Thread: Rifle gas system + telestock = ? buffer/spring

Feedback Score

Rifle gas system + telestock = ? buffer/spring

Hi gents; recently ordered a 20" rifle from CMMG, but at the last moment changed the A2 stock to a telestock.

Didn't realize it at the time, that this changes the buffer/spring. (That's what I get for reading all the great info on this site...and yes, I'm a rookie to AR15s).

So, to keep the telestock, what spring/buffer do I need to change to to get reliable operation?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been running a wolff extra power spring and a H2 buffer with great results in my rifles. I only use the Wolff spring because I use my lowers with piston uppers too but works with regular uppers great too, not to say a standard spring wouldn't.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A rifle length gas 20" will run just fine with a standard CAR 2.9oz buffer and standard rate CAR action/buffer spring.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Canadian Forces found that the H2 buffer was the most relibale weight over the barrel spectrum - and issue it on all lowers equipt with telestocks from 10" to 20"
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    All interesting info; so I'm guessing standard through H2 buffers work fine because the carbine spring has a higher rate than the rifle spring?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You'll be amazed at how smooth the rifle-length gas system runs with that setup. It's like butter.
    Instructor: Sniper, Carbine, Handgun, Shotgun
    Armorer: Glock, Colt AR15/M16
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    The Canadian Forces found that the H2 buffer was the most relibale weight over the barrel spectrum - and issue it on all lowers equipt with telestocks from 10" to 20"
    I find it interesting that they went that heavy. Heavier than CAR is to slow the bolt on a CAR gas length system. Rifle length doesn't need the slowing. I'm betting they went with much larger gas ports on the 20" barrels to be reliable with that heavy of a buffer. I've run a H2 and a H3 in a lower with a FN 20" barrel and with XM193.....I could tell that it was quite a bit weaker bolt velocity wise than with a rifle buffer/stock. Recoil feels like very weak ammo which XM193 is not.

I'd like to see a comparison of the gas port size on a US made Colt and FN 20" barrel vs the C7A2 barrel gas ports. I'm betting the C7A2 has much larger gas ports.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The C7A2 upper is interchangeable with the C7 or C7A1 -- no change to the barrel -- same gas port as the M16A2/A4
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I find it interesting that they went that heavy. Heavier than CAR is to slow the bolt on a CAR gas length system. Rifle length doesn't need the slowing. I'm betting they went with much larger gas ports on the 20" barrels to be reliable with that heavy of a buffer. I've run a H2 and a H3 in a lower with a FN 20" barrel and with XM193.....I could tell that it was quite a bit weaker bolt velocity wise than with a rifle buffer/stock. Recoil feels like very weak ammo which XM193 is not.

I'd like to see a comparison of the gas port size on a US made Colt and FN 20" barrel vs the C7A2 barrel gas ports. I'm betting the C7A2 has much larger gas ports.
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Buffer weights:

CAR buffer 2.96oz
    CMT H2 buffer 4.57oz
    CMT H3 buffer 5.43oz
    Enidine CAR buffer 4.34oz (newest type, softer spring rate)
    Rifle length buffer 5.2oz
    9mm steel buffer 5.6oz
    Colt X buffer 7.9oz
    The H2 buffer is lighter than the Rifle buffer. If anything with an H2 buffer on a 20" M16 the bolt and carrier should run at a slightly higher velocity than with a rifle buffer.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim2L View Post
    The H2 buffer is lighter than the Rifle buffer. If anything with an H2 buffer on a 20" M16 the bolt and carrier should run at a slightly higher velocity than with a rifle buffer.
    Very true but that's only part of the equation. The buffer springs are different as well.