Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: To MOE or not to MOE

Feedback Score

Re: To MOE or not to MOE

Go MOE and get a Geiselle trigger with the savings. You will be happy.

I have MOE on one AR and a troy ff rail on another. You can mount a light on an moe.

Trigger is worth the money...it actually influences shooting. The rail will protect tube/barrel and your hand.
    "Seriously?" -SWATcop556

"I don't think so" - Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    The MOE's are tough, economical, and functional. Unless you require a free float for accuracy or mounting a dbal/peq unit, the MOE works just as well.
    I use an MOE on my duty carbine.

I bet i can outshoot most of the people with free float handguards.

If you're gonna blow $200, get a damn Geissele SSA. That will add more function to the gun and have a bigger effect on accuracy under 100 yards.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    ^The best advice this thread has to offer. Unless you need to mounted sighting equipment up front (BUIS, PEQ, BDAL, etc...) there is no need for a rigidly mounted free float rail on a 6920.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=WhiskyNiner;1531890]I got both.

It's my first AR, so what did I know? The MOE that came with it felt ok, was light, and looks ok to me. But it couldn't sprout nearly as much stuff as a rail.

I got a rail for way less than $200 on a trip to Cabelas. I haven't put anything on it but a front sight and a handle, but am going to get a light on it soon-ish. I know now that I really don't need most of what can go on a rail.

How is that handle working out for you?
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Accuracy is not the only reason to mount a longer free float rail. Many instructors teach students to get their support grip as far down the barrel as possible. Carbine length handguards make me feel like I'm folded up on myself.

That said, I have a MOE on my main rifle and it works fine. But I will be replacing it with an NSR or something similar in the future for ergonomic purposes.
    This isn't an illegal gun, it's an "undocumented protection device". Don't be so insensitive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    How is that handle working out for you?
    I like it. I've taken to placing my hand right in front of it with the heel using it as a backstop. It feels better, but I have to think about it when I place my hand there.

It's similar to the "thumb across the top of the rail" thing, but more comfortable to me. I've tried that hand-on-top thing but I don't see what all the hoopla is about. It doesn't do anything for me.

I'd like to take a rifle class this year if ammo costs every come back down. No telling what I'd have as a setup after one of those...
    Last edited by WhiskyNiner; 02-02-13 at 14:07.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rackham1 View Post
    MOE - 30
    Surefire G2X - 65
    IWC SMC light mount - 65
    IWC QD socket - 25
    VCAS sling (w/ QD) - 65

Total = 250 < the example rail you mentioned

This is very close to my main AR's config and it meets all my HD, ranch gun, range needs. Can't imagine it not doing the same for you.
    Well said. People often forget that when they spend 200+ on a rail, you will then want some kind of rail cover to protect the unused rail (even those some like uncovered rails), a light mount, sling mount (for some rails), sling etc. Pretty soon price starts adding way up, especially if a good light is going to be used etc.

NTM, if using a longer rail, and not using a rail with a FSB opening, you will end up shaving or replacing the block, and thus then using a front sight, which is again, and additional cost.

Really goes either way though, so I can't talk as I have both a monolithic upper on one rifle, and then some MOE mid lengths on another.
    Last edited by discreet; 02-02-13 at 15:42.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    That rail I got at Cabelas was a 7" by Troy, and has the QD points on it. The handle was a CAA, also got it at Cabelas. The sights are Magpul.

I don't dislike the MOE, but it feels to me like small tool bag. It's good if you only want a couple of things, but not if you (may) want more than a couple of things. I like the possibilites and room to grow of the rail. I like the mechanicalness of the rail. It's heavier than the MOE, but I'll put that on the wife's gun.

It's a learning experience that I've only been experiencing for six months, so I have a lot of things to go through. As with anything, the learning curve will have dollar sign mile markers along the way.

Shoot. Enjoy. Talk about it.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score

Re: To MOE or not to MOE

Hope you enjoy it. Not free float which is what I thought u wanted.
    "Seriously?" -SWATcop556

"I don't think so" - Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I really like moe for what they are. I really like the tube on my DD m4v7...but other then being able to get my hand out there, it does little for me beause they only thing I mount up to my guns is a light.

I have owned rifles with moe handguard and really liked them over the stock ones. When I get my next upper it will probably have moe handgaurds.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at purchasing a MOE...I recently lost my other AR's in a boating accident and I am currently going for a lightweight AR build. I was able to get a lower (spikes) and upper receiver for less than 300, I have everything else, so why not. I like the MOE because it has mounting options...If I even choose to ever use the option, its there.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast