Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy LMT MWS or build Aero Precision?

Feedback Score
    I'd go LMT.

Read this about Aero .308...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...on-308-quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    I'd go LMT.

Read this about Aero .308...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...on-308-quality

Interesting stuff about the Aero complete guns. I used their upper receiver & m lok rail, with a Faxon barrel, then assembled it myself. The lower is an M1 Machining 80% I milled, and the lower parts were a mix (ALG ACT trigger w/ JP springs and BADASS safety selector--everything else was CMMG or DPMS; Ergo grip).

The rifle seems to like IMI 7.62 (it's a cheap date!). I have ~1500 rounds through it with three stovepipes.

When the OP wrote "build", I was thinking along those lines. If he meant "assemble". Then I think LMT is a better option, especially if debugging one's own build isn't part of the fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher.dow View Post
    Interesting stuff about the Aero complete guns. I used their upper receiver & m lok rail, with a Faxon barrel, then assembled it myself. The lower is an M1 Machining 80% I milled, and the lower parts were a mix (ALG ACT trigger w/ JP springs and BADASS safety selector--everything else was CMMG or DPMS; Ergo grip).

The rifle seems to like IMI 7.62 (it's a cheap date!). I have ~1500 rounds through it with three stovepipes.

When the OP wrote "build", I was thinking along those lines. If he meant "assemble". Then I think LMT is a better option, especially if debugging one's own build isn't part of the fun.

Ya I wasn't sure, so threw that out there.

Feedback Score
    I'd go with an Aero matched receiver set and piece together the rest.

OIF Vet | 0331

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good luck if you decide to go the AP route. :roll-eyes:
    I have another thread that's a review on an AP 308. It still likes to eat bolt catches to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher.dow View Post
    LMT makes good stuff, and you won't regret that route.

I built my 308 using some Aero parts (upper receiver, m lok rail, bcg) and a Faxon barrel. Groups at around .8 MOA. I had a lot of fun researching the parts and building the gun. Then I had more fun debugging it at the range. Now, I get a lot of satisfaction when I shoot it knowing that I built it. Everyone who's shot it got a big grin out of it. That gives me even more satisfaction.

I'd bet Aero's complete uppers are great. I've never bought one, but have their m lok rail on a 5.56 build as well as one of their barrels in another, so I feel like I have a good sense of their upper parts.

If you plan to build the upper from parts, know that Aero has stripped uppers out of stock. Rainier has them, but if you go that route, understand that the forward assist retention is a screw, not a pin, so be sure you can get the Aero kit for that. A pin might work (and standard forward assist parts are plentiful and inexpensive) but I know it's built for a screw.

A pleasure to be mentioned. Let us know if we can assist in any way!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Good luck if you decide to go the AP route. :roll-eyes:
    I have another thread that's a review on an AP 308. It still likes to eat bolt catches to this day.
    Easy solution: don't use an over gassed AP barrel with their cheesy bolt catch.

Feedback Score
    MWS for sure. After shooting several different semi-auto .308s, the MWS has a uniquely smooth recoil, and is pretty freakin accurate. I bought a 13.5" CL not too long ago, and I love everything about it.

Feedback Score
    Purchased an LMT MWS about a little over a year ago, have not used it much, maybe 700-800 rds, but all have been brutally accurate, did a few 'mag dumps' just to test reliability and have not had any issues ; then again not even 1k rds and very limited use, but so far so good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 03scgt View Post
    you can pick up a lightly used lmt for 2k these days so its really no contest.
    Yeah... from somebody like me who just paid $2400 two-mags and three-months ago...

The LMT MWS is the sorriest POS rifle I've ever owned.

If you choose to purchase one, improper assembly, horrificly damaged parts from the box, and fraudulent QC docs are all in the realm of possibility.

Then you have to deal with the customer service nightmare of a company who bit off more than they could chew with these AUS/ NZ contracts trying to competently assemble and return your firearm... and when you get it, it will insta-malf on you and fail to hold any kind of a decent group with M118LR (from the appropriate PMag, since I know someone will ask) .

If you're looking for a straight-banger, I'm not sure if a rock solid option exists in the AR-10 world yet... but the world of battle rifles is out there. If you're looking for a semi-auto precision rifle... well, mine was uniquely cursed, but the CL barrel guaranteed will-not-hang with the SR-25s and OBRs of the world (duh, right?).

At best it's an el Camino.

My advice- Skip it and either save for an SR-25 or throw the equivalent money into a bolt gun that will outperform all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast