Thread: Tavor bullpup slated for release this year in USA

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Is this tongue in cheek or are you being serious?
    Half and half I guess. A DPMS SASS can be acquired for under $1800 with bidpod included and with a few mods like a trigger adustment or a Gisselle SSA trigger and an adjustable Gas block and a nice scope mount the great majority of shooters wont be able to tell the difference in performance. I have shot prone, practically clover leaf groups (.5 to .75 inch) with a SASS at 100 yards with the right ammo. I highly doubt I would be able to do any better with a Larue OBR.

I know that the details of the Larue OBR, such as the machining , the monolithic rail, the finish options, the incomparable Larue warranty service, top notch factory mags.... plus the Larue OBR will out perform the DPMS SASS in the hands of a person who has the skills and training to exploit the advantges ( I am sadly not one of these people). I also have no doubt that the Larue will prove more durable and reliable in extreme situations. So to sum it up I know that the DPMS SASS with about $500 in mods will never equal the quality of the OBR.. but I would never really feel the difference, certainly not enough to justify about $1k extra. Again this is personally speaking, I am in no way disparaging the people who have purchased a weapon like the Larue OBR, it is undoubtedly a superior crafted,performing and beautiful weapon ( I wish I could bring myself to buy one).

As far as the Tavor being developed in part with U.S taxpayer funds..The Israeli Weapons Industries was part of Israeli Military Industries which was funded in part by the 3 billion dollars a year the U.S government gives the state of Israel every year for the past like 30 years. IWI did not become a private company until 2005 and the Tavor has been a complete weapon long before that.

I know that the 3 billion a year is not directly spent on research and development but its logical to conclude that 3 billion in aid coming in frees up the same amount for other purposes. So in conclusion, yes I do believe that U.S taxpayer funds were used directly or indirectly to fund the development of the Tavor line.

Do I believe that we as Americans will get a discount because of it? No I do not , that was tongue in cheek.

(if the Tavor is under 1800 dollars, I will buy one... if only to mount this damned IWI M.A.R.S optic I bought on a whim for $400 bucks)
    Last edited by signkutter; 09-30-12 at 11:14.