out there. There is no drop in quality when you buy from someone else as others would have you believe.

Overall: This belt has replaced my wilderness 5 stitch. I wore the two back and forth for a little over a month now carrying all kinds of crap and keep coming back to the Atlas belt. I think it is the belt I was looking for as I find the cobra buckle belts to be more work than needed. That is not to say the other belts suck, there are lots of well made belts out there. Bottom line is this belt should be added to any list of good belts.

I am not associated with Volund Gearworks.

To my knowledge their website is in progress and not quite ready. I found them through Facebook.
    Last edited by orionz06; 11-24-11 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My thoughts, impressions and experience mirror Orionz's. The Volund Atlas has replaced my Wilderness belt and is now my everyday carry belt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am still testing it totally but love the belt so far no issues and its alot easier than my big double thick leather used to be.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Interesting. I like the way it buckles. Do you mind telling what you paid for it?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Interesting. I like the way it buckles. Do you mind telling what you paid for it?
    Mine was 45 delivered I think I will double check when I get home

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by awm14hp View Post
    Mine was 45 delivered I think I will double check when I get home
    Not bad. Thanks.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Looks good.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Hmm, this couldnt of come up at a better time.

I have been talking to Jake at Ares for awhile about ordering his belt. I worry that it will be uncomfortable due to the stiffness. I also worry I will get annoyed with working around the cobra buckle, and that it SCREAMS "CCW" to those in the know. But, I want something more stiff than my Wilderness Instructors belt.

So, in comes this belt. My worries about the Atlas are that it isnt that much stiffer than a Wilderness Instructor belt, and that the velcro securing system will wear out.

I have also been trying to find a belt mfg that can make a belt in MCMAP Brown so I can wear it while deployed, but so far Ares cant do it and wilderness doesnt offer a brown either. I emailed Volund, I hope they can accomodate.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    so it still does the whole both ends overlap at the front of the belt thing and a thin outside strap is what attaches like the cobra buckle belts do ?

I found that set up, no matter how stiff, to give close to no support up front where I load most everything (AIWB, blade) unless I offset the buckle to the side.
    which is a PITA, and gives me no more functional difference than any other belt.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I keep meaning to order one of these to try, but keep forgetting.

I wear a Jones 1.5" EDC belt (1.5" Cobra buckle) daily and don't really understand the difficulty some people seem to have operating that system platform, but I think the Volund has some interesting aspects I'd like to try.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast