Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Tactical Light placement?

Feedback Score

Preferred Tactical Light placement?

So I kind of have a thing for flashlights, even though I am no expert. I have played around with a few ways to mount them on my BCM where they will not interfere with normal operations. I have an offset mount with a couple normal size Streamlight's and EagleTac's. I was goofing around the other day with my Glock's TLR-1 and mounted it on the left side of my quad rail. After testing the brightness vs my other lights and distance/pattern, I really started liking this minimalistic profile on my rifle. So much so I have a TLR-1s on the way to be dedicated to it. It seems you can use your thumb easy enough for temporary on off, but it doesn't seem quite as functional as the direct push buttons on my other tac lights mounted in line with my thumb. In general having the light mounted on the same side as your support hand can take up more space and could be seen as a negative with limited rail space.

How do you guys mount your lights on your AR? Do you prefer having it in line with your support hand or opposite side out of the way? Reasons for opposite mounting? How important is temporary on / off in a home defense situation? Anyone sporting TLR-1 or similar low profile lights? Preference on mounting?

Thanks,

Red Rezin

*See attached for my current setup.

Feedback Score
    It's really about personal preferences and what functions best for you and your needs.

I started with a Surefire G2 mounted on the support hand side of my rifle. I had it on that side so I could use my thumb to push the temp on button. I did not like it on that side because being right handed I would typically post up on a wall, or other support, with that side of my rifle.

I now use the SF M951, it's a little larger than the G2 but it has a dedicated mount and a temp switch that I taped to the FVG.

Feedback Score
    When I use the taxpayers' carbine with the A2, I put a M.I. A2 clamp on rail on the triangle. I mount the light with a scope ring to the rail.

My currant personal carbine has a DD Rail. Here I use a Viking Tac light mount on the right side (I'm a righty). This puts the light beam high, above the barrel.

When I go back to the EOTech, I might go back to the scope ring, to keep the field of view clear.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies.

Kickin-Ewoks - I could see this practicality - also being a righty - with the posting up on left side with rifle, I hadn't thought much of that. However are you more worried about damaging your light or blocking the beam? In a home defense situation I can't imagine posting up much personally on a door frame etc... maybe more of daytime shooting outdoors when the light wouldn't be in use.

Any other practical reasons to have the light on the right side instead of left? A remote switch would remove the need for left and get it out of the way to grip further. I know the TLR-1 is sturdy enough to take a beating and mounts tight. Wouldn't be worried about hitting it. I do see images with the lights mounted on the right often and am curious why.

Also wondering the advantages of a full size light vs compact like TLR-1. My personal beam comparisons vs Streamlight Polytac and the Streamlight Polytac HP puts the TLR-1 in a perfect balance between the two. The throw is slightly better than the standard Polytac. TLR1s should have more lumens than HP, havent received that one yet. Also, TLR is less weight than the HP with mount and way less bulky. HP has a tighter throw pattern outside @ 100 yards, but TLR1 easily lights up same distance only wider.

Let me know your thoughts. Appreciate the alternate suggestions.

Thanks,

Red Rezin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecanary View Post
    When I use the taxpayers' carbine with the A2, I put a M.I. A2 clamp on rail on the triangle. I mount the light with a scope ring to the rail.

My currant personal carbine has a DD Rail. Here I use a Viking Tac light mount on the right side (I'm a righty). This puts the light beam high, above the barrel.

When I go back to the EOTech, I might go back to the scope ring, to keep the field of view clear.
    So with both mounting options, do you just engage the light and leave it on, or do you have a system for temporary on/off?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rezin View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Kickin-Ewoks - I could see this practicality - also being a righty - with the posting up on left side with rifle, I hadn't thought much of that. However are you more worried about damaging your light or blocking the beam? In a home defense situation I can't imagine posting up much personally on a door frame etc... maybe more of daytime shooting outdoors when the light wouldn't be in use.

Any other practical reasons to have the light on the right side instead of left? A remote switch would remove the need for left and get it out of the way to grip further. I know the TLR-1 is sturdy enough to take a beating and mounts tight. Wouldn't be worried about hitting it. I do see images with the lights mounted on the right often and am curious why.

Also wondering the advantages of a full size light vs compact like TLR-1. My personal beam comparisons vs Streamlight Polytac and the Streamlight Polytac HP puts the TLR-1 in a perfect balance between the two. The throw is slightly better than the standard Polytac. TLR1s should have more lumens than HP, havent received that one yet. Also, TLR is less weight than the HP with mount and way less bulky. HP has a tighter throw pattern outside @ 100 yards, but TLR1 easily lights up same distance only wider.

Let me know your thoughts. Appreciate the alternate suggestions.

Thanks,

Red Rezin
    This gun sits next to my bed every night. In my case; our bedroom is directly adjacent to the kid’s bedrooms, at the end of a hallway. If a dirt bag decides to enter my house I would post up in the door way looking down the hall, the door frame would be on my left so I would brace the left side of my rifle and not expose my body.

My main concern is stopping a threat from moving down the hall to our bedrooms. If the light were on the left side it would be a little more difficult to brace because the light does not offer a flat surface.

Again it all comes down to your application. Personally; if an intruder is moving down the hall towards me, and he is armed, I do not want present him with a good target. Mix it up and see what works best for you, I've reconfigured this rifle 6 times.

Also, I went with a remote switch light because I do not have to change my support hand grip to operate the light, just squeeze.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickin-Ewoks View Post
    This gun sits next to my bed every night. In my case; our bedroom is directly adjacent to the kid’s bedrooms, at the end of a hallway. If a dirt bag decides to enter my house I would post up in the door way looking down the hall, the door frame would be on my left so I would brace the left side of my rifle and not expose my body.

My main concern is stopping a threat from moving down the hall to our bedrooms. If the light were on the left side it would be a little more difficult to brace because the light does not offer a flat surface.

Again it all comes down to your application. Personally; if an intruder is moving down the hall towards me, and he is armed, I do not want present him with a good target. Mix it up and see what works best for you, I've reconfigured this rifle 6 times.

Also, I went with a remote switch light because I do not have to change my support hand grip to operate the light, just squeeze.
    All very good points, I'm still feeling out what I like best and appreciate the well thought out comments. TLR-1 does have a flat surface when mounted sideways, but I'll have to see if posting up it gets in the way. I also agree the less you have to do from the norm for on/off the better. I've always felt like rifle configs are like legos for adults. I'm a fan of mixing it up and see what makes sense.

I'm still curious what people do when it is mounted on the right side without a remote trigger because I like the idea of it on that side, I'm just not sure how it would make sense operation wise - unless you don't care about temporary on/off and just leave it on.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I run mine on the right side and operate it with my middle finger

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    On my 6920 I have a Surefire Scout mounted at 9:00 with an IWC Mount-N-Slot on a Magpul MOE handguard. I use the tailcap switch with my left thumb.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I personally like my light (Surefire Scout M600) at 3:00 o'clock with the pressure switch at 12:00 o'clock. I would use my weak (left) hand's thumb to operate the light.

Here's a pic: (sorry, it's alittle difficult to see the light and pressure switch)

"All cops have to make judgment calls they hope they won't regret. No cop ever bats a thousand." - Southland

"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry your body." - Jack Bauer

"And maybe remind the few if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stand between the monsters and the weak."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast