Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dented case shoulders

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aklaunch View Post
    Hi PS,

Have you used the Lyman product in the past with good results?

My first sizing die was a SB RCBS too.

That was my first reloading mistake as well....

I suppose the Sizing die was good but.... The bullet seating die did not really like these fancy new high BC bullets. Seems it would be a fine bullet seater with some flat nose hunting bullets?

The Forster dies i use have the little pressure vent hole that needs to be adjusted at the lower 1/3 of the ball. I can't remember exactly how the RCBS systems works?

If you are shooting bullets from a 5.56 chamber maybe you could consider a FL die of better quality.
    What bullets did you have issues seating with your RCBS dies? I've seated several different styles of bullets and never had any issues.

Of course he's going to need a full length resizing die at the least. He mentioned in the OP he's loading for an AR.

OP:

I use Lee resizing lube diluted around one tube to 32oz 91%+ rubbing alcohol in a cheap spray bottle. I like the Lee because it dries unlike the gooey lanolin lube. I haven't had any stuck or deformed cases. The small base dies are fine. You will only see a marginal decrease in brass life. You'll probably​ wear out your primer pockets before the necks split or anything.

I use anywhere from a .005-.008" arbor shim between my shell holder and die base to prevent excessive shoulder bump. You can also buy Redding competition shell holders to reduce headspace bump.
    Last edited by Waylander; 04-18-17 at 19:45.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For God's sake. Get Dillon's Case Lube and never look back. I've never hydrolic'd a shoulder in who knows how many hundreds of thousands of rounds of .223
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    i have been using imperial case sizing wax with perfect results. I know i am probably using too much, but i have never even seen a dented shoulder on my 223 cases. This is with the lee sizing die. I have never tried anything else, but I'm not sure i would need to.
    I always wanted to take two shotguns and mount one on either side of a Rottweiler...I will call the breed a Shottweiler

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Buy Dillon case lube... by the case. Problem solved. Each bottle seems to last me about 12-15 gallons of brass. I load by the 5 gallon bucket and never have issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As bigedp51 alluded, keep liquid lube off the shoulder and neck of the case. Case lube will hydraulically cause dents that often will not disappear while shooting. I saw a lot of dented brass when I first started sizing brass with a generous amount of lube on the case neck and shoulder. I use Hornady Unique on the case body and dry lube on the neck. I make double sure the case shoulders are dry before pressing brass into the sizing die.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I've recently begun using homemade lanolin/isopropyl alcohol lube based on advice from this forum and cannot speak highly enough about it. Try and find 99% alcohol solution, though, as it contains less water than 91% and will make for a better product. Farm supply/feed stores should carry it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Buy Dillon case lube... by the case. Problem solved. Each bottle seems to last me about 12-15 gallons of brass. I load by the 5 gallon bucket and never have issues.
    End of story. Why people tolerate other nonsense is insane. I used to have a 3 gallon bucket that I'd just mist periodically as I worked my way down and the lube would trickle down as I'd go.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    End of story. Why people tolerate other nonsense is insane. I used to have a 3 gallon bucket that I'd just mist periodically as I worked my way down and the lube would trickle down as I'd go.
    Dillon case lube MSDS
    Isopropyl Alcohol 95%
    Surfactant 5% (rumored to be lanolin but might be whale snot, my home made lube contains lanolin which is nothing more than sheep sweat)
    Last edited by bigedp51; 04-19-17 at 00:45.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Unless you are using some blown out MG brass, or have a tight chamber, or are getting a lot of spring back, you probably don't need the small base die.
    Keep the lube off of the case shoulder if possible.
    Use the Imperial sizing wax if lubing small batches by hand, or go with the Dillon spray if doing large batches.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    Use the Imperial sizing wax if lubing small batches by hand, or go with the Dillon spray if doing large batches.
    I have the Imperial too for a special die. But even for small batches, I have dedicated plastic trays that are permanently gooey from lube. I just spray small batches in the corner of the plastic tray.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast