Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Pmag causing FTE?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback, Brickboy. I think I remember that 1 in 2000 stovepipe I had was with Blazer Al, using factory mags. I'll do some more testing with the Pmag and quality ammunition to see how the 17 and 19 perform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    I received my second Magpul Glock Pmag today and decided to run some Blazer Aluminum through it to see what it would do in my Gen 3 Glock 19. It ran flawlessly using both of my Pmags for the 100 rounds I had. Not sure why it ran so well. I didn't clean the handgun or do anything to it. I also ran 50 rounds of Wolf steel case ammo also and that ran fine with those mags. More testing to ensue. So, no news is good news here.

Feedback Score
    I did more shooting with Magpul mags using Blazer Aluminum and had lots of failures to extract with this combination this time.

I was able to further diagnose and speculate on what is actually occurring. As the slide comes to the rear after being fired, the slide extracts the empty casing but the rim of the empty casing is impacting the leading edge of the top round's casing while in the magazine. The impact is significant enough on some shots that the extractor claw loses grip of the casing and leaves it partially extracted.

Speculation as to why: It appears that the rear rim edge of the Al casing is beveled much less than the brass or steel cases allowing it to catch the next round in the magazine much more easily. Here is a picture. The aluminum is the aluminum colored one and the brass...well, you can figure it out

Feedback Score
    Wow...good catch!

I bet that is the culprit.

From what I remember...I never had any issues running alloy cased 115gr Blazers through my 9mm Glocks (2nd gen G17 and 3rd gen G19) just the SIG 228 and Hi-Power. To this day, my Glock 9mms still pretty much eat whatever I throw in them.

I hope the Magpul mags for Glocks work out. I want to buy a few and try them out myself but I have not seen them locally.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Over the years several manufacturers have attempted to clone Glock mags. None have been truly successful. Stick with Glock mags....
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Im confused...are the glock 19 pmags even out? or are you using a 17 mag in a 19?
    Last edited by b2dap1; 09-14-15 at 17:37. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b2dap1 View Post
    Im confused...are the glock 19 pmags even out? or are you using a 17 mag in a 19?
    I'm using Magpul 17 mags in my 19 and 17 Glocks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks..

Feedback Score
    hi lincoln, how old are your glocks? purchased new/used? if you have the test fire date that is easiest way. no matter what anyone says, glocks have just NOT got it all figured out since replacing all their tooling and molds. there are many factors together here. 1. they have gone to all mim parts instead of using real steel/bar stock like they should be using. HELLO! ILL PAY THE EXTRA $ 100, SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A TOOL STEEL FIRING PIN AND LOCKING BLOCK! (we already have apex to thank for extractor).

anyways, the main issue is many slides were not within spec. some will have nice and tight extractors that really grip tight.. lol! others, regardless of what extractor you put in there, will be loose and barely hold on.. to the case.

easy thing to try is switch to a non loaded chamber indicator spring loaded bearing. this piece is a little bigger than the one that shipped with your glocks (assuming they have loaded chamber indicator to begin with).

it will add more tension on the extractor and should give you the desired results. its like kegels for your glock! lololol

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/114...ndicator-black

ps if you buy this part, watch out for failure to feed. if you have too much extractor tension, it will not be able to override the case rim when going into battery/slide closing. youll be shooting ok and then a dead trigger. push the slide forward a MM into full battery/lock and-- thats your sign!

ask me how i know all this, i have some slides that are already teenager tight and others that should be thrown out!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    I did more shooting with Magpul mags using Blazer Aluminum and had lots of failures to extract with this combination this time.

I was able to further diagnose and speculate on what is actually occurring. As the slide comes to the rear after being fired, the slide extracts the empty casing but the rim of the empty casing is impacting the leading edge of the top round's casing while in the magazine. The impact is significant enough on some shots that the extractor claw loses grip of the casing and leaves it partially extracted.

Speculation as to why: It appears that the rear rim edge of the Al casing is beveled much less than the brass or steel cases allowing it to catch the next round in the magazine much more easily. Here is a picture. The aluminum is the aluminum colored one and the brass...well, you can figure it out
    [/IMG][/URL]
    I've seen the same thing happen with Glock mags with aftermarket springs (stronger Wolff). I don't think it's a Glock PMag specific issue.

If it's not too much trouble, please try the following and let me know what happens:

With a mag fully loaded (and inserted in the gun), and a live round in the chamber, hand cycle the slide to get all the rounds out one by one.

At some point, does the slide refuse to go rearward (without forcing it of course)? If so, notice where the slide stops moving rearward freely. That's probably where the rear (rim) of the case of the round coming out of the chamber hits the front of the case of the top round in the mag. The slide is not rearward enough to throw the round out. So the slide will just stop.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast