ALG Defense's new ALG Combat Trigger (ACT)...
Hi guys, I wanted to share a brand new trigger option that I'm trying out. It's from ALG Defense which is a new company started by Amy Geissele, and they will be distributing defense products to local LEO and the U.S. Gov't. With the help of Bill Geissele, they have developed two new triggers one of which is featured in this thread...the ALG Combat Trigger (ACT). Both of these new triggers are enhanced mil-spec triggers. ALG Defense purchases semi finished castings from the same Tier 1 supplier that makes Colt’s triggers, and then they apply the now famous Geissele magic on the sears and include the much higher quality Geissele pins and springs.
The ACT trigger features:
Advantages for the shooter include....
• The ALG Defense ACT trigger pull is smoother and sharper than a stock trigger. This is accomplished by
polishing the sear surfaces smooth and HardLubing the trigger components.
• Sear geometry has not been changed from the standard profile so the high reliability that the stock trigger is known for is unchanged.
• Trigger and hammer are made from true 8620 alloy steel military specification castings, correctly carburized, quenched and tempered for high surface hardness.
• Disconnector is 1070 High Carbon steel properly Austempered into the spring range of hardness.
• Springs are corrosion resistant and meet military specifications.
• A full force hammer spring is used for positive ignition of all type of ammunition.
• Trigger and hammer pins are improved over stock mild steel by using 4140 Chrome-Moly steel that has been quenched and tempered. Pins are centerless ground to a fine finish and a diameter 0.001” larger than stock to reduce play in the trigger assembly while retaining a slip fit into the weapon lower receiver. Both pins are Nickel-Teflon coated.
• Pull weight is above the U.S. Military minimum pull weight of 5.5lbs but does not reach near the upper limit of 9.5lbs. Generally the pull is around 6lbs.
Advantages for the Armorer include....
• The ALG Defense ACT trigger is an enhanced standard trigger so maintenance and installation procedures
• Trigger assembly parts may be interchanged between triggers, there are no matched sets.
• As a trigger meeting the essential U.S. Military trigger specifications for the M4 Carbine, the ALG Defense
ACT can be substituted for lower performing stock triggers while still staying in compliance with Unit or Departmental requirements.
Notes about Hardlubing....
HardLubing is ALG's term for electroless Nickel plating with an integral modifier to the base nickel plate. Either Boron or Teflon is used to enhance surface hardness, wear resistance and corrosion resistance and also create favorable tribological properties of the trigger components.
Testing has shown that differential coating of the trigger parts contributes to the sharpness of the ACT's single stage pull. The trigger component is plated with Nickel-Boron which has a high surface hardness combined with excellent wear resistance. The color is a pleasing matte light grey that may be painted on non-functional
surfaces if the shooter so desires (such as the trigger bow that is visible outside the lower receiver). The hammer, disconnector and trigger/hammer pins are plated with Nickel-Teflon which combines a low coefficient of friction with good wear resistance. The Teflon impregnation colors the metal a mottled, greyish/green. Parts coated with Nickel-Teflon cannot be painted. Both coatings are highly corrosion resistant eliminating the oil seal of traditional phosphated firearm components.
The retail price for these will be $65
I just installed it this afternoon, so my personal thoughts are brief. I'm already certainly impressed with this trigger considering what it is by nature, and the price point it's set at.
Super simple installation with great directions.
It has easily the nicest pull I've ever felt on a mil spec g.i. type single stage trigger. The pull has an ever so small amount of creep, and then breaks extremely clean. Nice, and loud audible reset as well.
Some really nice touches on this trigger are for sure the hardlubing on the parts, the typical Geissele trigger pins, and lastly but not least the included slave pin that makes the installation process so much easier.
This trigger will be a huge seller!
Last edited by TRIDENT82; 01-22-12 at 04:01.
Sorry Trident, you were beat to the punch.
He's the first one to do more than just announce it.
Did i miss when these are being released?
On the upside, your title is a little more cut and dry. The other one is about "more choices..." or something. Sounds good though. For the price I may have to try one.
Jsop, I will see about finding out when these will be available, and which vendors will be carrying them.
It's also important to clarify what this trigger is most appropriate for. The following is a quote from Bill Geissele that best summarizes that ...."The ACT is not a match trigger. It is a "less bad" mil spec trigger....It's for guys who don't want to spend the scratch on uber triggers. Or for police who are not allowed to put other triggers in."
Here is a quick video showing the ACT trigger's pull/reset up close....
ALG Defense ACT trigger pull...
Last edited by TRIDENT82; 01-19-12 at 22:14.
I'm thinking this will be good option for those who want a decent trigger but can't swing the price tag on a one of the $100+ options. Or folks who want a decent trigger in some of their backup ARs.
good for people in departments that dont allow match triggers. I am interested in this too since its just a tuned milspec trigger. I wasnt really interested in the 2 stage stuff they had. I wanted plain jane single stage