Quote Originally Posted by w squared View Post
Agreed.

Here is where I disagree with you. I own low power variable scopes on rifles that have conventional scope mounting, as well as one rifle with a low power variable scout scope. I find that the larger eyebox and scope position of the scout scope gets me on target faster in close, and doesn't hamper long range use at all. I will happily concede that scout scopes don't offer BDC reticles - but since the whole purpose of the scout rifle is to make quick hits out to 300 yards, I don't think that BDC reticles offer any benefit for this application that cannot be surpassed by effective training. With a .308, a 200 yard zero, and a 5 power scout scope you should have no issues with holdovers at 300 yards....as long as we're talking about "minute of mammal" accuracy and not a sniper competition.
For me a conventional scope was faster than the scout scope for the most part, but that was using a fixed 2.5X scout scope. Having the option to suit your needs of course is great, and a user might have both like I did. I just found myself rarely using the scout scope. On the BDC in a scout scope, well no one offers one but that doesn't mean it is not possible to have one made. Leupold would probably make you a custom reticle if you wanted with hold over and wind holds. That might even be a really nifty little scope.