Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for skeet and hunting

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Shotgun for skeet and hunting

I want a buy once cry once shotgun for mostly skeet and Winter hunting of bird and occasional deer. Mostly skeet and bird. I will spend $1200-$1500 at most. Looking at Benelli Montefeltro, Beretta Extrema 2, Urika 2, Super Black Eagle 2 and what ever Browning etc you guys suggest.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use a Benneli M4 for turkey, skeet and deer/bear. I use H1 as my optic. Im sure you can find a M4 used for under $1200.

Feedback Score
    Browning, over under with screw in chokes.....Love mine.

Feedback Score
    Easy answer: Rem 870 wingmaster with 26in barrel, pick up a slug barrel. You can party all day with that, and have a pocket full of cash left.

If that doesn't suit you, next suggestion would be a 24-26inch Benelli m2, maybe consider getting a 10/22 sight installed on the rib...
    "I can’t remember a mile in my life that was even mildly amusing"

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Benelli M4 is a tactical gun. Not a good clays/bird gun. Lack of longer barrels and chokes is a problem. Some clubs won't let you shoot with a short barrel anyways. 26" is kind of a standard minimum with 28-30" being the most common.

Pump guns put you at a distinct disadvantage for skeet/clays. You want semi-auto or over-under.

Beretta or Benelli semi-auto if really the way to go if you've got the coin.

Remington 11-87 if you want to save some cash.

Decent O/Us are a lot of money but cheaper ones can be had in the same ball park as a really good semi.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I got to hold a Winchester Super X3 and it felt great. Thoughts?
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Without a doubt 870, I have multiple barrels:

1. 28" for trap|skeet and bird hunting

2. Turkey Barrel

3. Rifled Barrel barrel with cantilever for deer, hogs

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've not shot the Winchester but I've heard very good things. They did a record breaking shoot in Argentina recently.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I got to hold a Winchester Super X3 and it felt great. Thoughts?
    I am currently using a 26" SX3 for 3 gun. However, as part of the break-in, I took it out for skeet (used to be a high volume skeet/sporting shooter). I ran 24 of 25 on my first round with it. Nothing wrong with the SX3 as a general-purpose clays/field gun. A 28" barrel is a nice compromise for both.

In full disclosure, I have had two failures to eject with my super-light 1 oz clays reloads, but it has cycled everything factory - shells from 1 oz target loads up through heavy 00 Buck. The MOD choke in my will put slugs about 6" left at 100 yards but it's repeatable.

I have a whole lot of experience with the Beretta 390/391 shotguns in competition settings, and have spent some time hunting with the 390. Overall I think the old 390 is best gas-operated autoloader made, but I think the SX3 has it beat in versatility - you can't add a mag tube to a Beretta 39X.
    Last edited by 59Bassman; 01-01-12 at 05:12.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I love my Benelli Montefeltro Silver. I boguht it so I could just shoot sporting clays and skeet. It does very well for me. Probably close to 2k rounds and no a single problem, except one or two heavy primers which were not the gun's fault.
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast