Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Home defense concepts and equipment

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Ouch!

I'm pretty sure that would take my wifes Maltese a few days of study work at least.On the other hand...My Husky(i would call a medium sized breed) crushes the bones of small varmints like a bag of chips(NTM the much longer K9's).

...I'd let the little shits gnaw for awhile if given the choice.
    Last edited by Jerm; 06-28-09 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    This is a great thread with a lot of good ideas shared.

Does the castle doctrine, or lack of, play a role in how any of you would respond? I live in a state which wants someone to initiate the imminent threat to my life or serious bodily harm before I address them with the same... IN MY OWN HOME.

Because of that I lean towards the barricade or position of advantage and hold approach. My car is parked out front and if they're coming into my bedroom, or even the hallway leading towards the bedrooms, then they aren't here for the 50" television in my living room and using deadly force is or should be articuable.

That said, these situations are going to be dynamic, and no plan survives first contact so have contingencies. If you take the fight to them use the basic principle of suprise speed and violence of action. Basically: Hit them fast and hit them hard.

Odds are the burglar wanting to make a quick $ will turn tail and run when addressed, will you shoot him...can you shoot him? If he complies with your "Get the F on the ground" directives, have you thought about what you'll do then. If he wants to bring the fight, that's easy.

Another thing to consider; where there is one there is two. It's a basic principal that essentially says that if one bad guy is in your house, there's probably a second (maybe even a third,fourth, etc)..either inside our standing watch outside. Stay sharp until the boys in blue arrive.

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned is using lighting to your advantage. I wish I had a fancy system as another poster who said he has the remote ability to turn on lights...that is highspeed. If you can create an environment that keeps you in the dark but backlights the badguys then you're one up. An example would be night lights in the living room type areas but long dark hallways leading to the bedroom. I read a great paper on this a few years back, I think by Frank Borelli... I'll try and find it.

Some things worth mentiong. I work in law enforcement and the vast majority of burglaries, I mean overwhelmingly, involve either open windows, unlocked doors or door breaching. I can remember ONE burglary that involed the bad guy breaking out a window to make entry. So... lock your doors and windows at night. If you can add some fortification to your door (metal door jams etc) a failed breach attempt is going to afford you some time and might even deter the badguy(s).

And as someone else mentioned. The armed takeover style home invasion robberies generally don't involve citizen good. The "victims" are usually involved in criminal activity themselves, mostly grow operations etc. That of course doesn't mean don't be ready for one because we're all prone to error and when the druggy brings his friends to steal your neighbors weed grow but hits your house instead.. it's go time.
    Last edited by Cascades236; 07-07-09 at 16:46.

Feedback Score
    My 2 cents.

I've got little kids and their rooms are on the other side of the house. If there's a problem, I've got to go towards my two little ones and my wife can "hold the beach" in our bedroom. When you have kids, you need a plan, but you'll find a way to get there. Nothings spurs more aggression in me than thoughts of bad people near my kids. We have two pistols in the bedside safe.

Dogs make noise...whether they bite or not, they buy time and make the house less desirable to criminals from all the racket.

From the real world bites I've seen, little dogs "nip" hands and legs. Big dogs bite the Sh*% out of people. Punctures and massive tears occur. Tendons, muscles and flesh easily gone or dangling in seconds.

My favorite quote from people who were bitten is "He/she is really a very good dog." I always ask what kind of dog....90% pit bull easy.

TR

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutrunner View Post
    My 2 cents.

I've got little kids and their rooms are on the other side of the house. If there's a problem, I've got to go towards my two little ones and my wife can "hold the beach" in our bedroom. When you have kids, you need a plan, but you'll find a way to get there. Nothings spurs more aggression in me than thoughts of bad people near my kids. We have two pistols in the bedside safe.

Dogs make noise...whether they bite or not, they buy time and make the house less desirable to criminals from all the racket.

TR
    AMEN to all that! I don't want to clear my house, and I don't want to enter a room with a bad guy in it...BUT if he's in one of my kid's rooms? Oh man, at that point I AM going into that room, period!
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutrunner View Post
    My 2 cents.

I've got little kids and their rooms are on the other side of the house. If there's a problem, I've got to go towards my two little ones and my wife can "hold the beach" in our bedroom.
    My wife and I's plan had been something similar till we took a home defense class put on by the folks at Tiger Valley.

One of the points that was stressed repeatedly and that we have incorporated is don't go running off playing Lone Ranger. Work with your wife as a team, cause your eyes can't be everywhere.

We've now reworked our idea to the point where we clear a hallway, bathroom, and the kids rooms together, she covers the likely threat avenues and covers my backside while I am clearing bedrooms and scooping up the kids.

We then retreat back down the hallway and bunker up in safe and secure positions. If the bad guys enter my hallway, they are there to commit harm to my wife and kids. At that point, they will cease being a threat to my family one way or the other.

Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    I go to a local college so, i still reap the benefits of living at home... stocked pantry, freezer full of red meat, chicken breast, and fish (every athletes dream), a nice place to live, my own bathroom, they let me come and go as i please, i couldnt ask for anything more.

My dad was a police officer for many years, and we've decided that if there is an intruder in the house, were going to meet him force on force, fast and hard.

with out getting into detail, our house is set up so that anybody comming in from any of the doors, is at a severe disadvantage. we have large open rooms with short hallways. we never realized this until we started going over our home defense plan, but, essentially, our house would be a nightmare to break into.

So essentially, if you open one door in any given room, both downstairs or up stairs, you can see most of that floor. As a result, there arent a lot of blind spots that cant be covered.

I live up stairs with my two sisters, and my dad lives down stairs. What ever he cant see from his bedroom, i can see from either the base of the stairs or the top of the stairs. So essentially, if you come in the front door/try and make it up the stairs, ill shoot you, if you come in the side door or a side window, my old man will shoot you. if you come in the back door/window, well now your really fcked cause we can both see that part of the house.

By Simply going down the base of the stairs, i can not only stop an intruder from making it up the stairs to my siblings, but i can also controll 2/3 of the bottom floor, all from one point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleBreak View Post
    As far as having your own weapons used against you, I have this to add:

Leave a twelve gauge shotgun and ten gauge shells lying in a place with other high value items like computers or jewelry. The burglar will see the shotgun and take it regardless of whether or not he himself is armed. He will try to load it. However, they won't fit, and he'll keep trying to load it, buying you precious time to find him and apprehend him. I mean, if he's going to be armed, I'd rather he be armed with my weapon that he cannot load.
    Extremely bad idea. You've made the scenario much more likely to be lethal, and you will lose in court when they ask you why you left unsecured weapons and ammo that could be used against you around your home, thereby increasing the likelihood you'd have to use deadly force to defend yourself. Or, they don't try to load the weapon, but grab a few things and bug out. You're now out a shotgun, maybe ammo, and you've given a bad guy a weapon to find ammo for when he finds out yours doesn't work.

Bad freakin' idea.

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 07-16-09 at 20:09.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Extremely bad idea. You've made the scenario much more likely to be lethal, and you will lose in court when they ask you why you left unsecured weapons and ammo that could be used against you around your home, thereby increasing the likelihood you'd have to use deadly force to defend yourself. Or, they don't try to load the weapon, but grab a few things and bug out. You're now out a shotgun, maybe ammo, and you've given a bad guy a weapon to find ammo for when he finds out yours doesn't work.

Bad freakin' idea.

-B
    I don't agree.

It's his house, he is free to leave his firearms where he wants. If a bad guy wants to break into his house and arm himself with those weapons, it's a bad day for him...should have stayed home instead of commiting felonies.

I do however agree with it being bad in regards to giving bad guy a free shotgun should he come and go unscathed.
    Last edited by Cascades236; 07-18-09 at 00:20.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I live out in the country and police needs an average of one hour to respond around here. I have 3 German Shepherds around the house in Kennels - 1 to the left side of the House and 2 behind the house. My Doberman is running the place as he doesn't go after the horses or cats (he does like to kill the annoying possums tho...).
    In the house I have a black lab mix that tries to go thru the window if somebody enters the property. There is also a pit bull in the house next to the main entrance in a cage during night. I know he would go completely nuts and tear his cage down if somebody enters the house.
    All this gives me plenty of warning and I know by the way the dogs bark if it is a serious situation (somebody on my property trespassing) or not.
    We have a pistol on each bedside and a shotgun in the bedroom. If the dogs go completely nuts I will go to the window and see what's going on and then go outside to check it out, most of the time armed with the 12 Gauge. I know I shouldn't but I love my dogs and will protect them, they will do the same for me. I need to get used to leave the house thru the back door as it will give me an advantage at night.
    IF I would see 2 or more BG's in my front yard thru the window I would grab as many mags and ammo as I can and wait for them in the kitchen (as I can view both doors from there) and deal with the threats there.
    My dogs will tell me a lot about potential positions of the BG's by the way they bark, where they look at & which window they try to get thru.
    Sometimes when I forget to let the Doby out at night and something is going on I open the front door a bit to let the pit bull out. Anybody trespassing WILL RUN when they hear him come. I can't imagine a more frightening noise at night as him stomping the ground while he runs after something and growling at the same time. Even if they don't run it's enough of a diversion where I can gain advantage over them.
    As you can tell I rely a lot on my dogs to keep my property safe and to help me in the situation of a Home Invasion. People have done so for centuries. I do need to invest in a surveillance system so I can see from the inside of the house what's going on outside.

Feedback Score

home defense

I live in a tri- level house, and have decided withe my wife that we will defend the upper level of the house. this is where the kids are. I can replace a TV, I can't replace one of them. in order for any one to get at us they have to come up
    stairs this is one of those fatal funnel situations and can be defended easily enough
    until the police arrive.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast