Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Single stack 9mm's - CCW only?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    I keep hearing about stuff like that cop that shot that one guy 17 times, before he died, and I remember why I don't carry a single stack.

Getting attacked by somebody on drugs complicates things.
    This entered my mind some time ago and switched me from a single stack to double stack. The odds of someone attacking you being on drugs or with psychological disorders mimicking the effects thereof seems more likely than not these days. My inlaws are in the Philly area, specifically Upper Darby a few blocks from 69th Street. That place gives me PLENTY of reasons to be armed and aware every time I go there and I have for 8 years now.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 12-23-12 at 00:03.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    This entered my mind some time ago and switched me from a single stack to double stack. The odds of someone attacking you being on drugs or with psychological disorders mimicking the effects thereof seems more likely than not these days. My inlaws are in the Philly area, specifically Upper Darby a few blocks from 69th Street. That place gives me PLENTY of reasons to be armed and aware every time I go there and I have for 8 years now.
    I'm really hoping that I'm just saying what everybody thinks, because when I praise higher than normal capacity 9x19mm pistols other people I know who carry single stack pocket pistols, or 1911s always seem to have excuses as to why they're not valid concerns.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score

Wink

It is a good point and even without drugs, the possibility of needing a few rounds on a bg is very high. People who really don't want to go to prison or to die can turn into the Hulk.

Nobody is going to be the same as they are in a training environment and bg's can sometimes soak up seemingly textbook hits regardless.

A lot of people seen stuff like this in OIF and other places where it is more activity than an OIS two or three times a year.

Last I heard most hp rounds are better than the 80's and 90's tech but still don't expand as often in bodies as they do gel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While a police shooting may typically be under different circumstances than a civilian's shooting, it doesn't mean that a CWP holder's encounter may not be just as ugly or even uglier than what is typical for the police.
    Watching the YouTube videos that come up involving police, store owners, etc., always makes me want to go hi-cap.

I would hate to be at slide-lock when the guy(s) that I am shooting at are just halfway through their magazine. Especially if they know how to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    I am in the process of switching from a P2000SK 9mm to a P30 9mm as my every day carry piece due to the P30 making more sense in terms of size, weight, and firepower.

That being said, I am also on a waiting list for a 9mm M&P Shield. The Shield, to me, is about as small as I would ever want to go again for a carry piece and even so, that is only in situations where I could not carry my P30.

I am absolutely guilty of, in the past, training an competing with fancy full sized guns but then carrying smaller guns that really were less than ideal for personnel defense. I think it was me as a shooter just maturing and getting more educated.
    I am buying a p2000 sk to compliment my p30l for the times when it is hard to conceal the p30 based on clothing. I have heard the p30 mags work in the p2000, so 10+1 on board, with a 15rd reload?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Some individuals needing more rounds to stop their aggressive actions due to drugs, mental instability, and/or adrenaline.

In addition to this, you can't assume that the suspect will be alone.

I've noticed a trend over the last few years in that robberies in my city tend to involve more than one suspect (usually 2-3). If one has a gun, they all tend to have a gun.

The needs of an off-duty officer and that of a citizen with a CCW permit aren't all that different. I've been an inter-city LEO for over 20 years. I don't go running around arresting people off-duty. I carry my gun to protect myself and others from violent felons. A CCW holder carries his gun to protect himself and others form violent felons.

I've owned a Shield in 9mm since about a week after they were announced. Great gun. I use it for my BUG when at work. The thing disappears in a vest holster.

But I prefer more capacity when off-duty. As small as I go is the M&P9c with 12+1. A spare magazine is a given.

My wife is small with very small hands. She really likes the feel of the Shield. She likes the M&P9c with the smallest grip insert, but it's a bit to chunky for her to carry. For her, I'd much rather see her carrying a single stack Shield than having a larger gun that she doesn't actually have on her person.

The first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun. The glove box of your car is not a holster.

I'm larger than her, and can conceal a M&P9 (Issued duty gun) or a Glock 19 all day long and all year long.

A good belt and a proper holster goes a long way to expand your options.

After reading these types of topics, my question would be, if you have the ability to conceal and carry a larger capacity gun, why wouldn't you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Some individuals needing more rounds to stop their aggressive actions due to drugs, mental instability, and/or adrenaline.

In addition to this, you can't assume that the suspect will be alone.

I've noticed a trend over the last few years in that robberies in my city tend to involve more than one suspect (usually 2-3). If one has a gun, they all tend to have a gun.

...my question would be, if you have the ability to conceal and carry a larger capacity gun, why wouldn't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogsgunwild View Post
    I would hate to be at slide-lock when the guy(s) that I am shooting at are just halfway through their magazine.
    These points are what pistol selection/mag capacity for CCW and self defense is all about.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used a pair of Sig P220's in 45 ACP for years. Then came 2009, and ammo was not only scarce, but prices were through the roof.

Being very comfortable with Sig's DA/SA trigger, and never feeling undergunned with only 8 rds, I began to search and buy when the price was right, slightly used 1990's vintage All German Made Commercial Sig P225's in 9mm.

The P225 were never made or assembled in Exeter, NH being only made in Germany, so they are NOT the gun a month bling junk currently being peddled as Sigs

Fast forward to today, I'm running 2 Sig P225's, and the pair of P220 are gone. The P225's are very easy to carry concealed, and easy to shoot as I get older, and much cheaper to feed. Magazines are cheap as well with thousands of Western German Police P6 mags flooding the market (P6 is the Police version of the P225) and most were running in the $30 range or less.

And I don't think I paid more than $500. for any of my P225's, and the guns and mags will be immune from any future gun ban craziness.

Last edited by BobinNC; 01-03-13 at 02:08.

Feedback Score
    I feel very comfortable carrying my beretta nano, I shoot it as much as my other beretta's. But at home my 92A1 makes me feel all yippy kyaeee Mofo.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My majn off duty is a kahr cm with 7 rounders, bit if clothes allow i like the fullsize pistol, but thats just me. It is all about personal preference and role for the occassion.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast