Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Home defense concepts and equipment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    VERY good points.

My wife needs to read Iraqgunz's experience as she is all too forthcoming on opening up the front door whenever someone rings or knocks on it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    If you have glass at the side of the door get it covered in security film so they can't just reach in and open the door after breaking the glass.
    Lots of good info but I really liked this part and did some research. Looks like these guys are pretty shit hot, http://www.acesecuritylaminates.com/index.htm, after watching a few comparison videos to 3M. Google: window security film and check out the videos.

Also the box strike, as was previously mentioned, is a great idea along with a high security deadbolt. Regular do it yourself home improvement store deadbolts are easily defeated through picking, kicking and bump keys (Google it). After quite a bit of reading these guys seem to be at or near the top of the list http://www.medeco.com/.

The laminate, box strike and high security deadbolt will be the first additions to the new house before moving in in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed. Along with that I'll be getting an alarm system installed. ADT installed our current one for free along with a contract but I'm wondering if there are better options out there? Anybody have any advice or would it be better to start a new thread on electronic house security options?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Cunningham View Post
    I think it's a bit more simple (and more secure) to keep a gun *on you* as much as practically possible vs. stashing loaded guns all over the house.
    What we are currently doing - got tired of putting several guns back in the safe in the AM and taking them out of the safe when we got home.

CCW M&P9 is also the night stand home defense weapon.

Feedback Score
    I keep a Springfield 1911 ready to go, saftey on next to bed as well as a S&W MP15 with light full PMAG also ready to go, and my roomates have a SKS and PPK in case things get real hairy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My family lives in a two story house and everyone sleeps on the second story. If an intruder broke in, we could probably seal off the stairs and call for the police. I usually keep a glock 9mm and a shotgun ready with a surefire G2 on the shelf nearby.
    ...A country boy can survive...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutrunner View Post
    Dogs make noise...whether they bite or not, they buy time and make the house less desirable to criminals from all the racket.

From the real world bites I've seen, little dogs "nip" hands and legs. Big dogs bite the Sh*% out of people. Punctures and massive tears occur. Tendons, muscles and flesh easily gone or dangling in seconds.

My favorite quote from people who were bitten is "He/she is really a very good dog." I always ask what kind of dog....90% pit bull easy.

TR
    I was with you until the last sentence. Dogs are like people, they usually act in accordance with their raising. I know there are exceptions but I have found, and reasearch shows, that this is usually the case. The American Temperment Test Society found that pit bulls usually rank higher (being better) on their temperment tests than German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers and Doberman Pinschers. (http://www.atts.org/stats1.html)

Personally, I have an American Pit Bull Terrier that is and always has been a great dog. She loves kids and people she is familiar with in general but will not let a stranger close to the house.

Anyway, the whole reason for my post was to say that many criminals will admit that they usually stay away from homes that have dogs, specifically homes with more than one dog. Regardless of the breed someone chooses, I recommend they get more than one.
    Last edited by longball; 10-09-10 at 22:15.
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I'm new here but I have a few things I'd like to share. While I won't divulge all of my protocols for home security I will share a few key points.

I keep a USPC 9mm, E2D LED, and cell phone right next to the bed with a 870P next to my bedroom door. I can get to the pistol in seconds and within three steps to the shotgun. At the first sign of noise/trouble my girlfriend calls 911 while I get to my guns. I take a position at the top of the steps and wait for help.

In order to better hear an attack coming, at all major entry points I have a baby monitor stationed very close by. One by the front door, sliding glass door and garage door leading into the house. They are very effective for picking up the slightest sound and give me a chance to here what's going on. I color coded the antennas of the receivers so I know exactly where the noise is coming from.

I have a front door key on a glow in the dark key chain that I can throw out of the window and direct the police to, to enter my home if need be.

I also keep a two way radio with extra batteries in the night stand in case the cell/land line doesn't work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlobb View Post
    I'm new here but I have a few things I'd like to share. While I won't divulge all of my protocols for home security I will share a few key points.

I keep a USPC 9mm, E2D LED, and cell phone right next to the bed with a 870P next to my bedroom door. I can get to the pistol in seconds and within three steps to the shotgun. At the first sign of noise/trouble my girlfriend calls 911 while I get to my guns. I take a position at the top of the steps and wait for help.

In order to better hear an attack coming, at all major entry points I have a baby monitor stationed very close by. One by the front door, sliding glass door and garage door leading into the house. They are very effective for picking up the slightest sound and give me a chance to here what's going on. I color coded the antennas of the receivers so I know exactly where the noise is coming from.

I have a front door key on a glow in the dark key chain that I can throw out of the window and direct the police to, to enter my home if need be.

I also keep a two way radio with extra batteries in the night stand in case the cell/land line doesn't work.
    Thats funny about the baby monitor's...I kinda do the same thing. My monitor is pretty sensitive so I have one on each level.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Lots of good info but I really liked this part and did some research. Looks like these guys are pretty shit hot, http://www.acesecuritylaminates.com/index.htm, after watching a few comparison videos to 3M. Google: window security film and check out the videos.

Also the box strike, as was previously mentioned, is a great idea along with a high security deadbolt. Regular do it yourself home improvement store deadbolts are easily defeated through picking, kicking and bump keys (Google it). After quite a bit of reading these guys seem to be at or near the top of the list http://www.medeco.com/.

The laminate, box strike and high security deadbolt will be the first additions to the new house before moving in in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed. Along with that I'll be getting an alarm system installed. ADT installed our current one for free along with a contract but I'm wondering if there are better options out there? Anybody have any advice or would it be better to start a new thread on electronic house security options?
    I just changed the lock on my door but it actually got me thinking. Ive kicked in my fare share of doors during search warrants and it's not the lock that usually gives - its the door frame thats thin and flimsy. Have any of you strenthened your frames at all? My area was plagued by a burglar who basically kicked the front door i, ran and grabbed whatever he saw and he was out..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rehearsals

Quote Originally Posted by Vlobb View Post

These are two VERY good ideas that I haven't thought of. I'm getting it done today.

I don't carry all the time in the house, but I almost always have my M9 (still in the military so I like to train with what I use for real) loaded and nearby. My wife has a M&P 9mm that she's used in Kay Miculek's course and she shoots IPSC a few times a year, so she's handy enough with it.

We have two dogs who love people so much that they bark like crazy whenever someone comes to the door. The barks sound VERY aggressive and most people won't come into the house until we secure the dogs. Funny, because they're both big babies, but no burglar would probably know that.

We also have a good house alarm. Every opening is on the alarm, and it's always armed to instant when we're home. There are also two motion detectors in case somehow the alarm didn't go off. I don't know how that would happen. The alarm works over a cell phone, so there's no cutting a phone line, and it has a 96 hour backup battery.

Outside the house, there are motion sensor lights covering the entire perimeter. Not a big deterrent, but they're a force multiplier.

If/when we do hear the big bump in the night, I grab my beretta with light and go straight to the potential threat, always trailing the dogs by at least one corner. The wife grabs her cell phone and her pistol, chambers a round, and moves to the room with the gun safe as soon as I leave the bedroom. Our floor plan allows her to do this; there is no outside access to this room. She dials 911, ready to press send on the first crack or scream. Then she goes through the entire combination on the safe before the last number, so if she needs her (or my) AR or more ammo, it's right there. We rehearse this regularly, which I think is very important to ensure success.

We also have a good trauma first aid kit ready with tourniquettes, quick clot combat gauze, regular gauze, and semi occlusive and occlusive dressings. My wife is in nursing school, and I've done a lot of combat first aid training, including live tissue, so we're both pretty good with this.

Aside for the pistols, all guns are locked in a safe. The pistols are locked up if we're gone. It's impossible to get a CCW in my state, so we both carry and practice with good folding knives (we have trainers for them too.) Occasionally I'll borrow one of the Tony Blauer High Gear suits from work and "attack" my wife and let her defend herself in and out of the house. She uses her training knife and her ASP "red gun" in realistic scenarios.

I hope we never have to use any of this, but if we do, I think the rehearsals will pay off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    I guess I am a big proponent of body armor and here is why. Most people think it is slow to put it on. It is all a matter of technique.

For us working in Iraq or Astan, rocket or mortar attacks can be common. You learn to get your armor on quickly. I found that putting on my full "work" vest to be slow since you normally have to use two hands due to the weight. In the dark it is even harder and things can get hung up as you are throwing it on. So, I went with a simple plate carrier with just a med kit on the front. I draped it over my night table with the rear plate flat on top of the table and the front plate hanging down in front. Since the rear plate has no kit on it, it lays flat. The inside portion of the carrier is facing up.

When I put it on, I simply grab the rear portion off the table and throw it over my head. This action can also be done with one hand if needed. Another way is to roll out of bed onto the floor (commonly done during attacks) and walk on all fours until your head goes goes into the plate carrier. I never sleep in a totally darkened room due to these constant threats. I want to see just enough to get to my kit. Oftentimes, this means nothing more than the glow from my laptop's screen.

People think putting on armor is slow because they only put it on for shooting courses and it is normally fastened. It is really a matter of a lack of training with the vest. You do not have to buckle the plate carrier right away. The weight will let it hang naturally over your chest.
    I was really thinking about getting some sort of armor for home protection. I am looking at the Interceptor soft armor system with no plates, just a plate carrier with stand alones, or a police style concealed vest. Which would be quickest to put on? Would I be better served by a small plate or a large soft armor system. I dont think I Would have home invaders armed with rifles but better to have and not need in todays world.

If I went with the plate carrier or interceptor, could I add an IFAK, quick single rifle reload (for a double feed), serpa platemounted speed pistol holster, some sort of knife and a spare surefire?

I was thinking keep a pistol and light next to my bed. Does the surefire x300 switch from glock to sig to pic rail without changing the little plastic piece or is it a pain like the stream light slr?

I dont want to clear my house but I have to get the youngsters out of their and into my room. Luckly we are all on the second floor.

Can you guys reccomend any tactics for having to clear my second floor? Our room is on the right side far end of the hall. We have a stairway next to it that leads down to the first. Its a long hall with the kids at the other hall which has another stair way. Maybe have the other half cover the stair way by our room and lock the one by the kids at night.

I carry 24/7 and never leave unsecure guns lay around my house. I keep a rifle in my room for her and one for me. I really need a light that I cant throw on before bed for my carry gun.

Thinking about hiding a baby monitor that will wake me up if there is sound down stairs and one of these dog alarms.

http://www.dutchguard.com/rex-p-persec.html
    Last edited by Hikingman; 11-25-10 at 18:44.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast