Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Freefloat vs better non-float rail?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Cheap Freefloat vs better non-float rail?

I'm building a rifle for a local PD SGT at his request. By his own admission he doesn't know much about AR's, and so is trusting my recommendations. He is looking for something better than his current issued Bushmaster with A2 upper. Here's the parts list so far:

BCM Blem upper rec. (from BCM yesterday)
    Daniel Defense 16" LW CHF carbine gas barrel with FSP (from Primary Arms yesterday)
    BCM BCG (letting him have my spare)
    PSA stripped lower receiver (letting him have my spare)
    PSA lower build kit (ordered from PSA a couple weeks ago)
    BCM H buffer (from BCM yesterday)

He says he wants a rail. I suggested to him that the MOE handguards might be the better way to go, but he was pretty dead set on a rail.

Currently he wants a VFG and a light on them. He mentioned something about a laser in the future as his reason for wanting a rail.

So here's my question:

Is it better to go with a non-floating rail (KAC RAS, Surefire M73) that is likely to at least have picatinny spec rails, but is not free-floating, or better to go with a lower-quality free-floating rail (YHM, MI)?

The budget for the rail is $150.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ASH556; 01-29-13 at 09:35.
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure you could get a Troy rail for about that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    How is he going to shoot it? If he's never, ever going to fire past 25-50 Yards/Meters a KAC or Surefire (or any other good rail to hang stuff on) will more than serve his purposes.

Most won't/can't tell the difference between standard and free-float performance, period.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That SCREAMS KAC RAS all day long.

Troy isn't an acceptable duty option in my opinion. I'm running one temporarily... but You can look down the rail from the back of the receiver and see the top rail on the Troy curve up.

The ****ing extrusion isn't even straight.

I run 4 KAC RAS rails and love them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    So, KAC ras blem ($150 from KAC)

or

MI 12.5" FSP Freefloat? ($179 from PA).

(Sounds like the KAC is still probably the winner.)

EDIT: or what about the KAC RAS II (free-floating, but with the hump). It's also $150 from KAC.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    How is he going to shoot it? If he's never, ever going to fire past 25-50 Yards/Meters a KAC or Surefire (or any other good rail to hang stuff on) will more than serve his purposes.

Most won't/can't tell the difference between standard and free-float performance, period.
    I'd say he'll need it out to 100 yds...fair bit of rural around the area. What sparked all of this was a call where guy with a gun came out of a building 75 yds away @ night. Iron sights, no lights, etc suck @ night when you're trying to tell what the guy and his gun are doing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Get him the KAC rail. GIs and allies have been abusing them for over 20 years now.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    You can get an 11" Troy Bravo Rail for $150 shipped. It's free floating and rugged as can be. It weighs 13oz and uses the standard barrel nut. It installs exactly like the Troy Alpha Rail. I run it on my BCM and it's top notch and extremely underrated. Anything else at that price point would be foolish, IMO. They are seriously a little known gem.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That SCREAMS KAC RAS all day long.

Troy isn't an acceptable duty option in my opinion. I'm running one temporarily... but You can look down the rail from the back of the receiver and see the top rail on the Troy curve up.

The ****ing extrusion isn't even straight.

I run 4 KAC RAS rails and love them.

What Troy rail is this? Some old ass outdated model they do not make anymore? I've had a Troy Alpha Rail and Troy Bravo Rail and both are among the best rails I've used. Certainly the best in their price range. If yours is out of spec then why not have them replace it?

Troy has come a very long way with their free floating rails and tubes. Any of their new ones such as the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, or Delta are all very high quality and priced very attractively. You should not pass judgement on products you have not used and make claims that they are not "acceptable for duty". I would not hesitate for a second to run my Bravo Rail in the harshest of environments - it's very comparable to the 12" Centurion C4 and less than half the price. In fact, I can't think of one thing about the C4 that's "better" unless you like the two piece design, same exact features otherwise.
    Last edited by djmorris; 01-29-13 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    I would get the Fortis rail. IT was available for $179 and close to his budget.

As for me, Free or not-free - not much difference except when you want to shoot Magpul Style - fully extended arm. Non-free float, on a carbine, you just don't have enough room to fully extend.

I have quite a few in both styles and I can't prove one way or another that free float improves "barrel harmonics" nor accuracy.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djmorris View Post

What Troy rail is this? Some old ass outdated model they do not make anymore? I've had a Troy Alpha Rail and Troy Bravo Rail and both are among the best rails I've used. Certainly the best in their price range. If yours is out of spec then why not have them replace it?

Troy has come a very long way with their free floating rails and tubes. Any of their new ones such as the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, or Delta are all very high quality and priced very attractively. You should not pass judgement on products you have not used and make claims that they are not "acceptable for duty". I would not hesitate for a second to run my Bravo Rail in the harshest of environments - it's very comparable to the 12" Centurion C4 and less than half the price. In fact, I can't think of one thing about the C4 that's "better" unless you like the two piece design, same exact features otherwise.
    You work for Troy or associated with ownership?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast